PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Drivers License (CDL)

Denny
01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
I live in Ohio and all we need to operate an RV is a regular drivers license. Since that was the law, I never felt it necessary to get any other type of license. Recently I purchased a 1958 B Model Mack dump truck and sold my smaller one. I use this truck and trailer to haul my tractor, skid steer and mini excavator to help out family and friends with volunteer labor.

My other dump and trailer had a lower GCVW so I did not need a CDL. With this one being larger, I needed to get my CDL. I enrolled at a local truck driving school for a 40 hour CDL course and passed so now I am an official truck driver! Well, after 40 hours of training, which includes all of the maneuvers and road time in a 70 ft. tractor and trailer, I found out how much I did not know. I would strongly urge anyone driving a bus to get some professional training and at least a passenger bus CDL even if their state does not require it. I have always been fascinated with trucks so I decided to get the Class A in a tractor trailer rig rather than a dump truck and trailer. I now have a new found respect for a truck driver's abilities. I think many of them forget what they learned in training but they have to be able to handle that rig to pass the many parts of the test.

Prior to starting school, I had to pass three tests to get my learner's permit. This included a basic knowledge test, air brake test and a combination test. I wanted to get a Class A license for my truck and trailer so that is why I took the combination test. If I wanted a bus CDL, I would have taken the basic, air brakes and passenger bus tests. I also had to have a DOT physical prior to the start of drivers training.

The driving school training consisted of 40 hours of training for the Class A CDL. This is different from truck driving training consisting of a 10 week course. I was not interested in the truck driver training which would include log books, weights, driving times, securing loads, etc. I only wanted one-on-one professional training to get my Class A CDL. I felt that if I was trained on a 70 ft long tractor trailer I can certainly handle a 45 ft bus, which I had been doing the past 5 years, and it does not bend in the middle.

The training consisted of several different maneuvers, backing up straight for 150 ft, backing into a loading dock, blind side parallel docking (parking) and several other situations. Ironically, many of the maneuvers are what we do everyday in our buses - getting into a camping space, backing into a space for an overnight stop in a truck stop - except the vehicle was a 70 ft tractor trailer. There was also road training which consisted of Interstate driving and local city traffic driving. If the bus CDL is chosen, the vehicle would be your bus. Also, a 150 point pre-trip inspection was part of the training. It was stressed how important this is to be sure the vehicle is safe to operate prior to beginning a trip.

After 40 hours of very grueling training it was time for the CDL test. It began with the pre trip inspection which 30 minutes is allotted for this part. Then came the maneuvers test. You are tested on three of the five maneuvers. Everyone has to do the 150 ft straight back test. I was in an 8 ft wide rig and the alley was 12 feet wide. Next I had to do a blind side ally dock which is the equivalent of parallel parking. The dock is 85 ft long and you have to park a 70 ft truck into the space. Next was a left side docking. This is the same as the blind side docking except there is a lot more length than the 85 ft in the blind side dock. (Don't remember the length). Some of the maneuvers were not pretty but I got the truck into the docks and did not go out of bounds.

The next test is the road test. This consisted of highway and city driving, stop and go, pulling off of the road to simulate an emergency, left hand turns and right hand turns and safely changing lanes. Oh, I might add that the truck had a 10 speed manual transmission and you are graded on up shifting and down shifting also. Boy do I love my bus's Allison automatic transmission!

I am 63 years old and have been driving since I was 14, legally since 16. I can't express how much I learned from this training. I would strongly urge everyone to get at least a bus CDL even if it is not required by the state you live in. I now feel much more confident and more knowledgeable about the bus I am driving and my abilities to drive that bus. It was a very stressful week and the old adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" came to my mind many times during my week of training. But with prayer and a patient instructor, I was able to complete the course and pass the Class A CDL test.

truk4u
01-18-2011, 07:52 PM
That's great Denny, be sure to check with your Insurance Company, I get a discount for having a CDL.

Do you have the song "Convoy" now running in your head that you can't get rid of?:p:)

J B Hunt is still looking for a few good men.....

Jon Wehrenberg
01-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Excellent post. Good advice.

rfoster
01-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Congratulations Denny.

michaeldterry
01-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Excellent post and advice from Denny! I've had my CDL since about 1985 and am glad that I took the training to get it. I had been driving tractor trailers and intercity buses since 1973, but still learned a great deal that I believe continues to make me a safer driver even today. And Jon is correct - I get a discount on my insurance because of the CDL!

Jon Wehrenberg
01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Truk said that and he is correct about the discount. More importantly the obtaining of a CDL really makes us aware of a pre-trip inspection and if nothing else that is a huge benefit.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
""The training consisted of several different maneuvers. After 40 hours of very grueling training it was time for the CDL test. "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" "

Man, where do I go and who do I see about getting my certificate? I have been doing this for 8 years now with Ed.:confused: :rolleyes:

Serious now, Congratulations Denny!! I'm sure you feel more confident now in the bus! Or do you worry more now?:)

Sandy

Terry J. Sturgis
01-20-2011, 03:20 AM
Denny, congrats on getting your CDL. Mine cost $3,500.00 for the training. Got mine to drive for Werner Enterprises. Discovered that six weeks on the road with no home time was not the life I was looking for. Been married for 43 years, shooting for 100.
The training does help when backing my 36 foot truck with 30 foot trailer into a parking space. Once again, job well done. Terry

Denny
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks to all for the positive replies. I always felt very comfortable driving the bus, or any other RV I have owned since 1992, but the CDL does give me more confidence in that I have been properly trained in a large vehicle. The last driving course I had was when I was 16 and over the years many of the things taught then have been forgotten or have been modified to create sloppy driving. For example, in drivers training I was taught to go into the intersection then begin to make the left 90 degree turn. Many times the turn became a 45 degree turn rather than a 90 degree. With a truck is has to be a 90 degree turn or your trailer just took the front off of the vehicle sitting there. This can easily be related to driving a bus and towing a vehicle.

Many times Jon and others has talked about doing a pre trip DOT brake check. How many actually do this or even know how to do it? I did not know what all was involved. Yes, my air pressure gauges came up to max, the air discharged and I was ready to roll. There was no further checking. I did not know if my spring brakes would actually engage if I suddenly lost air pressure or even if the low air buzzer was working. I now know how to check all of the air brake functions before leaving. This is something that must be done every day prior to beginning the day's driving.

These are just two examples of the many, many items that are necessary to make us safer drivers. I thought I knew a lot about driving but after taking the CDL course I found out how much I didn't know. We talk about our buses being depreciating assets. The money spent for CDL training is NOT a depreciating asset; it is an APPRECIATING asset. It will make us safer drivers and enjoy our traveling much more.

gmcbuffalo
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
I am confused on the CDL learners permit. Sounds like if you apply for one you need to have a licensed CDL driver with you when you go to take the test with your bus. Why? If you are allowed to drive you bus with a regular drivers license why do you need this other person just to show up at the DMV? Help me out with this, am i wrong?
GregM

Denny
01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Greg,
To the best of my knowledge, a licensed driver is not required to get the passenger bus CDL if you are taking the test in your bus RV. This is because a license is not required to operate an RV bus in Ohio, just as you stated. However, if you wanted to get a Class B CDL with a passenger bus endorsement to drive for a charter bus company then you would need to have a license driver with you to practice. Again, this is assuming that you do not own a bus RV and want to get a job as a bus driver and will be taking the test in a charter company bus or the school's bus. If this is the situation, then you would have to pass the test on General Knowledge, Air Brakes and the Passenger Bus endorsement to receive your learner's permit.

In my case, I went for the Class A CDL so that I can legally drive my dump truck and trailer. I cannot drive a bus for a charter bus company without going back and getting the passenger bus endorsement. My main reason for getting the CDL was to use my truck and trailer. It was only after going through the school that I realized how valuable the training was and a great deal of it applied to driving our buses. If a person does not need to be licensed to drive a tractor trailer or any combination vehicle over 26,000 lbs, then I would recommend going for the Class B CDL with the passenger bus endorsement.

This is in Ohio, each state will be different even though it is a National CDL. I hope that makes things clearer.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
If you live in a state that does not require a CDL you can drive your bus anytime because when you get a learners permit for a CDL you only need a qualified driver with you when you drive a vehicle that requires a CDL. Since the bus may not require one you can continue driving it.

However, to take the test you need to bring a vehicle that meets the requirements of one requiring a CDL of the class you are being tested for. Since our buses are over 26,000 and have air brakes some states may recognize that as an acceptable vehicle, but I suggest checking with the DMV regarding if it is acceptable for the test because it likely does not have the commercial plate.

In NY for example you cannot take a Class B driving test on a truck unless it has the HUT (highway use tax) tag which qualifies it to have a licensed weight in excess of 18,000 pounds. Even though adding the decal is all that is required to make it qualified you cannot use it for the test without the tag even though you intend to add the tag as soon as you get the license to drive it with a tag. So as strange as that is, it may be appropriate to check with DMV regarding your local laws.

gmcbuffalo
01-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Guys
Greg