PDA

View Full Version : water leak in by containing my kenitico water softner/conditioner

Prevost1111
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
happy new years pogs. i am finding a small puddle of water in the by that contains my water softner. i have checked lines and am not hearing my on demad water pump come on unless i am using water. the water seems to be coming from around the area that container that containes the salt pellets. I can't hear or see any water leaking, but if i come back and look after a day i will see the puddle. Any suggestion or thoughts would be much appreciated

thanks

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-07-2011, 09:54 AM
happy new years pogs. i am finding a small puddle of water in the by that contains my water softner. i have checked lines and am not hearing my on demad water pump come on unless i am using water. the water seems to be coming from around the area that container that containes the salt pellets. I can't hear or see any water leaking, but if i come back and look after a day i will see the puddle. Any suggestion or thoughts would be much appreciated

thanks

Tap your finger in the puddle and test the water on your tongue for a salty taste.

JIM

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Jim I hate to correct your theory, but USUALLY the water from a softener does not have much of a salt taste. If it did nobody would use the softeners for the drinking water. The salt content in most softener water is less than the salt % wise in your own tear drop >>>> Just thought you would like to know.

Gary S.

ajducote
01-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Is the salt brine container overfilling when the system cycles to back flush the tank?

If your system is like mine, there should be valves to turn off and bypass the water softener. I would try that and see if that isolates the leak.
If it still leaks, it's not the water softener.

rahangman
01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Having in the past, 2 different Kinetico systems in 2 different locations, I would call a local Kinetico Tech and ask them to look at their system. I can not speak highly enough of what they did for us when I lived in Michigan and had some "Mean" water. Top notch system, beat the old Culligan lads hands down. Great product and great service.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Gary, I am familiar with the workings of a water softener and was not implying there would be salt in the potable water!

Mike said;"the water seems to be coming from around the area that container that containes the salt pellets."

I was addressing that statement and the taste test I suggested might let him know if in fact the salt storage container was the leaking container.

JIM

Prevost1111
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Jim thanks for the advice, the water indeed was coming at the very bottom of the container that holds the salt pellets. I pulled the container and was able to find a very small leak. I found some patching putty that can even be used underwater from ace hardware, patched the container, let it set for a few hours and reinstalled the container. So far no leaks. I call Kenitico and they told me that is something that is very rare and will be sending me a new container. Thanks again

wmoureau
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
we are looking for a post about priming a water pump on a Liberty Coach, 1997

Jon Wehrenberg
03-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Wayne,

Fill the water tank. Make sure the water pump valve is open.

I then open the faucet on the water bay door and wait a few minutes to let gravity cause water to flow from the tank into and through the water pump. Turn the pump on and as soon as you see water come through the faucet close the faucet. The pump will be primed.

Sometimes folks do not allow the head pressure of water in the tank to cause water to flow through the pump by releasing air from the system which is what you are doing by opening the faucet.