PDA

View Full Version : Webasto fuel filters

LarryB
12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
My Webasto has 2 small 'throw away' fuel filters. An AquaHot Tech suggest that I replace the 2 small filters with a 'spin on' canister.
Anyone see a problem with this modification or it's necessity?

LNDYCHT
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
As long as the micron rating is the same or better it shouldn't make a difference. I would prefer which ever is easiest to change and obtain replacement filters for. I know that my system has a canister style filter that is hard to change and a poorly designed POS. The only reason I didn't change out the whole unit the last time was I had a spare ( the only spare the coach came with).

Just my 2 cents worth

LA-HODAG
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Change the filter to the type that's easiest to find. Mine came with an obscure mini filter that was impossible to find in a pinch. I found out on a cold winter night when the Webasto stopped running due to clogged filter. Not to mention a cold night, I wasted a day of my vacation trying to find a replacement and then finally swapping it out for a more common type.

BenC
01-03-2011, 10:20 AM
The existing filters which you have are 33053, Napa Gold 3053, and the canister type, replacement element WIX 33583, Napa Gold 3583, or original Racor R12-T. The "upgrade" the Aqua Hot technician told you about is a Racor fuel filter with replaceable canister and visible water bowl at the bottom. Most converters made the change to this exact fuel filter/separator unit at some point in the 2000's for the water separator aspect as well as fuel filteration, but above are the Napa and Wix numbers for your current filters.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't change my Webasto fuel filter for several years. Before anyone jumps all over me for that consider a couple of facts. First, it is the same size as the one used on my generator primary. It will flow a lot of fuel before it clogs up. A whole lot of fuel. But if I do get a bad tank of fuel it will do its job.

I have no way of knowing hours of use on the Webasto (yet) but it gets used less than the generator and I change them out at 150 to 200 hours. I expect the generator uses about twice the fuel per hour as the Webasto. (Just a guess).

If I find any signs of contaminents in the engine Racor filter bowl, I change every filter including the Webasto.

LarryB
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the comments fellas, the replacement filter AquaHot is suggesting is a Gerber[sp]. He sells both the Racor and the Gerber and his opinion is the Gerber is better and less $$.

daverjr4
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
It's called a Garbar fuel filter which is use in many CC as well as other manufactures.

daverjr4
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Opps I meant to write Garber fuel filter here is their link http://www.garberfilters.com/

LarryB
01-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info and link Dave, that is the filter that was installed.