View Full Version : PilotFlyingJ

Jon Wehrenberg
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
New advantage card here.

Might be worth doing:

http://www.frequentfueleradvantage.com/

AprilWhine
12-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jon, I registered. Not as good as the old FJ program that let RVers fill at the truck pump for the cash price, but better than nothing.

-Sherry

Jerry Winchester
12-31-2010, 10:59 PM
I have been avoiding FJ like the plague. Driving today from San Antonio to Houston, FJ Diesel - $3.35 My neighborhood Kroger - $2.89

Even the stations around the house are $3.05. Since the FJ meltdown, their fuel prices are as bad as Love's and since you can't dump for free, they are dead to me.

truk4u
01-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Same in GA, local Racetrac 3.19, Flying J at GA/FL line 3.34. And it's such a pleasure to pull up to the pumps on the truckside, go inside, estimate the amount of fuel it will take to fill, give them your credit card so they can do a pre-authorization, go back out and fuel, then go back in and run the credit card again for the fuel amount while making sure your pre-authorization didn't get charged. Same process if you use cash, count your money!

Would have used the RV side, but it was lined up out to the road with the camper social hour in full swing. Flying J has gone downhill fast.

phorner
01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm not much of a Flying J fan either.

Tom is right on with the comments about the hassles of fueling.

My worst experience at a Flying J was in Virginia. We pulled in around 6:00 pm and the RV area was jammed. So, we fueled up and parked at the back of the truck lot to get some sleep. At 3:00 am, a Flying J attendant woke us up knocking on the side of the coach. Told us we had to leave because we were in the truck area. Nice way to show their appreciation for my business.

I need to be real low on fuel to give them any of my money....

Jamie Bradford
01-01-2011, 09:20 AM
The local stations OFF the interstate are usually much cheaper! I filled up this week near my house for $ 3.09 ( Georgia) and by the time I got to I-75 ( 10 miles or so ) prices were 12-15 cents more. As I headed south Pilot , Loves etc were $ 3.39???? 30 cents a gallon turns into real money when you fill one of these things!!!!

Jon Wehrenberg
01-01-2011, 09:40 AM
To add to this discourse Truk's description of the song and dance required with two trips to the cashier and the associated waiting in line drove me nuts.

So I started in on Pilot, becoming a real pain in the ass as I worked up the corporate ladder to see if I could get the job done without leaving the pump. This was at the time Flying J was starting to get stupid eliminating their discounts.

The bottom line is I got a Pilot credit card. It is only good at Pilot and now Flying J. I get the cash price. I swipe that card, my loyalty card and the pump turns on. When I am done filling I drive away. At the end of the month I get an email with my bill and I cut a check for my fuel purchases.

Pilot is based here in Knoxville and I think I just embarrased the guy that got the credit card for me by telling him how hard he was making it for me to get fuel at the truck stop three miles from my house and how easy it was to buy fuel from his competitor on the other side of the interstate. I think that Pilot will respond favorably to doing the same thing providing POG members with their credit cards because they win on all counts. They don't experience the credit card fees they are charged by Visa or Mastercard. We don't have to tie up a cashier. Having the card makes us more loyal since we don't have to use cash but get the cash price.

The downside to us is the card is not useful anywhere else but I'm OK with that. I have also gotten OK with paying a few cents more to fill up at home because for the $.05 or $.06 extra per gallon the additional amount I spend is worth it for the convenience. On the road I still look for cheap.

I use this site to scope out prices: http://www.gasbuddy.com/

rahangman
01-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm ... has anyone ever given thought to approaching Flying J/ Pilot for a "Pog Special"????

ToyMan
01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
At my hometown exit, today's Flying J price is $3.46. Across the interstate at the Circle K, which have 2 truck/RV lanes and never crowded, #3.26. 20¢ a gallon can add up.

This particular Flying has stopped putting their fuel prices on their marquee.

The TA (Travel America) directly across from the Flying J has a free dump station. Don't have to buy their fuel either.

AprilWhine
01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Until recently, we were traveling on business, with some of our legs being New Jersey to California. FJ is no favorite, but can be located on the internet, and their prices are also posted on diesel web sites.

Not having a home base, I refuse to take a 65 ft rig into a small town to survey fuel prices. I can always get into and out of an FJ, and they send me free dump codes. Never had to pay to dump there. Don't love them, but I do use them.

The kickback on the Amex is about the same as the price break on their card, so not worth the trouble to us.

Jim