PDA

View Full Version : Generator Shut Down

Richard Barnes
12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Getting ready to leave for the west coast in the morning and experienced generator shut down this evening. Belt is intact, coolant and oil okay and the fuel pump is relatively new - replaced about 6 months ago. When I start the generator it starts and then immediately shuts down. The strangest thing is that if I hold the switch in the start position it runs as long as I hold it - let it go and it shuts down. Any ideas?

Sid Tuls
12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Richard,I had that this summer and my problem was that my fuel level in the coach was at a low level. When it gets to a certain point level the generator shuts down so as it won't run the bus out of fuel. I had the same thing I went to the generator bay and held down the start switch and as soon as I released it it shut down. I hope it's that simple for you.

Pete
12-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Richard, another suggestion....If you have auto-start on your bus, be sure it is off. On my coach, if the auto-start is turned on, and the generator is started, it will run for a short time and shut down,...the genset thinks the batteries are to the proper charge and shuts down. Just a suggestion.

Richard Barnes
12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Sid but I have a full tank in expectation of leaving in the morning. It's something else this time but thanks for the reply. Hope you're doing well.

Richard Barnes
12-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Checked the autostart Pete and it was off. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep looking.

merle&louise
12-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Richard,

I had a similiar problem - Newell diagnosed it as a weak fuel solenoid. I changed the fuel solenoid (easy) and the problem was fixed!

Hopefully that is all your problem is because it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

AprilWhine
12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Most of these gensets have a LOPCO low oil pressure cut off. It lets the genset start with no oil pressure, then the controller checks for oil pressure when it gen starts. If it sees no oil pressure, it shuts down. Just short across the oil pressure switch, crank and if it runs that switch is your problem.

That was one of my easiest money makers in a previous life.....

Good luck, Jim

Richard Barnes
12-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks Jim, any idea on where to find that switch?

Richard

Orren Zook
12-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Richard, You might also check the Liberty Watchdog (rear wall of second bay, road side) and/or operation of radiator fan.

AprilWhine
12-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Richard,

It is usually easy to find, somewhere around the oil filter screwed into the block. Standard 40 year old type, one wire in the center of a plastic insert in a mushroom sized metal can. I believe from memory it grounds to run, in order to kill the engine if the switch fais, or the wire fall off.

Link to a photo of a representative example. \

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACDelco-D1805-Oil-Pressure-Switch-/140491847696?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b5f77810

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Richard, The Watchdog can be disconnected from the generator and you can manually start the generator. All of your safety features for automatic shutdown will be rendered inoperative, but if the watchdog or the associated sensors are at fault this will take them out of the system temporarily until you can get the problem identified.

I believe there is a red plate in the second bay with instructions relating to disconnecting the Watchdog.

dreamchasers
12-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Richard,

The attached link is to the Powertech 17.5 kva generator, which is in my coach. Since our coaches are close to the same age, perhaps this will help. It is a 5 meg plus download, big file.

http://www.texasdrifters.net/pog/PTSMH - 15-17.5-20 OPERATORS MANUAL.pdf

Hope this helps.

Hector

gmcbuffalo
12-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Richard since the engine runs when you hold the switch your problem is in not fuel. You have a bad circuit board that controls the generator side of the system. If the systems doesn't see voltage being produced it shuts the engine off.
Greg

Richard Barnes
12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input. Finally got the generator running after a frustrating day of trying everything that was suggested. To make a long story short I've learned a valuable lesson about trusting my eyes. I pulled every fuse and looked at them to make sure they were good but I initially didn't test them for continuity with a meter. While they all looked good, the fuel solenoid fuse had a crack at one end and even though the filament was intact it had broken away from the end cap. I found this only after changing the fuses in desperation. When the generator started, I tested them with a meter which I should have done in the first place. Happy New Year to everyone!

gmcbuffalo
01-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Richard when you said that the engine would run by holding down the switch did you mean that it was turning over or actually running?