PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Problem??

LarryB
12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
While parked in a 'not so level' lot for a month the front of the bus has settled just a bit. While puttering around I tried to see how much space there was between the top of the tire and the wheel well. There is NONE, the wheel well is resting on the tire. I plan to fire up the Bus and re-level but here is the question; I thought the design of the Prevost chassis was such that if an air bag went flat there would be enough clearance to allow the Bus to be driven to a safe stopping spot. If that is correct then I have a problem.

truk4u
12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Larry,

With the bag completely deflated, the bumper in the bag should keep the bus body (wheel well) off the tire. Are you sure it's not just real close and can you get a finger up in between the tire and foam? I assume your still on 315's and not gone to a bigger tire.

LarryB
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Tom, I can not get a laminated card between the top of the tire and the foam, it is foam to rubber contact. Sounds as if I have a bag without a bumper or, a defective bumper.

Will Garner
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Larry, if it is foam you may just have too much foam.

gmcbuffalo
12-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Larry I would guess that a seated coach would not have foam and therefore not have a problem. Isn<#t foam a converter added feature?

Kenneth Brewer
12-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I would also suggest, if I may, too much foam applied during the conversion stage, perhaps. which should have been ground away to fit if the coach were/is moved with the bags dumped and likely be no further problem, otherwise I would expect a burnt friction smell now if you do this (take it easy so as not to start any fire - have an extinguisher ready); (have someone) take a look at the tire while doing this as well. My unsolicited two cents.

LarryB
12-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Will, seems like the foam is uniform in thickness.

Greg, I don't know if foam is converter added or not. Someone will probably set us straight on that.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Prevost applies the foam. When in the fully deflated condition the coach is supported by internal bump stops in the air bags. I have never tried to measure if there was space between the tire and the sound deadener i the wheel well, but I do know mine does not show evidence of having been worn or damaged by a rolling tire. Based on that I am sure my coach has space.

I have a beam axle so I cannot even guess the situation with the IFS front suspension. I think the best way to determine if your coach is normal or has a problem is to look at other coaches with the IFS.

I would not drive the coach at highway speeds with a deflated air bag, but could be convinced to drive it at walking speed to a safe place not too far away.

lonesome george
12-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Larry, my storage barn is on the short side so in order to get the bus in it must go in sitting on the deck, I have no signs of contact between the tires and the wheel house from driving it in on the bump stops.
Is the zero clearance the same on both sides?
You might try finding some level ground and lower the bus to see what you have then.

garyde
12-24-2010, 08:09 PM
According to some members, it has been discovered they had the wrong air bags on their coach. If you can find a # on the air bag, you can confirm you have the correct one.

Reagan Sirmons
12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Guys,
It is not a perfect world and under certain circumstances, the tire and the extended fender will touch when the levelling process occurs.
It actually does not take very much of an incline for this to happen. I would say less that 10 inches? My tire can fairly easily touch the "fender".
Let me know if you think this is really unusual. I simply stop the leveling process and re adjust manually to get the best results under the circumstances if I see this happening.
At the University of Texas games, we have an uneven lot and there are all sorts of contraptions used. I rely on the Prevosr leveling and it is very close to perfect.
Pres

Loc
12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
You'd think the t-sips could get a level parking lot.