PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes in carpet

dreadnought
11-02-2006, 06:42 AM
The walls and floor of the bays in my bus are covered with carpet. I want to mount a fire extinguisher on the wall but when I tried to drill a pilot hole the bit grabbed the carpet and started to unravel it. Anybody know how to do this w/o ruining the carpet?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Heat up a tool such as a screw driver tip until it is very hot and melt the carpeting in an area slightly larger than the hole to be drilled, and if possible open a hole in it.

It is kind of like melting the end of a nylon rope to keep it from fraying.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Heat up a tool such as a screw driver tip until it is very hot and melt the carpeting in an area slightly larger than the hole to be drilled, and if possible open a hole in it.

It is kind of like melting the end of a nylon rope to keep it from fraying.

If you have a carpet with real wool or similar materials that do not melt then you have to make a cut with an exacto knife or similar tool so the end strands do not catch on and wrap around the drill bit.

MangoMike
11-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Jon's got more helpful hints than Heloise.

http://www.secretarmies.com/images/day_flame.jpg
Would this be overkill?

MM

win42
11-02-2006, 08:42 AM
I would try a large center punch hit with a hammer. It should spread the carpet away enough to get the screw past it. Then when that doesn't work do what Jon says his way always works.

Jerry Winchester
11-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I actually used one of those el-cheapo soldering irons you get at Radio Shack and punched the holes in the carpet with it. If you clean it real good, you can even use it to solder again.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2006, 04:33 PM
That's an even better idea than heating up a screwdriver with a blow torch.

You really want to make sure the hole is open and away from the drill because once the drill bit hooks onto a stray strand of carpet it seems like it unwinds faster than Jerry can say Ohio State U.

dreadnought
11-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Lessee here, screwdrivers, soldering irons, blowtorches,
knives, center punches, hammers, monkees, pimps, and ... I get the picture. Thanks guys, a bunch of heads is better than my mine.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Dread,

I hope you are not going to follow any advice from this bunch of misfits. If you ever wanted proof of that you should have seen us in Santa Fe.

win42
11-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Hey John I resemble that remark !!
h

win42
11-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey jon I resemble that remark !