PDA

View Full Version : Entry Upgrade

LNDYCHT
12-20-2010, 09:19 PM
We recently completed a upgrade to the entry way of our old coach and thought I would share it with the group.

The previous owner('s) had taken good care of her with many upgrades. Flat screen TV's, in motion, surround sound, new carpets and upholstery. The worst part of the coach was the entry way. The rubber steps and drivers floor as well as the hardwood floor were in good condition but the carpet was showing its age. We were not happy with the transition of the entry way or the use of materials.

The choice of materials was Pietre Piasentina porcelain tile. The steps are flame finished to prevent slipping and we were fortunate to find bull nosed steps. The remainder of the tile is a honed finish to help keep it from being slippery as well. The worst part of the job was modifying the brake actuator to accommodate the thickness of the floor and tiling the face of the slide out foot rest and drawer. The project took about 40 hours to complete including machining spacers for the brake actuator.

We are quite happy with the results and feel it was a worthwhile investment.

HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE

Kenneth Brewer
12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Very very nice.

Darrell and Linda
12-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Great job! Lee, Clean look and lines.

In the spring, we are going to tile also. and install in-floor elec. heating. I removed the carpet this year and installed a laminate tile but is only temporary. The carpet was pain to keep clean on the stairs and drivers compartment, so we installed an laminate to get us by. A decision on type, color of tile is the hardest........ we still haven't agreed on anything yet. That's the real reason for the laminate installation.

Question: the transition from the thickness of the tile vs the rubber tread on bottom step........ how do you overcome this

Darrell

Pete
12-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Great job! well worth the 40 hours. It will last forever.

LNDYCHT
12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Great job! Lee, Clean look and lines.

Question: the transition from the thickness of the tile vs the rubber tread on bottom step........ how do you overcome this

Darrell

The tile thickness is 5/16 and the tread was around 3/16. I put very little adhesive on the bottom step, beveled the tile and put a slight wedge under the tread to angle it up to the tile.

Darrell and Linda
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
sneeky... that works eh!
Darrell

garyde
12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Looks very professional. Great Job!

Jon Wehrenberg
12-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Excellent appearance. Nicely done.

AmeriStar
12-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Very clean and nice. Especially like that you took the extra time and effort to reset your brake and throttle on the tile.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
A nice job to be proud of, Lee! Nothing like having a job turn out the way you want it to!

Wondering what treatment you gave the floor slide and were there any thickness/height issues to deal with?

JIM :)

phorner
12-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Wow! That looks great. Congratulations on a job you can be quite proud of....

LNDYCHT
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
A nice job to be proud of, Lee! Nothing like having a job turn out the way you want it to!

Wondering what treatment you gave the floor slide and were there any thickness/height issues to deal with?

JIM :)

Jim,

The floor slide was originally covered with hardwood, which I removed. I covered it temporarily with grey coin style rubber flooring. You are limited to what can be used due to thickness.
Eventually we will install "laminam" porcelain sheeting for the slide top, this material is only 3mm thick and will work perfectly. Unfortunately it only comes in boxes of three and the sheets are 1m x 3m. We are hoping to get a damaged sheet or to find someone who has ordered and does not require all the sheets.

http://www.laminam.it/inglese/index3.html#Scena_1

AprilWhine
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Beautiful job. I keep learning from the examples posted here.

LNDYCHT
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Very clean and nice. Especially like that you took the extra time and effort to reset your brake and throttle on the tile.

The throttle was easy. It is electrical and was plug and play. The brake actuator was more of a challenge. I had to fabricate spacers to compensate for the additional floor thickness as the actuator was to hard to recess into the floor from underneath. I could not imagine any other way of the job.