PDA

View Full Version : Replaceing house batteries

Tom Pinske
12-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I need to know the procedure for replaceing the house batteries. I have a 2002 Featherlite

AmeriStar
12-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Use the power disconnect to power off the coach. I like to use a sharpie marker and lable the connection clamps from left to right, i.e. 1-2-3-4, so you dont get the connection points confused.
We remove all of the batteries in the 1-2-3-4 order and clean the compartment with a brush and vacume. If you have any corrosion on the battery cradle use a good quality spray paint to seal the bare metal. Replace the batteries in reverse order from the removal, i.e. 16-15-14-13.
Just a note, the batter handles - rope straps - usually need to be in the fully retracted position to allow the battery to properly set in the cradle.

MangoMike
12-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Tom,

Welcome to POG. There will be additional helpful info coming your way about this process. My 2¢, mark everything extremely well and take a number of digital pixs before you start disconnecting. It's easy to mess up cable arrangements. Also disconnect the negative side first, there have been occassions when a wrench on the positive side has connected w/ a grounded part of the bus and the excitement begins. One guy I read about actually welded his wedding ring to a grounded section.

2. Buy your batteries from Trukman.

3. Take your hernia medicine.

MM

Jon Wehrenberg
12-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Tom,

Welcome to the asylum. It is great that you started posting by asking a question. It will show you that we always answer questions and on certain rare occasions we luck out and give a correct answer.

We all have to deal with batteries at some point. When we do have to change them out The two guys who answered ahead of me were absolutely correct. Take pains to label or number the terminals so you do not cross any wires or fail to install all of them. If you have a 12/24 volt system this is especially important.

When you change batteries this is a particularly good time to make sure that all connections are tight and free of corrosion. I am not talking only about the battery connections, but all cable connections, such as to the circuit breakers or disconnect switches and the ground connections. I recently had to chase an inverter problem that was the result of aged cable connections in the battery circuit.

What nobody has mentioned and is critical is that before you begin on the batteries make absolutely certain your inverters are shut off and power to them has been interrupted. They will be looking for battery voltage and if you remove battery voltage from them they could be damaged unless you first shut them down. On a Vantare I would remove the coach from shore or generator power also.

truk4u
12-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Tom,

Welcome aboard, you found the right place for Prevost owners and already getting good advise on your battery change. I sent you an e-mail regarding batteries.

Will Garner
12-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Tom,

In the labeling department, Radio Shack and home supply outfits (Lowe's, Home Depot) have white tie wraps with little square attachments. Those little squares are intended to be used to label connections. Go get a bag full and use a permanent black Sharpie marker to number the cable connections. Then take several digital photos that you can refer to for the correct order of re-installation. Take off all bling, that's watches, rings, body piercings, basically anything metal. You would be amazed just how fast DC voltage can get a metal hot. Build a little roll around so you have something to put the old batteries on and therefore don't have to bend over as far. Also helps wheel them out to a pick up truck for recycling at an auto parts store.

Oh yes, welcome aboard POG. I have to deal with my house batteries next season too.

garyde
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Tom. some members just have their wives do it.

rfoster
12-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I had her write the check too.

JIM KELLER
12-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Roger, You are the Man !

Jon Wehrenberg
12-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Will all you guys package that stuff you are spreading and send it to me? I will have the best garden and the biggest tomatoes.

BTW, I agree. Di not only buys the batteries and installs them. But why not? She bought me the bus.

You guys started it.

mikedee
12-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I built a ramp about 8' long to slide the batteries out of the bus. A couple 2 x 4's with a little silicone spray worked great, not to mention the strong 25 year old boyfriend of our daughter. When I got them all out I pushed the new one up the ramp and into position, attached the cables and sprayed with corrosion preventive. The batteries have been great for 4 years.