PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid replacement

Devin W
12-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm looking at replacing solenoids based on the issues I posted on last week as insurance. I've gone back through my troubleshooting and believe that's where the issues stem from as both spool valves (one of which I replaced) were fine and I confirmed their operation independently as well as the switches.

That being said, I have two questions:
1) When I'm using Catbase, they often use phrases such as "starting from SN M-907...". The question is where in my VIN do I confirm that I am before or after that series? For reference, my VIN is 2P9M33400R1001774.

2) I found the part in Catbase and it shows what appears to be 1 part number for the entire bank of 5 solenoids. Does that mean that the part number represents 1 of 5 and I need to order a total quantity of 5 or is the one part number for a bank of 5 complete (therefore only needing to order one)?

I'm hoping that it's the latter as it seems that the cost is about $325 ea.

MangoMike
12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Devin,

Just replaced one of the coils on my 1999 Chassis H3. $32. Don't know if it's the same part # as you need, mine was part # 641929. Just letting you know you don't have to spend $325.

I have found it easier to talk w/ one of the folks over at parts then to mess w/ the Catbase.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
12-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Ditto what Mike said.

The manifold is sold by Prevost as a complete unit to which you must attach all the air connections and electrical connections, and the individual valves themselves and coils are also available.

I found it easier to replace the valves and coils.

Don't assume your problems center around the solenoid valves. I can say with conviction that problems that make no sense on our suspension systems' can be attributed to coils and solenoid valves, but also the Norgren spool valves. As the valves age, and especially if there is or has been moisture in the system the air actuated plungers can "freeze" or only move part way. The result is a problem that sometimes defies logic. I change my valves out every 10 years regardless of condition. I just spent some hands on time analyzing a problem on a coach and one of the 5 port Norgrens operated in one direction, but not another. Problems can be isolated and corrected, but depending on the age of the valves sometimes it makes more sense to change them all because if one is acting up, the others are almost sure to be in equally bad condition.

truk4u
12-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Devin,

As Mango already posted, you can buy just the coil and valve, here's what they look like apart:

Devin W
12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys. That sounds even better. My system seemed to stop malfunctioning once I took the existing valves apart, cleaned, and reassembled them, but I really would like the peace of mind.

I'll give them a call as I can't seem to find a PN for the switch in the engine bay for the taillight converter and mine isn't functioning.

LNDYCHT
12-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Devin

A word of caution. These solenoids come in 12 and 24 volt. I believe that all units sold by Prevost are 24 volt. If your Liberty is like mine and has auto level system four of these are 12 volt and one will be 24 as the auto level runs on the house system. Prior to the purchase of my coach someone had replaced two of the 12 volt units with 24, rendering the manual and auto level inoperative.

These parts are available directly from Norgren. They were nice enough to ship me a set to South Padre Texas last winter. The Norgren part number should be on the unit. If you need the part number I will dig through my old invoices.

Devin W
12-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Lee,

Actually if the PN is on the unit, I can easily pull one to check it. That's a good note though as I would have made the improper assumption that they all shared the same voltage.

jack14r
12-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Back to your question about Vin number,counting back from the end of the vin the eighth letter or digit represents the year,the last four digits are the unit number.In your case the R is after the M therefore R 1774 was manufactured after M 907.I don't recall seeing the chart for each letter or number that designates the year in the vin on POG it was on P-stuff a while ago,maybe someone can post it.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Lee raises and excellent point. While our suspension systems appear the same, over the years Prevost has changed the logic of the system operation and converters have in some cases modified the systems as they felt necessary. Your Liberty may have four solenoid valves, or it may have five. I don't remember when that change was made. Liberty is likely to have modified the Prevost system and added two more Norgren 3 port valves in the steer compartment.

Your solenoid valves, other than the one used for the driving or road position may be 12 volt, but on Liberty coaches with 24 volt systems they all may be 24 volt. When in doubt, check with a voltmeter.

truk4u
12-18-2010, 10:20 PM
We had a good post going awhile back on the valves and here is the link:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?4625-Norgren-Valve-Steering-Bay&highlight=norgren

Devin W
12-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Jack - thanks. I have a page that decodes the VIN, but since I have several letters, I wasn't sure which the position in the VIN the PN referred to.

Jon - mine is the 5 bank manifold, but I'll be sure to confirm voltage

Tom - thanks, I missed that other thread and it has much of the information that I needed.