PDA

View Full Version : DDEC Reader

aggies09
12-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I would like to purchase a hand held DDEC reader to add to my bus tool collection and am unsure of what I am actually looking for. When I search on the internet I find listings for devices made by Pro-Link or Equus, but am unsure if what I am looking at will actually work on my coach. I know that a few of you carry this tool with you. Please advise on what I should actually be looking for.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Tony,

You can use anything that can read DDEC III, which I think your coach is. The readers I have seen and the one I have uses a software cartridge for the specific application including the engine, or transmission or ABS.

I just have the software for my engine and a separate cartridge for DDEC I.

They pop up on ebay from time to time and even if it does not have software for your engine, it can be purchased for about $250.

AmeriStar
12-12-2010, 06:20 PM
We have used the Nexiq Pro link scanners in or shop for a number of years. They have the best system support and reprutation for reliability of any we have used. There is laptop versions of the software available that have the DDEC and Allison diagnostics coupled together. These versions enable you to adjust the 'hard and soft' shift points of your transmission and top end speed for fine tuned performance.
Either way I would strongly recomend purchasing NEW. Used electronic items can be attractive for price, but may turn out to be worthless.
We have seen increases of >2 miles per gallon with a properly tuned drive train.

jimblu
12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I use VMSPC http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/6 It is an adapter that allows you to read many different engines on your laptop for one price ($395 retail). It can be left open while you drive showing a slick glass cockpit type of display on a laptop with most engine and transmission values. It should read most Detroit, Cummins and Cat engines and later transmissions. It will not allow you to reprogram.

AmeriStar
12-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Jimblu,

Does the silverleaf read injector timing and perform injector cutout test? If it does, it is a great price.

jack14r
12-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Silverleaf won't do that,it just displays many of the DDEC parameters and also does caculations.

aggies09
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to do some additional research with your recommendations and see what I come up with.............I like the idea of improving performance if possible.