PDA

View Full Version : Another kind of lift

gershwin
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Anyone know of a lift for a pair of scooters or small motorcycles that could be attached to the receiver and act as a lift negating the need of a trailer? This would be for an XLV. I'm thinking of something like I've seen for handicap mobile wheelchairs - I wonder if something like this exists for other toys if the weight isn't excessive.

Thank you,

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Gershwin, you have to be carefull with the weight on the back of a bus, like you would get with two motorcycles on a lift. You should be able to do a search on this forum for lifts to get more info than you care to read.

If you want to carry two small scooters, consider getting a 45' H Bus. They would be able to carry them in an empty bay ?

Gary S.

gershwin
12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
What about this concept on the back of an XL?

http://www.discountramps.com/tilting_motorcycle_rack.htm

http://www.discountramps.com/dirt-bike-hitch-carrier.htm

http://www.discountramps.com/rv-motorcycle-carrier.htm

Jon Wehrenberg
12-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Prevost has a 1000 pound tongue weight limit on their receivers based on the 1000 pounds being 8" from the receiver. I think I am correct on the 8" dimension, but that needs to be verified.

As long as the limits are met you will be OK. What happens in the real world however is the carrier CG is 24" out from the receiver (for example) to allow room for the handlebars, etc. and a 700 pound bike is carried. The limits are exceeded because of the leverage based in the distance from the receiver. The problem is the engine cradle to which the receiver hitch is attached is designed to carry the weight of the engine and transmission. It is probable a static load in excess of the limits is not going to create issues, but when the bus hits certain dips or expansion joints at highway speeds and it drops and then comes up quickly the stresses are considerable.

The excessive weight tends to show up as cracks in the rear cap running across the back and also at the rivet line up the sides and across the top. It is not just bike carriers that impose the loads, but heavy trailers with tongue weights in excess of the limits. The cracks are due to the flexing of the cradle imposing loads on the cap and its attach points.

charlesebrownjr
12-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I have a lift built buy Over Bilt Lifts Co. that uses 2 additional receivers for the hitch, so this may help with the load as Jon has stated. The 8" is correct. I have not used the lift, when I bought the bus the owner gave it to me. He use to carry a full dress Harley on it plus a Suburban toad. The company is still in business and has some neat products. (overbuiltlifts.com) 1-866-382-1369

Jon Wehrenberg
12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Charles, What exactly do you think those 2 additional receivers are attached to? If your answer is the engine cradle you would be correct.

Look carefully for cracks if it was used. There is a "belt" just above the coolant and oil tank doors going across the real. Look for cracks around that belt. Also look closely at the rivets up the sides and across the top.

I wouldn't worry about the Suburban because it likely had a regular tow bar so it wasn't imposing a load on the receiver except for pulling.

charlesebrownjr
12-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I will take a closer look to see if there is any evidence of over weight. Your right about the engine cradle, thought maybe the over built may have been installed differently. I have not seen any thing wrong along the molding above the two doors but will look very close soon. Thanks

Jon Wehrenberg
12-13-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm not going to mention names or describe the coaches, but I have seen several coaches that have had excessive tongue weight at one time. The cracks I mention are difficult to see, but they are there. Whether it results in permanent damage beyond the cracks I cannot answer, but obviously something has happened because coaches that have never had excessive tongue weight do not show any cracks.