PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for Race Across America

Ray Davis
12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
A request for help was put out on the West Point forums for assistance in the Race Across America.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org

Tom Lavallee is a 1989 WP graduate, and will be running in a solo bicycle race from San Diego CA to Annapolis MD to raise funds for "Children of Fallen Patriots".

This is a 3100 bicycle race that will be done in 10-12 days, and requires a crew of around 12-15 people to make it happen. As part of that crew an RV was needed. I volunteered, and just spoke to Tom a few minutes ago on the phone. During the conversation I mention POG, and that I *might* be able to get a few others who would like to assist with their buses.

I'm thinking that assist could potentially come in one of two ways. (1) participate the whole route for 3100 miles. Or (2) we might have several volunteers to handle various states along the route.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam2.php?N_webcat_id=7

The gist of what happens is that this rider rides nearly 24 hours a day. A vehicle (generally car or truck) follows nearby to prevent problems from motorists behind, and to provide food and emergency supplies as needed.

An RV proceeds ahead 50-100 mile increments, and is the base station for handling supplies, food, etc. The RV also takes different routes to stay on more major highways (that info might be in the route info above, I haven't had a chance to check it out). Normally groups of the crew would drive ahead to a motel, sleep a few hours, and swap out with another group when they arrive at the hotel area.

I'm hoping to tell them that we can provide enough RV's to cover the crews for sleeping and eating.

Anyway, this is in the infancy stages. Tom is hoping to raise $50,000 for the charity, and I'm betting it's going to happen.

If you would like to be part of this event, please email me direct (rdavis0521@me.com), and let's talk.

Oh, the race doesn't take place until June 15th of next year, so there is time, and the weather should be reasonable for a cross country run.

I hope that many of you will choose to become part of this team. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray Davis
12-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Wow, I'll admit to being really surprised. Not one person seems at all interested. Oh well, that's the way it goes ...

Will Garner
12-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Ray,

Sounds like a neat and unique event. I've visited the links and I can only find a schedule for the 2010 event. I believe that one has already finished. Carole and I will be doing the U. S. Men's Open again this year. It happens to be at Congressional Country Club, just west of DC. We will be staying at the Cherry Hill RV Park near College Park. US 50 is a direct connector from DC to Annapolis. The Open ends, hopefully on Father's Day which is 19th June 2011. I have to plan for a play off on Monday the 20th. If the last two legs of the event are immediately after that we could possibly provide some support. I expect to still be working with the DOT that month so I will need to be getting back as my leave time will be nearly exhausted by the Open.

Let me know as more details are known.

Hope all is well with you and Kathy. Oh, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

michaeldterry
12-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I would be open to trying to provide some support if the route came further soulth than what I see on the maps on their website. As it stands, with our other summer commitments to the Drum Corps International Summer Music Games tour with the Troopers from Casper,WY, I just don't see our participation as feasible. :(

Ray Davis
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Will and Michael, thanks for the response. I spent a bit of time over the weekend downloading and reading the rules of this race. As it turns out, help "along-the-way" is not allowed. All vehicles participating in the race have to be properly validated, which includes signage, a vehicle inspection, drivers license verification, insurance verification etc, etc. So, it seems my "great idea" really isn't a great idea.

I've been looking closely at the route, and I'll admit to being concerned, perhaps enough that I'm going to have to bow out. The route seems specifically to be as far away from freeways as possible, and going through much smaller roads. Certainly makes sense from a bicycling standpoint, but a real concern to me driving a 45 bus, in the dark, in completely unfamiliar areas.

I appreciate your responses. While I'm here, Merry Christmas to you all.

Ray

Coloradobus
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
This looks great. We will be unable to particpate. We will be out of the country 2/3's of next summer.