PDA

View Full Version : Prevost Service in San Antonio?

wayne
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Can anyone recommend someone In San Antonio to do Prevost work...air leaks etc?

Please PM me.

Thanks,

Jon Wehrenberg
12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Wayne,

One of the fastest ways to transfer wealth is to turn your coach over to someone and ask them to find the air leaks.

A lot of time consuming work can be eliminated if you are willing to help with the diagnosis. A lot of time can be saved if you are willing to do some of the work yourself.

When you define leaks you need to be specific. Not only for posting on the forum, but for purposes of explaining to a technician what is leaking, and if you have done some homework where he is to look. The leaks you are concerned about can be in the primary or secondary brake systems meaning your dash gauges go to zero in a short while. But the leaks can be in you auxiliary air system meaning your aux compressor is kicking on frequently or the system loses air pressure in a short period of time, or your suspension leaks and the bus drops or leans in a short period of time.

All three are air related, but all three are isolated from one another to an extent. Theoretically any one of the three can lose pressure and the remaining two can be totally unaffected. Asking someone to fix the leaks without being much more specific is going to result in someone spending hours and possibly days beneath the coach with a soapy water bottle while the leaks you need to have corrected are possibly upstairs in the driver's seat as an example. Each of the systems I described gets analyized in a different fashion and the person doing the detective work has to not only understand the Prevost, he must also have to understand conversions and the suspension system as it relates to both the Prevost and the converter's modifications.

If Hector is reading this I highly recommend you two communicate. I suggest Hector because he is from Texas so he has some knowledge of the service providers, but also because he is extremely knowledgible when it comes to the air systems and get you pointed in the right direction.

A 2001 coach in my opinion is right at the point where it can be addressed one leak at a time, or it can become a coach that just gets the likely problem areas renewed all at once to put the leaks behind you. My guess is you do not have a single leak but because of the age you have an accumulation of minor leaks from different sources that just need to be addressed. I think Hector can be a big help.

If you decide you do want to turn your coach over to someone to do the trouble shooting and repairs seriously consider some of our POG sponsors that may be near you. By choosing a shop that has broad knowledge of not only the chassis but the specific conversion they are going to be significantly more efficient at focusing on sources of leaks, particularly with their knowledge of the converter. A lot of our coaches have devices such as floor slides, pocket doors, bed lifts, dump valves, toilets, etc. that really require someone with specific training to access and check. The same technicians also have to possess knowledge of the chassis and that combination of expertise makes the time and cost to drive to a shop worthwhile.

Pick the wrong shop and I guarantee you will see a substantial invoice with less than satisfactory results. Over the years there have been a lot of posts about bad experiences from owners who relied on an inexperienced shop to find leaks. Leak detection is a bitch. Even when the general area or specific system is identified it may take multiple tools ranging from soap solution to stethoscopes to ultrasonic leak detectors.

I wouild rather eat bees than have to chase leaks.

chtree
12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Wayne,

One of the bus drivers in Nashville gave me the name of Alamo City Bus in San Antonio, he said they do good work and if you are broke down that they can send a repair truck. I don't know this for a fact, but some of the folks from Texas might have more insight on this shop.

Good luck,

Chris

Jon Wehrenberg
12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I usually strongly recommend seated bus companies as places to consider for service. However, keep in mind that when you bring a conversion that has a level low suspension and a house built into the bus that has multiple air operated devices you may end up paying a technician for on the job training. Those folks are good relative to the chassis, but our suspension and house systems are new to them.

GDeen
12-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Steve Bennett gave me this guys name a few months back. Terry Nabours. He bought Whitaker RV in New Branfels. I have talked with him, but not used him. Steve thinks highly of Terry (or used to) so you might try giving him a call.

Terry Nabours

Keith Whitaker RV Center
Texas Hill Country Coach & Conversion
6420 IH 35 South
New Braunfels, Texas 78132

www.texashillcountrycoachandconversion.com

(830) 627-3030

dreamchasers
12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Wayne,

Send me a private message with your telephone number and I will give you a call.

I can offer advise concerning the Prevost suspension system and the braking system. When I purchased my coach, it definitely had the "leans" and my brake air would leak down overnight. It was sad to see the coach leaning one way or another. Especially after after emptying my wallet to make the purchase. But determination, mixed with a few false starts, made the day. My brake system is now functioning properly and I never notice any leak, even after a few weeks.

"Rubber is the enemy" of these coaches. Prevost builds a very well built machine, but rubber components will wear and deteriorate over time. And pesky leaks and failures will occur, especially during cold weather.

Trying to guide a person to repair or find leaks using text messages is a challenge at best. Their are so many leak areas, with a few questions, we can determine where to start.

I have a multi media demonstration that I built that helps with understanding how these suspension systems work. They are very dynamic! I will look for the multimedia presentation and get it posted again. It helped me understand how it all works. I had to see the suspension system in action to understand it all.

At times the task of "tightening up" the Prevost suspension seems a challenge. But it is manageable.

Jon, Thanks for the comment of being knowledgeable about the Prevost suspension system. I learned it because I had to. I was unsuccessfully in getting leaks repaired by Prevost in Fort Worth(several attempts).

Again, send me a private message with your telephone number and I will give you a call.

Hector

Richard Barnes
12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Hector, if you have the multimedia presentation I too would like to see it. Thanks.

Richard Barnes

wayne
12-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Jon, as usual, your help and input are greatly appreciated.
Have contacted Hector and I'll let you know how that goes.
Stay away from those bees!

Gordon & Chris, thanks for the contact info.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Wayne,

You are in good hands now. We owe a lot to Hector for his simplification of how our suspension systems work.

Gary Carmichael
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
HECTOR I too would like to see that presentation, Gary and Thanks!