PDA

View Full Version : Muffin Tour

Jerry Winchester
12-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Two of the POG's go to guys, Loc "The Muffin Man" McNew and Gordon "Lawn Jockey" Deen are about to head out to California to deliver the Mel Torme Liberty to Steve B. Kudos to these guys for helping Jan and her family get the coach in position to be sold.

But the Muffin Tour starts early this morning with Loc and his trusty ward Conway boarding the N630SU "heavy" for the quick trip to Longview to pick up the bus.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ch5CDcwwvqk/TPsbadDx_kI/AAAAAAAABFg/Nc_uGJU71as/s1600/photo-768706.JPG

Jerry Winchester
12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
In the "no good deed goes unpunished" category, the Mel Torme bus had a substantial air leak, so the Stud Muffin brought it to the hanger for some quick mechanic work. Turns out one of the Norgren valves was the source of the air leak and after we found it and then cycled it a few times, the leak was more or less fixed.

So we should have some posts tomorrow from the Lawn Jockey as he rides shotgun on the round the clock run for the left coast.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ch5CDcwwvqk/TPscPjDLjjI/AAAAAAAABFo/MXrDmGkfoKw/s1600/photo-782010.JPG

MangoMike
12-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Reminiscent of the 2007 Taco Tour, does this mean that they'll be hitting every Bakery on the way to the West Coast?

truk4u
12-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Very nice of the Texas POG boys helping Ted's family, that's what this POG stuff is all about!

Thanks guy's, you make us proud to be members.

Jerry Winchester
12-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I spoke to the Muffin Twins early this morning and they were cruising thru Junction. Loc said Gordon had a camera and a computer, so I guess we should have sent them instructions on how to use them.

MangoMike
12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
JDUB, I think our average was every 38 minutes.

Jerry Winchester
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Mike,

Did I hear right the the Krakman and Nancy were going to join them?

Yep, if we didn't post every thirty minutes, someone called the police looking for us.

GDeen
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Loc Arrives in Austin at O'Dark Thirty.......When I handed the chick at Starbucks in Bee Cave TX Loc's 2 page custome Latte' order, she said we don't make many of those around here...

Before departure, ceremonial exchange of proper gift in Ted's honor.....

Jon Wehrenberg
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
By the time these two get that fine Liberty to the west coast they will both want to throw rocks at their coaches. Loc told me he was in awe of all that Liberty luxury.

Guys, you are doing a great thing.

GDeen
12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
"Please insert a token sir"

Not long before Loc tires and the pro takes over. Loc takes over camera and gets aritistic...

Loc gets bored.........

Tour guide points out Mountain Vistas of W. Tejas to Loc....

GDeen
12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Driver change Van Horn.

This is more like it.

Jerry Winchester
12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Gordon,

So Loc broke out his only Collie Humper shirt just to rub your nose in the dog crap? BTW, Loc said you guys were going to have to stop in Las Cruces to take on more water and dump the tank since you had flushed so many snack induced dueces in the first four hours.

Just say no if he asks for a Dutch rudder.

truk4u
12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Jdub,

I talked to the Muffinettes this evening, they were in NM and Ms Truk and I are still waiting to be picked up! I would expect to be left behind by Loc, but Gordo!!!

garyde
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM
All of you are simply awesome. What day will you arrive.

charlesebrownjr
12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I have asked Skiffer to delete the photo of the feet on the dash (with the shoes on no less) :mad::mad:and please photoshop out the bag of chips. The very idea of treating a liberty like this. Well, on second thought, maybe leaving the shoes on was a smart move.:)

rfoster
12-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I make a motion he is no longer "Loc Ness" but "Loc Star" and Gordon - well he is the Sunami Master. or is it Lawn Jockey Master?

You guys are great.

Eat more MUFFINS.

GDeen
12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Not going there......

GDeen
12-05-2010, 11:44 PM
You are right JDUB.....he is rubbin my nose in it. On the other hand, You can see what a chick magnet that shirt on the Loc Star is.

GDeen
12-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Truckman, I beg to differ. No sign of you and the finer half?

Loc Star gets artistic again.

GDeen
12-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Fueled in Eloy, now in Phoenix...

Jerry Winchester
12-06-2010, 12:14 AM
A couple of observations - 30 minutes at the Flying J and no one could figure out how to wash the bugs off the windshield?

Then Loc quizzes me on the flight about where to eat on the way looking for recommendations - Cracker Barrel wasn't on the list.......

GDeen
12-06-2010, 12:22 AM
FJ was after the photos big stick.

Loc said no red ass rocket chili for him so he reverted to the the family route. Something about porta potties and parades.

I am just along for the ride plus there are hot chicks at the Cracker Bbl.

GDeen
12-06-2010, 06:00 AM
California Coach Gate - 2:38 Pacific.

Pete
12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Nice job guys! Another great deed by POG members.

Now, have you given any thoughts as to how to get back home? If you are going to hitch hike, loose the aggie shirt!

Again, good job!

JIM KELLER
12-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Loc, How tall was that girl at the Cracker Barrel ?

Jerry Winchester
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Loc is always looking for folks under 4' so he can stand by them and feel tall. I personally like photos with Loc cuz it makes your head seem smaller.

GDeen
12-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Officially turning over the keys

One of Steve's guys already going to work

1.) For all you Liberty guys with your panties in a wad, don't sweat the shot with the shoes on the dash - demonstration purposes only - no marks on dash nor harm incurred.

2.) For the new owner - you will have a very nice coach. Excellent copy of one of the very last of the rivet coaches. Tried to buy it myself.

3.) For Loc Star - what can I say but the chick at Cracker Barrel does make you look good. I tried to find someone the whole trip to lever off for a glamour shot and she fit the bill.

Lots of folks pitched in on helping Jan with this deal. Jon W., JDUB, the Liberty guys, and many others - many thanks.

Jerry Winchester
12-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Spoke to the Muffin Twins just now and they are headed to the airport like rock stars. And I picked up several phone messages when I got back from lunch that looked like this -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ch5CDcwwvqk/TP1CFnxL0-I/AAAAAAAABGA/PbPi4uKMAGU/s1600/photo-742338.JPG

Reckon someone is a little touchy about this whole height challanged issue? I'm sure that chick was almost 3 1/3 feet tall.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
I was glad to help, what little it was.

Someone is going to get a superb coach and as Gordon said it represents one of the finest rivet coaches.

Gordon and Loc, you guys did a fine thing. It's nice to know you guys. You are what POG is all about. (Except for putting your feet on the dash.)

Jon Wehrenberg
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I do believe Jerry is right. I don't think that gal's height was as much as his waist measurment.

Loc, you owe me for that one.

Jerry Winchester
12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
I'll need to tell my assistant he isn't really "Lake McNew" if that's the correct translation for Loch. Sorry Muffin Man.

Loc
12-06-2010, 08:05 PM
A big thank you to everyone who helped with Ted's and Jan's bus. There are several people who deserve special recognition.

First, Jon Wehrenberg was a tremendous help with my Liberty schooling while Ted was in Houston for treatment and the bus needed to be checked to make sure everything was working properly so Jan and Courtenay (their oldest daughter who spells her name the same as my bride) had a comfortable/functional place to rest. While I still think Jon took special delight in running me from outside the bus to inside the bus and back more than several times, I could not have figured out everything without him.

Second, Dave Wishnoff at Liberty has been very helpful with providing information about Ted's bus and putting Jan's interest ahead of Liberty's.

Third to JDUB. JDUB, I can't say thanks enough for the nice ride to Longview on Saturday and the help with the bus when I got it back to Houston. You saved me at least five plus hours of driving and additional work on Saturday.

Fourth to Gordon Deen - the "Dean" of POG. Gordon made a really long trip a great adventure. It was like a college roadtrip without the alcohol. I learned some Deen-isms which I will selectively share with the POG members in the future. Gordon drove at least 700 miles (unfortunately he sometimes likes to multi-task which can make it a little interesting) and made some really great high test coffee yesterday morning around Quartzsite, AZ which kept us on course to make it to Bennettland in world-record bus time. CAVEAT: While we made it to California in record time, we actually did so in obeyance of the posted speed limit (we actually drove a couple of mph under the speed limit) and no animals were harmed in the making of this trip (except for the bird that tried to join us in the front seat somewhere in West Texas).

Fifth to Steve Bennett who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to make the process as easy as possible for Jan. I cannot say enough about Steve and his whole approach to a difficult situation.

Finally, I want to thank Ted Delorme for his friendship, spirit and legacy. Gordon and I spent a fair amount of time on the trip telling stories about Ted and figure that he was having a good time with us as we drove his bus across the country. I will miss you my friend...

For what it is worth. The nice young lady at the Cracker Barrel had to be at least 4 foot tall. It was the ears that made her look shorter. JDUB, I am glad you got the message and that Sharon did not try to sugar coat the meaning. Jon, Ditto on the message to JDUB. Keller, if you still have those pretty shoes from the POG rally, I wouldn't be talking smack.

garyde
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I happened to be in Irvine today and stopped by in the afternoon. sorry I missed you guys, everyone had already left for their respective flights . Steve's guy was hard at work cleaning the bays and sorting thru all the 'collegiate road Trip' remnants . The Liberty is a beauty and the new owners should be very pleased to know how much care POG members take in shepherding a members coach across the country.

aggies09
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Congrats guys! I am proud to know you and thank you for all that you did for Ted's family. I am extremely thankful to be associated with such a fine group of people. Especially one's that understand the correct attire to wear while driving across country.

Steve Bennett
12-07-2010, 09:56 AM
A big thank you to Loc & Gordon for safely delivering Ted & Jan's beautiful Liberty. Additional thanks to JDub, John W., and Dave W. at Liberty. What a great group of folks we have in the POG organization.

tdelorme
12-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Loc called Monday from the airport to say they were heading back and that the trip had been documented (and commented) on the POG forum. When I told him I didn't know how to get on the forum he sent me a link with instructions and the user ID/password that Jim set up. Thanks, Jim.
I laughed and cried as I followed Loc & Gordon across the country thru the thread. The pictures of the bus and the sunsets brought really sad but sweet memories. Wonderful trips we had over the years I will forever treasure. The sorrow of trips we had planned and will never make spur me to say, "Don't wait!".
Most of you know about Loc, Dean, and Jerry helping us get the bus to California which was an awesome gift in itself. But there is so much more to this POG Family. You guys are a very special group. Ted had more fun with you, real kid poking and playing fun than I had seen him have since we graduated (yes, we were together that long).
I told Jerry about having coffee in bed each morning with Ted on his laptop reading and responding to posts. He'd laugh out loud and say, "Listen to this..." and then he would write something and read me his post. So fun, such pleasure he had with you guys either online or at rallies. I am so grateful he had you guys to be friends with. And when the dark days came you didn't abandon him. Emails everyday from one or more of you encouraging him and razing him in equal measure like guys do. Gordon had the entire congregation of his church praying for Ted and we both felt those sustaining prayers. Ted never felt alone. Loc called Ted regularly and when in Houston he would rescue Ted and get him away for "guy time" (like the RV show in Houston). In those tough last days in the ICU Loc came walking in the room. Never was a more lovely sight than Ted's friend coming in the door. He listened to me and helped me sort out some tough issues with gentle patience.
There are so many other POG friends in distant areas that supported Ted through his illness, and the ones in our state really rallied around us. Funny thing, Ted knew you would. But as Loc said you were only doing what Ted would have if the situations were reversed.
Because I only left the ICU for 6-8 hrs a day to sleep during the last 3 weeks in Houston I don't know all the stories . But I get snatches and bits of them from our oldest son and daughter.
John W. has certainly paid his friendships dues...he coached our son on how to check up and start the bus to drive it to Houston (Ted was in the hospital). Then later 3 of the batteries exploded for some still unknown reason nearly scaring elder son to death and precipitating more "John calls". On the last trip when we flew Ted home from Houston that same son drove the bus home. He was stopped by the Highway Patrol (wasn't speeding) and when looking for the insurance card he inadvertently openned the automatic side auwning. Startled the patrolman and rattled son even more 'cause he didn't know how he did it. Didn't know how to close it. Loc, John W and the folks at Liberty in Florida all got calls that time. They also got "Help! How do you dump the sewer?" calls (and others of that nature) from our daughter Courtenay when her Daddy was finally too sick to help her when we were in Houston.
Jerry, Loc and Gordon came to Ted's memorial service. How precious is that? It was such a welcome surprise. What a wonderful group of true friends all of you are! To us you all stand tall among men. Our whole family thanks the POG family for all you have done for us. And I thank you for being great buddies to my guy, sharing your fun and playfulness with him and enjoying him. We live in the country in Northeast Texas 15 miles north of Longview. Mi casa, su casa. Stop by, plug in. You are welcome anytime. Jan
Email: jwdelorme@aol.com

GDeen
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Jan,

Thanks for the powerful note. Loc is a good man despite much of the evidence present on this board, and It was an honor to be a small part of helping him help you and Ted in your time of need....and we are still here, so just because the bus is gone doesn't mean any of us are going away. I will endeavor to post some more pics tonight of the trip.

Here is the text of a typical email from Ted. This before I stopped in for the night a year ago on a trip to Alabama....I was imploring Ted to be low key, and he was having fun while trying to do his husbandly duty and let you know if I was bringing my wife...

Gordon, we don't do much fancy. Think country people. You still haven't told me if Jennifer is going to be with you.

I need to let the caterer know so the name place markers can be engraved. Wait till you see the Prevost ice sculpture I'm having done.

Now tell me if Jennifer is coming before you get all tied up watching football.

In a message dated 9/20/2009 10:08:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time, gordondeen@fastmail.fm writes:
Ted,

Also, you guys please don't plan on doing anything special - I just look forward meeting you and Jan and visting. I certainly don't expect to be entertained, although I do want to see your new bus!

Real low key and casual is the operative word.

Thanks

Gordon

Ray Davis
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Darn, I haven't been on POG in about 5 days, and look what I missed!!! Jeesh! Congrats guys. If I'd known you were coming, I'd have setup a party here.

Loc
12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Ray,

We were afraid if we provided advanced notice of our trip the Governator would call out the National Guard and block our progress at the border. We almost ended up with a full body search courtesy of the Border Patrol in New Mexico. The Border Patrol asked where we were headed and we smartly said Utah. I would have offered to bring some of that World Famous JDUB Porta-Potty Parade Chili if I had known that you and Gary would have stopped by to see us.

GDeen
12-08-2010, 10:42 PM
As promised, more pics:

Loc Star Living Large

Contrails

More Artsy Stuff of Pro Driver

Pro Driver in Windshield

GDeen
12-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Secret Government Elevation Measurement Technique

Prevost' Would Never Act This Coarse in Public

Indio Lights

tdelorme
12-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Ted's bus sold!! A BIG thank you to Steve Bennett at California Coach. I never imagined Steve could find a buyer so quickly. It's a wonderful relief to know that Ted's bus was properly "perked up" and sent on it's way to new owners. Steve has been so supportive during this time. He arranged the paperwork with bankers, buyers, etc. and made the deal totally painless. Ted and I were a 2 bus family for a period of time before and I know how long the wait can be. Great job, Steve, and many thanks. Jan DeLorme

michaeldterry
12-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Congratulations, Jan! We are thrilled that the disposition of the bus was expedient and painless for you! Thank you to Steve Bennett and all the POG family members who had a hand in making this happen for Jan and the DeLorme family!

GDeen
08-15-2011, 11:43 AM
In the category of "its a small world," Saturday I was out running errands and ran by La Hacienda to check up on a couple of things for POG X. While driving through the park, I spotted a lone Prevost. Good looking Liberty. At first it didn't register, but upon further review, it had to be Ted and Jan's former coach.

I phoned Steve Bennett to ask about its disposition. He told me of the new owners, and in fact they had told him they were driving through Austin over the weekend. Armed with their names I stopped and rang the doorbell. As soon as I started to introduce myself, Kelly knew who I was. Steve had sent them pics from this very thread to keep them appraised of progress on bringing the bus to LA from East Texas last December.

Ken and Kelly are super folks who are really enjoying the bus life. They are currently on a road trip between a couple of their homes on either coast. The Liberty looks great and we had a nice visit about Ted, the bus, bus life, etc.

You never know who you will run into out there...this bus in particular has quite a POG related provenance. Shookie owned it for some time, Jennifer and I tried to buy it, Ted and Jan owned it, and a number of POG'rs helped Jan in her time of need to sell the bus. Now it is seeing extensive use and enjoyment by another nice couple.

merle&louise
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Gordon,

If you see Ken & Kelly ask them if they would be interested in joining POG!