PDA

View Full Version : Could have been a serious situation

Pete
12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
This past week, after replacing the two front air bags on the front of my coach, and while re-installing the wheels, I noticed some minor tread wear on the inside tread on both wheels. I decided to take it to an alignment shop to have it checked out.

Upon arrival at the alignment shop, I could NOT GET THE SEAT BELT TO RELEASE! I was parked on the side of the street at the shop and there was a fair amount of traffic, lots of trucks ect. After struggling with the belt for 5 or 6 minutes, I took my trusty pocket knife to the belt, so had no belt on the seat for about 75 miles back home.

Many thoughts ran through my mind on the trip home, and since, what if there had been an emergency?
A fire on board, an accident, ect.

On many occasions, I have been asked "Do you have a pocket knife with you?", and my response is, "If I have my pants on, I have my knife!". It really paid off this time, as I was by myself.

FYI, a new seat belt kit from Prevost is only $150.00. I have never had this situation happen in all my years of driving...maybe one that would not fasten, but never one that would not release.

So, I highly recommend that one has a way to cut a seat belt in case of an emergency, not just In the coach, but either on his person, or securely attached somewhere within reach of the drivers seat.

merle&louise
12-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Pete,

Did you have a chance to closely examine the seat belt latching mechanism? Or did you just toss it out?

I don't think that I have ever heard of a seat belt latch failing?

Pete
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
I am still trying to figure out what the problem is. I have it on my desk and still have not been able to get it to unlatch. I will keep at it until I know what happened.

Kenneth Brewer
12-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Check to see if a coin fell between tongue latch and buckle so that it cannot lift out of the way to release the latch.

JIM KELLER
12-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Pete, Post your address so all your POG buddies can send their knives to you for sharpening. I know mine wouldn't cut through a seat belt !

MangoMike
12-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I carry this guy with me for such emergencies.

Pete
12-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Jim, I would be happy to post my address to sharpen knives, just be warned, I KEEP THE NICE ONES! You need to know that keeping a dull knife in your pocket is about like having a gun with no bullets.

mike kerley
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
All of Jim's guns have bullets, so he could just shoot his way out. Jim, I suggest you NOT use the 50 caliber.

JIM KELLER
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Pete, I'm sending you a boxful.

Mike, I'll heed your advise. Thanks for letting me shoot your Walther the other day. It was the only gun I got close to the Bullseye with !