PDA

View Full Version : Airbag replacement - Advice Needed, Yelling Uncle

MangoMike
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I decided to change out the front airbags on the H3. I had changed out the ones on the '97 Liberty, but it didn't have the IFS front end, so a different animal. With the top A arm (I believe it's called that) in the way I'm not able to remove the bag. So I thought just remove the Arm and be done with it. I have remove all the bolts (see white arrows) but it's just not freeing. I tried jacking up the wheel with no luck. Is there a bolt I've missed or what is the trick in removing the Arm?

At this point I wish I had paid Trukman to make the switch.

Thanks, Mike

billbunch47
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Mike, My son in law who works for Cat and actually use to get his hands dirty said to pull a vacume on the bag and collaspe then just sliide it out. Hope that works also said to do the same with the new bag on install. Actually makes sence, he was sitting here and saw your picture, give it a try should be easier than pulling the A arms. Take care Bill

MangoMike
12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Bill, It maybe the trick I'm looking for. Thanks, Mike

truk4u
12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Mango,

I will probably take brute force to break the connections loose.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
If you look at the outer studs you will see they are pointed inward. As the "A" arm is pulled outward the distance between the studs decreases.

The picture doesn't seem to show the whole situation, but what it does show is the "A" arm has to have slotted holes in the end (doubtful) or there is another set of fasteners not visible to aid in removal.

Personally I don't think the engineers intended for "A" arm removal for air bag replacement. I think solely from looking at this picture that to remove the air bag the bag needs to be collapsed as Bill suggests, but also the front suspension also needs to be raised so the "A" arm goes up towards the top of the wheel well to provide more room for removal of the bag.

This post was made without any knowledge of the facts from someone who has never studied IFS.

lonesome george
12-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Mango, sent you a PM.

stevet903
12-02-2010, 01:45 PM
If you don't have something to pull a vacuum with, fashion some sort of a plug for the air bag fitting. Put a jack under the A-arm and raise the jack. This will compress the air bag. Plug the fitting, and release the jack. The bag will stay compressed, and you should be able to pull it out. Of course, the usual blocking warnings apply. You will need to compress the new bag as well to get it in. If you don't have a jack that will lift the A-arm, disconnect the sway bar link and you should be all set. Steve

MangoMike
12-05-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm happy to report that thanks to Good design by the engineers at Prevost it does make it barely possible to install an IFS air bag without having to remove an "A" arm.

With a timely PM from Freddy Krugar.

I was able to remove the old air bag without any problems whatsovever.

Jon,

Apparently someone at Prevo had picked up your and Fast Rogers idea about extending the nipple to make removing the airhose a lot easier. This was their solution. 27mm wrench and no problems.

FInally Bill Bunch I owe your son in law a dinner at Mango Mike's. A shop vac loosley fitted around the airport on the bag was enough to get it compressed and slid between the bottom plate and the A arm. You do have to manhandle the crap out of it, but it works.

Thanks for everyones input, especially Lonesome George who kept the helpful PM's coming my way.

MM

For some reason I can't delete the following pic of JDUB - see related thread about the Muffin Tour.