PDA

View Full Version : Average age of Prevost owners

BillhymerMD
11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Is there anyone else out there in their late 20s / early 30s who are POGers...my wife being in her late 20s and me in my early 30s have yet to come across anyone within a decade of us age wise who own and enjoy a Prevost. Not that we don't love the "older and wiser" majority, we simply wonder if anyone our age is as crazy as we are. Thanks. Mike

dmatz
11-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Wow I thought I was the young one at 47 my wife 40. Still have not many in their 50's. You are for sure the new generation. How do you all fit?

michaeldterry
11-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Is there anyone else out there in their late 20s / early 30s who are POGers...my wife being in her late 20s and me in my early 30s have yet to come across anyone within a decade of us age wise who own and enjoy a Prevost. Not that we don't love the "older and wiser" majority, we simply wonder if anyone our age is as crazy as we are. Thanks. Mike

Michael - I'm sure that there are many in your age group that are "as crazy as you are", but most don't have the means yet to "express" their craziness with the purchase of a Prevost! I became "bus crazy" while still in my late teens while practically living on entertainer coaches as a touring rock musician. However, it was many years later that I had accumulated the means to acquire my first bus - a 1981 Eagle 10 entertainer. It was only two years ago (at age 54) that I was able to upgrade to my current Prevost XLV! "The spirit was willing, the desire was strong, but the wallet was lacking"! :D I think it's wonderful that you can enjoy your "crazy" at such a tender age. Make the most of it and take advantage of the "older and wiser" crowd of POGgers to learn from their experience and maximize your enjoyment!

Jon Wehrenberg
11-28-2010, 05:28 PM
When we started out 20 years ago we were 47 and 48 respectively. At that time we were young with the average probably somewhere between 60 and dead.

Economics certainly has a role to play in the demographics, but until we bought our first we were working 12-13 hours a day seven days a week and never took time for ourselves. When we bought the first Prevost we had a major shift in our priorities and spent 13 to 16 weeks a year (spread out in one or two week blocks with an occasional 30 day span) in the bus. When we got in the bus we initially became disconnected from our business so our time in the bus was ours. That was intentional.

Today with computers and the internet I think a lot of owners can get into a bus much earlier because while they may still need to be involved with their businesses, they can be more connected than was possible 20 years ago.

BillhymerMD
11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Doug...we fit quiet well with the two couches and a couple of roll up mats. The kids love it and talk about the bus all the time when we're at home. They're all very young so its easy. I suppose as they get toward their teenage years we may need to add a few bunks or upgrade but that's years away.

dmatz
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Michael

We have 2 boys and have been RVing for 5 years. It is getting more difficult as the teen age years have hit, activities, friends, ect. We have gone to letting the boys pick the destination to keep them involved. Its going to be a couple of tough years trying to get it all to work out before they are off to college. I think its great you our out with the family. Great memories.

BillhymerMD
11-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Doug...Shelter Island must really be beautiful. I trained for 5 years in both North Jersey and at Beth Israel in Manhattan and we made it a little ways out on Long Island but never as far as Shelter Island. I do miss the area but can't complain too much with 80 degree weather in November. Take care, Mike

garyde
11-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Many RV's over the years starting with a VW van at 17. Over the years I have had Type A, B and C's. I got the Prevost bug about 10 years ago and purchased my Liberty in 2006 at the young age of 55. My wife and I have loads of memories traveling with the kids over the years. My youngest son,Conner, 13, is the only one left at home of the four kids. He still enjoys the trips.

Gary Carmichael
11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Mike, I guess Megan and I are probably among the oldest in the group, I better rephrase that, I am among the oldest. I am 68 Megan 55, I just bought my first Prevost this year. we have had 2 CC's and 1 Essex. Looking back I would have bought the bus years earlier, my brain was in the business mode and would not take time to travel much, so worked most of the time in various busineses, down to one now, and open road, watch out here we come!

Kevin Erion
11-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Mike, We got our first Prevost a little over 5 years ago, the 3 girls where 5, 6 & 7. We have had 6 summers of great times and many memories! We are looking to go to NY the summer of 2012, God willing and the economy picking back up! The girls talk about our trips all the time, one of the best and most talked about was a visit to our dear leader Mr. Skiff. Whale watching and the trip out to the island was priceless, and on and on. I am feeling old but the girls are keeping me young, and Amy is 41 so I need to stay on my game to keep up with her!

Devin W
11-29-2010, 11:37 AM
We bought our Prevost bus just a little over 1 year ago. I'm 42 and my wife just turned 39. We both work from home, and as Jon mentioned, the ease of staying connected led to our decision to trying the motorhome thing. I grew up in a family that had some sort of RV or another and we bought our first one in February of 2009. I won't bore you will of the details that led to the specific purchase but we ended up with a 1989 40' Monaco Crown Royale. The main factor was that the value was hard to beat and we like that it didn't have to be constantly re-configured the way smaller RV's do for every activity. We used that once or twice a month and realized 1) that we really enjoyed the trips and flexibility of being able to work out of it just like home, 2) it was starting to require some significant financial investment and 3) we would never have been able to make the Monaco what we ultimately wanted regardless of how much money we put into it so we started looking into a chassis that we could have indefinitely while keeping up on maintenance. The value was easy for the vintage we bought because it was far cheaper than buying a cabin (something we considered) -- and although it won't appreciate like a cabin we now have a mountain cabin, or beach house, or theme park condo, or ski chalet, or desert oasis, etc.

In any case, maybe because I appear younger than my age I often field questions that i would imagine more distinguished looking owners probably don't get, like:

"What exactly do you do that you can afford to drive something like that?" - recently asked that by a toll booth attendant in Florida while we were scrounging for change to pay a $10 toll

"Who are you driving for?" -- got this question a few times during fuel stops

"Do you do bachelor parties?" :rolleyes:

It's all good, though. We sure enjoy our trips and although my wife's two teens have yet to go on one with us yet (hopefully that will change next month), my 10 year old can't stand to be left out. Of course, the dogs love it 'cuz they don't have to be kenneled when we drive to our destinations. The one thing that we've found that seems to be consistent (regardless of RV make) is that the people we meet in campgrounds and on the road all seem to be pretty friendly and share a sense of adventure that tends to equalize age.

BillhymerMD
11-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Devin we have had similiar experiences with our coach. If anything, we try not to disclose that we own a bus to our friends and work colleagues. Those that have come to know that we own one firstly nearly faint when they see it and then almost without doubt are quite put off. I think that they feel it is rediculous for someone to buy one of these for personal use. We bought ours becuase, with 5 kids and limited vacation time each year, we wanted to truly maximize the quality of our vacations. In my mind that is not found standing in lines at airports or sitting on the beach at a time share in Europe. Instead, spending time together in a Prevost and seeing all the many sites to see in North America is true quality vacation time. In researching which RV to purchase, we quickly dismissed the plastic RVs simply because, like you, we couldn't see that as a long term investment whereas the Prevost certainly would be a good long term investment with proper maintenance. I too did get asked at a New Jersey toll booth if I was the driver for a country singer...?

Devin W
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Michael, it's funny that you should say that because I just put up an album of the bus on facebook over Thanksgiving. My wife and I were very cautious about disclosing it to friends and work associates initially as their impression was one of over the top opulence and/or an inaccurate estimate of the cost. After a year of gradually sharing we finally felt comfortable being more "public" about having it. I've explained that the luxurious features are secondary to the fact that they are built to last and be driven. But we've worked hard for it and work hard at keeping it up so I think it's OK to be a little bit proud of it.

jack14r
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I just heard of a couple in their 30's that bought a Millennium,an influx of younger clients could really help the converters.

dmatz
11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Living on Shelter Island is great a very small town in the middle of the hamptons. That being said getting the bus on and off the ferry, and timing it with the tides complicates it some. Getting off long island to go anywhere is steal pain.

If you plan on camping on long island we go to montauk hither hills state park right on the ocean. Need to make reservation long time ahead on reserve america.

Its great to hear from the younger group. Is everyone a FMCA member? We do a lot with the north east chapters.

garyde
11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Mike, We got our first Prevost a little over 5 years ago, the 3 girls where 5, 6 & 7. We have had 6 summers of great times and many memories! We are looking to go to NY the summer of 2012, God willing and the economy picking back up! The girls talk about our trips all the time, one of the best and most talked about was a visit to our dear leader Mr. Skiff. Whale watching and the trip out to the island was priceless, and on and on. I am feeling old but the girls are keeping me young, and Amy is 41 so I need to stay on my game to keep up with her!

Kevin, that's pretty sly. Everyone's age but yours. I hope Amy's OK with it.

Loc
11-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Michael,

I started RVing at the age of 36 (my bride is much younger). Our first son was 1 1/2 and our second was yet to be born when we started. The second son came home from the hospital in the RV and went camping the first two weekends of his life. Bought our first Prevost at 38. The boys are now almost 9 and 12. I think the trend is catching on with the younger crowd. We went to a bunk coach so that the boys can bring a friend along if they want. We also let them pick destinations which means we have spent way to much time with Mickey. Prevosts are a bad investment from a financial perspective (as are most depreciating assets), but to steal from the Visa commercials - Spending time with the family - Priceless! We have taken the boys to 48 states, Canada several times and more than 40 National Parks, Monuments, etc.

Loc

merle&louise
11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
I was watching CNBC this morning and there was a report on the RV industry. The reporter doing the story was at an RV dealer show. They said that the demographics are changing in the RV business. It is not just baby boomers anymore but rather much younger couples who are buying RVs. 29-35 years old are making up a larger portion of sales.

They also said that RV sales overall are on the increase and that the amount of space leased at the show by vendors has increased from last year.

Looks like Michael will have some younger POGGERS to rally with - hope so! We need some new younger blood in the group! Maybe some of the older guys should start dyeing their hair !!!

Jon Wehrenberg
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
What hair??????

Richard Barnes
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I dyed both of mine this morning - didn't like it so I'm adopting the Ray Davis/Kevin Erion style - buzz cut. If I don't like that then a slick shave will be next.

CCMH
11-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Christine just had her 50th, me a strapping young studdly 51.

Have been RV'er for the last 15 years, and driven every road accros the U.S., and seen more of this country than most everyone I know as I too was touring musician for over 30 years. Spent WAYYYY too much time in eagles and entertainers, but couldnt quite get the road out of my system. I suppose that the road is like heroin for some of us. My guilty pleasures are Pilot's, Petro's, Flying J's, Walmarts, Boston (the band), Bruce Cockburn, grilled cheese, Burningman and Phish. I still have hair (that changes daily....will keep you posted), no guns, my dog Augie, and a hungry thirst for anything adventurous. Have been dirt poor, and incredibly wealthy, and havent felt the difference between the two of them, especially when I am really paying attention.

Christine and I drove home our first Prevost in August, a '97 Vantare Featherlite XL45, and I am REEEEEEEEELY excited about every aspect of it. Most of all, the plans we have to be full timers starting in February 2011. We will be making our way to Florida, then who knows...???

WOOT!

michaeldterry
11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Christine just had her 50th, me a strapping young studdly 51.

Have been RV'er for the last 15 years, and driven every road accros the U.S., and seen more of this country than most everyone I know as I too was touring musician for over 30 years. Spent WAYYYY too much time in eagles and entertainers, but couldnt quite get the road out of my system. I suppose that the road is like heroin for some of us. My guilty pleasures are Pilot's, Petro's, Flying J's, Walmarts, Boston (the band), Bruce Cockburn, grilled cheese, Burningman and Phish. I still have hair (that changes daily....will keep you posted), no guns, my dog Augie, and a hungry thirst for anything adventurous. Have been dirt poor, and incredibly wealthy, and havent felt the difference between the two of them, especially when I am really paying attention.

Christine and I drove home our first Prevost in August, a '97 Vantare Featherlite XL45, and I am REEEEEEEEELY excited about every aspect of it. Most of all, the plans we have to be full timers starting in February 2011. We will be making our way to Florida, then who knows...???

WOOT!

Curtis - I'm very jealous that you're getting to go full time in February! Seems we share a lot of similar history, except I've never experienced the incredibly wealthy end of the spectrum! :rolleyes: We figure that Vita's got about 8-10 years more of doing the career thang before we can try fulltiming. Like Christine, Vita just turned 50 in September and I gotta tell you, if that's what 50 looks like, then the younger girls should look forward to it! Vita is ROCKING 50! :cool:

travelite
11-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I bought my BlueBird Wanderlodge six years ago when I was 44. My wife and I have since enjoyed many miles of bussing as a couple. We now have two kids and one on the way! We need a bus with bunks and we're keeping a watchful eye on the market, looking for the perfect Prevost for us. My kids love the bus! Our finest family quality time is in the bus.

BillhymerMD
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Loc, if our family can put half as many miles and visit just half as many places as you have I'll consider it a success. What an amazing education you've provided to your kids about their country. Mike

Michael,

I started RVing at the age of 36 (my bride is much younger). Our first son was 1 1/2 and our second was yet to be born when we started. The second son came home from the hospital in the RV and went camping the first two weekends of his life. Bought our first Prevost at 38. The boys are now almost 9 and 12. I think the trend is catching on with the younger crowd. We went to a bunk coach so that the boys can bring a friend along if they want. We also let them pick destinations which means we have spent way to much time with Mickey. Prevosts are a bad investment from a financial perspective (as are most depreciating assets), but to steal from the Visa commercials - Spending time with the family - Priceless! We have taken the boys to 48 states, Canada several times and more than 40 National Parks, Monuments, etc.

Loc

edsaylor
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I was 34 when we got our first motorhome. I have had just about every brand and size motorhome over the years, including several most people today have never heard of. Our kids have told me that some of their best memories from when they were young was traveling in our motorhome. It was 1995 when we finally moved up to Bluebird and 2001 when we got our first Liberty. I wish I had moved up to to Liberty and Prevost much sooner than I did. After motorhoming for 38 years, I still love it---even more in a Liberty than anything else I have ever owned.

BillhymerMD
11-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I was 34 when we got our first motorhome. I have had just about every brand and size motorhome over the years, including several most people today have never heard of. Our kids have told me that some of their best memories from when they were young was traveling in our motorhome. It was 1995 when we finally moved up to Bluebird and 2001 when we got our first Liberty. I wish I had moved up to to Liberty and Prevost much sooner than I did. After motorhoming for 38 years, I still love it---even more in a Liberty than anything else I have ever owned.

The Elegant Ladies are truly something special...I am sure that's what we will retire into.

GDeen
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
My average age just passed 25 last month and we have had our first and only motorhome for almost 1.5 years now.

Loc
12-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Gordon,

How do you calculate your average age?

Glad to see you are so young. That will make you the primary driver for the trip to LA on Sunday. I will enjoy one of those nice Liberty couches.

Loc

GDeen
12-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Gordon,

How do you calculate your average age?

Glad to see you are so young. That will make you the primary driver for the trip to LA on Sunday. I will enjoy one of those nice Liberty couches.

Loc

You know Loc, the Aggie way.....
..I can't wait - wanted to feel what it is like to work for a rock star my whole life, and my chance finally is upon me.

GDeen
12-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Loc Star,

I am happy drive you across the country. Please refrain from the practices of W. Nelson and what he did to his driver. I don't want to end up in front of the Hudspeth Co. Sheriff's camera, as they don't take very glamorous pictures.....

parksincpp
12-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm claiming 39 forever, Scott says he's under 50 and everyone should own a Prevost. (And frequent the Mira Loma service center) Looking foward to meeting you in person, playing with the kids and goofing off togeather, dirt biking, wheelin, wake boarding, boating etc, we try to do it all and welcome anyone who wants to play with us.

Sawbonz
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Reviving yet another old thread!

We are 40 and 41. Just now looking for a Prevost, but our Monaco has usually been the nicest anywhere we go, and we are usually far and away the youngest not in a popup or C. I always wondered too who else out there was young.

Prevost1111
01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
age is just a state of mind, i know some pogers that are not only crazy but can party most people under the table not matter the age, by the way i am going on 25