PDA

View Full Version : We're hanging up the air bags.....

merle&louise
11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Karen and I have talked it over, and we have decided to retire from RVing. Our new bus will be a Honda Pilot! No leans to worry about. No expensive tires and batteries to replace. When we travel we plan to stay at the Ritz Carlton and dine at Chez Louie. We'll probably have money left over to buy a Rolls or a Bentley! Just kidding!

I have listed my Newell for sale with Ken Robertson's Luxury Coach Brokers in Tampa, FL. It was not easy to make this decision, but we just feel that it is getting too expensive for us to continue owning our coach.

We will continue our membership in POG and plan to attend rallies and mini rallies because we want to continue the good friendships that have evolved over the years.

So we look forward to seeing and hearing from all of our POG buddies. And as Bob Hope would say, thanks for the memories!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
11-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Tuga and Karen, Peg and I hope your sale goes quickly and without a hitch, but are very sad to hear you will not be camping any longer.

We all understand and wish you both every happiness.

Happy Holidays.

Gary S.

Danss
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Say it ain't so! But, best of luck on your new path!

JIM KELLER
11-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Like Dan said, " Say it isn't so ! "

rfoster
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Tuga & Karen:

Like Dan and Jim K. say it ain't so. Ya' know I have been hearing about the hotels infested with bedbugs. I think you should stick with the Newell.

truk4u
11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Tuga,

Nancy and I sure support your decision to hang up your air bags, but at the same time, hope it takes a long time to sell the Newell so we're able to continue seeing you guys.

Pete
11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm wondering if Tuga & Karen are using the sale of their Newell as a smoke screen to trade for the 4 slide Newell that Ken has listed on his web site? Watch out Ken!
We will miss traveling with Tuga & Karen. They are great friends, but they say they still plan on going to POG functions, so let's hold them to it.

MangoMike
12-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Tuga,

You can sleep on my couch anytime.

mm

merle&louise
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
MM,
Thanks for the kind offer, but we are planning to attend the POG rallies and just stay in the cabins or bungalows. It is going to take some adjusting, but we will adapt.

Pete,
I can only wish! That 09 Newell is a beauty, but @ $900K it is a little too expensive.

Roger, Truk, Jim, Dans, & Gary thanks for the comments. This is something that we have been debating for a while but just couldn't bring ourselves to do. Then, all of a sudden I said you know what - I've got enough. I'm tired paying the bills in the thousands of dollars to have the coach repaired. Tires, batteries, Aqua Hot tank replacement, alternator, satellite dish, tire monitor system, spare parts - it all adds up! And these items are nothing when you compare them to the depreciation!

We love RVing, but it is just too expensive for us now. We still want to be involved in rallies and look forward to seeing all of our POG friends. I am not saying that we will NEVER return to RVing but for now we will take a little hiatus.

aggies09
12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I am saddened at the thought of Merle and Louise without a coach. I understand the decision and PLEASE stay involved. Jenny and I count you two as true friends that we have met through this organization. Better call and book one of the casitas at Buckhorn for Labor Day weekend. Pull the Pilot into Abilene if you get west on I-20.

I am betting that after a couple of encounters with TSA's finest that the premium paid for coach ownership may begin to look like a bargain at twice the price....................................That's how I, um, we, got into the bus biz.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Tuga,

As a plane owner who has made the same hard decision I know of one solution. You are looking at the coach as an expense that is disproportionate to the enjoyment.

You can actually calculate a cost per day based on what it takes to own and maintain the coach. If you spend $10,000 per year (a number used solely as an example) and use the coach 50 days per year for the same $200 per day you can spend your nights at the Ritz. But if parting with what has become a lifestyle is painful the simple answer is to double or triple the days you spend enjoying the coach and it brings your cost per day down to Motel 6 levels. Then you can justify keeping it.

We hate to see you go.

Pete
12-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Jon, did you sell your plane? Or did I read your post wrong. I gave mine up years ago, a hard decision to make.

Loc
12-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Merle and Louise,

Sorry to read the news. You guys can use my shower anytime.

Loc

Jon Wehrenberg
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Pete, The plane remains for sale. Selling a plane today is like trying to sell real estate or boats or coaches.

Since I am not forced to sell I have priced it fairly ($5000 less than the book says it is worth), but I am not giving it away. Any Prevost owners want a very capable P210?

Pete
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Jon, If I were much younger (like 30 years), and had plenty of money (like Loc), I would be in the market. I'm sure it has been well taken care of.

bonhall41
12-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Tuga and Karen,
We'll miss you in the campground but glad you'll still be attending POG rallies. Skiff would have to give up his charity auction without you. RV ownership is a big drain on the bank account, for sure, but it's still my favorite way to travel. Hope to see you soon.
Bonnie

merle&louise
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Tony,
Count on us being at the Labor Day rally and staying in one of Buckhorn's casitas. Thanks for the kind words we feel the same about you guys.

Jon,
That is an interesting approach (using it more) but both the dollars spent and PITA bringing it in for repairs is what I am trying to avoid. I know that we are going to miss RVing, but at this point I think that it is a smart move to sell. Like you, our coach is not financed so we are not under any pressure to sell, it just seems like the smart move for us at this time. Who knows what the future will bring?

Cost of ownership has been discussed on this forum many times. I have kept a spreadsheet on every repair done on my coach & every improvement (Smart tire system, new TracStar antenna, Aqua Hot tank replacement, etc.) since I purchased it. So I had a running total of how much I have spent - it has averaged $2.30 per mile! That is maintenance plus depreciation plus improvements - it is a staggering amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the ride over the past 19 years but it is just doesn't make sense anymore.

Thanks for the kind words; you & Di have been great friends. We still plan on attending all of the POG rallies and look forward to learning more about coaches and their systems.

Loc,
Between MM's couch to sleep on and your shower Louise and I are set! Thanks! You don't have a camera in that shower do you?

Bonnie,
Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to helping out with auction next year at POG 10.

Alan__
12-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Like others, we hate to see you making a life style change which will happen to all of us eventually for various reasons. Your action brings up the reality of the golden years. Karen is welcome to cook in our kitchen and continue giving dance lessons.