PDA

View Full Version : Rental

Don
11-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Are there any rental companies that will rent motorhomes weighing over 26001 pounds?

I would like to rent one to take the driving test, to upgrade my class C license to a class B license, before I buy A prevost

The main reason I want to get the license prier to the Bus, I would like to title the Bus in Montana. From my understanding a Montana LLC puts you in the Commercial class and I only want a class B non commercial license My MVA will not let me take the test in a commercial vehicle

Any thought’s on this

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Rent a truck. Good luck with that Montanna thing.

Mark3101
11-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Rent a truck. Good luck with that Montanna thing.

I agree with Jon...rent a truck. Less expensive and after you get your permit and then take the test and you should be able to use any vehicle in the class you are trying to get. The Montana thing is good if you can get it to work, but be aware that many states are looking for additional revenue and may come after you for taxes etc. if you have no legitimate reason to title in MT.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Don,

My reason for the suggestion to rent a truck is not only because they are cheap, but because they are available anywhere. Penske, Ryder, and others all rent Class 8 trucks and it makes your life and that of the examiner easy if they can see you do a proper pre-trip inspection according to the manual. There is no way to do a visual inspection on a bus without getting it over a pit. A Class B is a a Class B and getting it in a truck still meets the requirements for the bus. You may have to get a DOT physical, and if you do, just get the Commercial Class B. I think most insurance companies give discounts for CDLs.

As to Montana............think that one through before you commit to doing it. You will save sales tax (that evasion in the eyes of some states) and you may save enough money to justify the risk. 10 years ago a Montana registration was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but more frequently we are hearing and reading of states that are going after owners who have chosen that option and the results have been ugly.

If you go the Montana route at the least make sure the toad has Montana plates and that when not in use the coach is hidden from jealous neighbors and eager tax collectors. A toad with plates from the home state and a Montana plate on the bus is a huge red flag, as is a coach that is housed in a state other than Montana, visible to all.

Don
11-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yes I am going to bite the bullet now and that will certainly avoid me biting a bigger one later.
I have my learners and am on my way to contentment.

Jon
I find your information very helpful in many ways; your answers/comments on POG along with several others have helped me in the decision to purchase of my 1st Prevost before Christmas 2010.

I will keep you informed on how things work out.

Again Thanks Jon and All of you. Don

Gary Carmichael
11-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Don, you must have been a good boy for santa to bring you a Prevost! Forget the cookies and milk! Just good brandy and cigars, and oh yea a little something for the wife!

dmatz
11-27-2010, 05:16 PM
http://gossrv.com/

This is a place that rents Prevost coaches. I ran into a couple from England this summer that rented one for a couple of weeks for a family vacation. A bit pricy for driving lessons however

Ray Davis
11-30-2010, 07:56 PM
It may be different in CA, but here a Class B only gives the ability to drive a motorhome in excess of 40 feet (to max of 45 feet). I would highly doubt if I showed up in a truck that this would qualify for a drivers test? I may be wrong, but ... seems strange to me.

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
A class B as I understand it is a straight vehicle in excess of 26,000 pounds. It should make no difference whether it is a 45 foot bus or a 20 yard dump truck of 28 feet long.

The only differentiation between a class B for a bus and a truck is a "P" endorsement is required to carry passengers, with seating of 15 or more. Since a motorhome is not viewed as a bus a class B works. If pulling a trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds some states will require a class A.