PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad and the Webasto

Lee Bornstein
10-30-2006, 02:49 AM
Mike:

Enjoyed the Webasto Semianr at POG II - Thanks a bunch!

Finally got around to taking apart the Webasto Burner on my 97 Liberty 40'.

Followed your detailed instructions from POG II. Didn't have to remove hydraulic hose or Bus Air AC line - Just removed Cotter pin and 2 bolts and it lifted up and out OK. Got a skinned nuckle cuz no room to move around in the Liberty 40 engine compartment but I did "Git er done".

Removed burner nozzle and notoced that it's a 0.65 gph 80 Degree H nozzle rather than the 0.35 gph 60 degree nozzle you reference in your docs. :confused: Looked at Webasto web site and they specify for model 2010 (45,000 Btu) the 5088641-A part number. For DBW-2020 (80,000 Btu as in my coach) part number 470716.

Pictures in your handout refer to DBW-2020. Could it be that you've put the 45,000 btu nozzles in your 80,000 btu burner? Or, do you have a DBW-2010?

Lee
1997 Liberty Classic 40'

MangoMike
10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Lee,

You're a better man than me. I would've never thought you could get that head out with all those hoses. If you send me pix of your webasto (mike@mangomikes.com) I'll add it to my dog and pony show so that others in the same position will know that it can be done.

I called Webasto this morning and you're absolutely right. The .035 nozzle, which I've been running since day one, will work, but it runs lean and that's not necessarily good for the unit. That's the nozzle for the 2010 (I have the 2020). The right nozzle is .6 gph part # 341304.

I'll be updating the website and my hand out materials. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Mike

kmuller
10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Guys - after you have totally lost it wrestling with the Webasto, check out the ITR Hurricane, www.itrheat.com.

win42
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Mango: Ditto the thanks for the seminar on Webasto, a very good job. I have yet to tackle mine, but it's getting near the top of the list and eventially will have to be done. Keep up the good work on the subject. Your efforts toward making POG a very viable organization is greatly appreciated by us all.
H

Lee Bornstein
10-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Mike:

Reference source is http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_main/5000954A.pdf

They had two different combustion chambers - one with 80mm exhaust port and one with 70mm Exhaust port.

The newer unit DBW2020 Version 33 and newer (since 1990) has 70mm diameter exhaust port and uses 0.65 GPH 80H Nozzle as per Webasto Tech Support this morning.
My 97 coach uses DBW2020 Version 63

Lee

bluevost
10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi POGers,

Talking about Webasto. I rec'd my control box last Tuesday from MCI, put it in on Thursday. We were in San Diego with the Simmons' for a wedding this weekend, and fired the furnace up Sat AM. Works great!! Thanks again Mango and JDUB for the troubleshooting help.

Jerry Winchester
10-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Karl,

Looks exactly like an AquaHot. What's the difference?

kmuller
11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Jerry - In our marine experience, the differences are reliability, self diagnostics, robustness and service support. The Webasto is an antiquated design, it has no self diagnostics, it’s delicate, it becomes easily fouled if it attempts to start but fails more than a few times (the Hurricane is guaranteed to never do this) and the support from the distributor in the US is pretty poor.

Karl

kmuller
11-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Navigator....I tried to respond to your email, but evidently the address in your profile isn't working or some other tech glitch. Email me again and I will try to respond.

Lee Bornstein
11-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Webasto still not fixed.

Someone at UPS evidently doesn't know difference between Las Vegas, Nevada and Las Vegas, New Mexico. New nozzles went to New Mexico then to Louisville, KY then to Las Vegas, Nevada then got lost again.

Maybee tomorrow??

Lee Bornstein
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, got the new nozzle finally. Installed it, fired up unit and now have lots of White Smoke continuously. Burner sounds like it's "surging" whatever that means.

Where do I go from here?

Rather than communicate by Email, I can now send messages by Smoke Signal!.

Lee

MangoMike
11-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Lee,

According to Webasto it's 3 possible things. 1) Fuel Supply, 2) Fuel Pump or 3) Nozzle. It also seems that a tech once told me it could be the air/fuel mixture.

Did you swap out the fuel filter?

The fuel pump is part of the fan motor assembly, are you popping any breakers?

Is the new nozzle the correct one?

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with additional suggestions.

Let us know.

Mike

merle&louise
11-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Lee:

I'm no MM or Jon but: I had white smoke in SF when my batteries were low. After the generator charged up the batteries the smoke dissipated. Low voltage may prevent the fuel from burning completely (although I don't understand how?). When I discussed my Aqua Hot smoking problem with Newell service: first question was about low voltage. Maybe it just needs to run for a while, since it has been dormant. Is it producing hot water? Is it heating the coach?

How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter on the Webasto? I change mine once a year (we use it about 60 days per year). That is an inexpensive option.

Maybe a call to Webasto (number is on the handout that MM gave us, sorry I don't have it handy) could help.

Lee Bornstein
11-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Mike:
Do you think it's possibly the motor? Motor doesn't sound that good - It squeals and is changing pitch/speed continuously. Possibly bad shaft bushing/Bearing? Maybee I'll buy a new motor and see what that does.

We're heading out for 3 weeks of dry camping in Tucson and Yuma Arizona - wanted to have webasto heat but guess I'll just run generator and heat pumps if needed.

Lee
Maybee It will be working for POG III

Lee Bornstein
11-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Tuga:
Changed filter just before POG II.

Webasto runs on house batteries and they're new and well charged - and Im plugged into shore power.

Mike: Not popping breakers - Nozzle is 0.65gph 80 Degree Hollow Cone

Lee

MangoMike
11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Lee,

Unless one of the "brains in resident" on the site has a better idea, I would replace the fan/fuel motor. JW did this on his and as I recall it was about $80, so not a big money in the scheme of things. Don't forget to get me some pixs so I can add it to my W dog & pony show for the 40' guys in the future.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
11-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Lee,

I had the dragging motor issue as Mike mentioned and the new motor fixed it all. Plenty smooth now and it runs well.

JW

Lee Bornstein
11-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Jerry:

I'll pull motor out next month and make this my Christmas Project. Leaving Sunday for 3 weeks of Dog Shows in Arizona. Hope it doesn't get too cold. Will have to run heat pumps this trip I guess.

Lee

Lee

rmboies
11-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Lee,

I have no advice for your Webasto, will leave that up to Mango and friends :rolleyes: You mentioned heading out for dog shows for three weeks--what kind of dogs do you show and do they always travel with you in your coach? We have never taken ours with us though some day I may give it a try:D

Lee Bornstein
11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Debi and Bob-00

Currently showing a Standard Longhaired Dachshund. He's just 11 months old, adapted easily to the coach and travels in a Vari-Kennel under the dinette while we're moving.

Previously we had three Afghan Hounds that we traveled with in the coach. They are all gone now ... they were all bed hogs and I remember many nights my wife and I would share the bed with all three... Hence the name Three Dog Night!

Aside from the companionship, the dog gets me out walking atleast 4 times a day. I missed that during the 9 months we were without a dog. We've been travelling and showing dogs as a hobby for 40 years and that's what got us hooked on RV-Ing.

Hope to meet up with you at POG III

Lee, Barb & "Jack"

rmboies
11-11-2006, 08:52 AM
<< I missed that during the 9 months we were without a dog. We've been travelling and showing dogs as a hobby for 40 years and that's what got us hooked on RV-Ing.
Hope to meet up with you at POG III
Lee, Barb & &quot;Jack&quot;[/QUOTE]

ha, three dog night, I love it :D Mini dachs, short haired, were my very first dogs in life so dachs of all styles have a special place in my heart. Hope to meet you, Barb and the &quot;kids&quot; at POGIII as well but so far, Bob-00 has his brakes on again. I need to do something about those breaks like sell the company instead of now expanding:mad:

Lee Bornstein
12-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Webasto Update - You don't want to remove the Webasto Burner from a 40' coach with Bus Air... No room to work and it's just about impossible...

OK - Here's a recap of my story.... Webasto ran fine last season and I was negligent in not running it every 30 days during the summer.

In Sept had oil and filters changed on my coach prior to going to POG II in SantaFe.

At POG II we had a Webasto Seminar and decided it was time to fire up my Webasto as it hadn't been run since last spring. With numerous on-lookers watching and listening it was determined that my burner was not working properly and probably needed a new nozzle. Mango offered to help replace nozzle till he saw what was involved in accessing the burner.

I went home, ordered a new nozzle, replaced it and fired up the unit and it worked no better - probably worse than it did at POG II. Sounded like I needed new motor.

Took it apart the other day, ran motor/blower on bench and it sounded fine. Reset spark gap, reinstalled burner and it would not fire up at all.

No smell of diesel in exhaust then I looked closely at the Kralinator C8 diesel filter on the webasto and in French it says &quot;conditionneur de refroidissement&quot; translation - COOLANT FILTER.

The Idiot that did my filter change put a coolant filter with additives where my webasto diesel filter is supposed to be. Coolant filter on coach was not changed.

I have to go out tomorrow and buy a new filter - hopefully that plus another new nozzle will make my webasto run again. Also have to replace coolant filter on coach. Anybody know number for coolant filter on 1996 Detroit 60 series engine?

Lee

Kevin Erion
12-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Lee, my 99 uses Detroit # 23516489, cost me $59.76 at Valley Power Systems on 8/06.
Kevin

truk4u
12-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Lee,
I just serviced mine and used NAPA, I'll get you the number unless someone beats me to it.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Kevin and I found out that different converters use different filters. If you post the number of your Webasto Filter be specific as to the converter.

truk4u
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm talking coolant filter Jon, not Webasco..

Lee Bornstein
12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Diesel filter for my webasto is Napa 3225
Coolant Filter/Conditioner is Kralinator C8 or Penray NF-3000 or Napa 4071MP

Put correct filter on Webasto today and Eureka- It Works again!

Some white smoke but all seems to be working correctly. Gotta find out why it's smokin. Any Ideas?

Lee

MangoMike
12-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Lee,

You're a man on a mission. Keep up the good work. Traditionally white smoke means wrong fuel to air ratio. Did you replace the nozzle? Are you operating at high altitudes? At the bottom of the unit at the air intake is an adjustment for the volume of air entering the system. Unless you moved it during repair, at the advice of Webasto techs, I wouldn't mess with it.

I would let it run for a while as sometimes that cures the white smoke syndrome.

Mike

merle&louise
12-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Lee,

If you remember my white smoke problem in SF.

I found out after changing nozzle and the fuel filter that the problem was my alternator. The alternator was not properly charging the batteries and that low voltage lead to the white smoke.

After I had the alternator re-worked with brushes, rotor, and voltage regualtor; my batteries were fully charged and the white smoke disappeared.

You may want to check your batteries and their rate of charge!

Just a thought!

Lee Bornstein
12-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Smoke dissapeared after 20 minutes of operation - guess it was just loose crud or that had to be burnt out of combustion chamber.

All is working well now and coach is &quot;Hot to Trot&quot; now. Next trip - 3 days of dog shows in Palm Springs right after New Years.

Lee