PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water Tank

Bobby
11-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Well I didn't make it to Texas,, Had to take it to Divine Coach in Phoenix, New Tiers (6 ) Wabasto repair that didn't last,new turn signal, new jake brake switch, water lines broken from last winter cold, and now need a new fresh water tank. (where do you order one the right size? I think 100 gals.) and I have help (grandsons) to install.
Wow, I'll have a New Coach when all done.
Bobby

garyde
11-20-2010, 04:12 PM
HI BOBBY. Here is some possibilities.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=HPIB,HPIB:2009-45,HPIB:en&q=RV+water+tanks

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi Bobby, just a comment, Stainless can be welded for a repair, there are also welders for plastic.

The plastic welders are specific to the type of plastic requiring welding. I extend these terms in a general manner and use them casually, just wanting to give you a direction to look for a solution to your problem that you were not specific in describing, about which I made certain assumptions. :p I may be wrong:eek:

JIM ;) :D

rahangman
11-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Bobby, my condolences. What is your CC Coach # , got any pics? We have had several "experiences" with ours , but thing (read HOPE) that we have nearly all of the major stuff under control. Keep us posted.

Bobby
11-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the information about where to get a new tank. Stainless Steel would be the best to replace with for sure.
My Coach is 1989 #60077 only 170,000 miles on it. Just has not been used enough but I plan to change all that when ever we get every thing fixed. We are getting close now just the little things like heater, and water and ----= etc.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
The hardest part of ownership of a used coach is dealing with the surprises. Unless you are an experienced Prevost owner I suggest you take the time to methodically learn and understand every system starting with the ones that will really bite you in the butt.

On an older coach, unless you are certain of the history start with replacing brake chambers, air bags and suspension valves. Air suspension leaks drive most owners nuts and an air bag failure will put your bus on top of a trailer to the nearest repair facility. I shouldn't have to explain why replacing brake chambers is important.

The house systems next have to be evaluated and repairs made. A totally leak free plumbing system is vital. A leak not only can create serious water damage and rotting of the wood and steel, but it can create mold and mildew problems that can render the coach unusable. The electrical system should be pristine. I have seen older coaches with obvious home made wiring hanging down and of poor quality. Most of the time it seems the home made wiring was to jury rig something rather than fixing it correctly. Potential fire hazard there.

The remaining systems are creature comfort and convenience systems like heat and AC. They need to be checked and operated before needed. The heat side of the coach needs to be evaluated so when in sub freezing conditions the house as well as bays are heated to prevent broken piping.

As to replacing a water tank I would not do it. I would pull the old one and get it repaired. If it is plastic get it to a plastic fabricator familiar with that type of construction and have it fixed. While creating a new stainless tank seems the way to go, the cost and difficulty providing the right holes and mounting brackets may prove difficult and cost prohibitive.

normancasson
11-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I've recently gone through the same repair--but just a note--Desert West coach in Phoenix replaced both the black water and gray water tanks in my coach a few years ago but for the prior owner. I have a copy of the invoice and they simply measured each side and ordered the necessary pieces in stainless (All the Vogue's has stainless tanks) then welded the pieces together at their shop. When I bought the coach I knew a new fresh water tank was in the offing. Now that I'm somewhat retired and have time to travel I'm starting to tackle an entire list of repairs. I removed the faulty tank myself in about 4 hours-not an easy project but only because I made notes at every step so all would go back together well. Once the tank was out you can then get more than one estimate-I got 3. The first on from someone who specialized in stainless work only & was $2,100.00 for a 130 gallon tank including all the necessary fitting holes. I'd never been this route before so didn't know how good or bad a price that was. The next estimate was from a welding shop for $850.00--sounded nice but didn't have a very good feeling about the shop. I then was referred to a boat builder in Pomona, Ca. and had such a good vibe from my phone call I decided to drive 80 miles w/the tank just to talk to them. I was glad I did--first you want as many bends and as few welds on the bottom as possible because thats where its eventually going to leak. Secondly its makes you feel much better when you can see some finished product going out to other customers which I did. There estimate was for $1,100.00 and its now done and in the bus. If you do decide to tackle the job yourself its not easy but very possible. I also cleaned up the flooring and repainted the floor with garage floor paint--I swear it actually looks as good as the job done by the pros who did the other two tanks earlier. Its not impossible but not easy--just take your time and good luck.