PDA

View Full Version : Stuff management; Looking for a better way

garyde
11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm constantly trying to figure out what to use for storing stuff in the Coach. I have several Plastic crates for my oils, waxes, bottles of whatever, etc. I would like to know how other people pack and store their 'Stuff'.
Plastic boxes, Sealed tubs, Organizing pull out drawers, whatever. I need some suggestions.

Gary Carmichael
11-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Yea, me too! My wife is a quilter and most of the drivers side bay is full of plastic bins with fabric in them, I once used a piece for a wipe rag, wrong! With plastic bins what you want is always on the bottom.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-19-2010, 08:02 AM
While I cannot say I have an abundance of open space, I have slowly been leaving stuff at home. I carry spare parts such as sensors, relays, lights, CBs, common fasteners, etc., larger items such as a Webasto brain and internals for an inverter, an air hose, and some miscellaneous hardware, but I am leaving stuff behind.

I used to carry a spare mounted on a wheel polished on both sides. I used to carry brake chambers. That stuff stays in the garage. I only carry the tools that fit in the tool chest. I carry the DDEC reader. I carry a ladder, two bicycles my chairs and the usual collection of sewer hose, macerator hose, fresh water hose and electrical cords and adapters. I carry a single, half height plastic box with wax, wheel polish, cleaning rags, and stuff I use to clean the outside of the coach.

As time passes we are leaving more and more stuff home and eliminating duplicates and larger sizes of everything from house cleaning products to the food we carry. We are also pulling clothes from the closets. I think we are finally realizing for a trip of a week or two we just do not need to haul all the crap we have been dragging around. It's not like there are no stores where we go. If we left something home and need it we can always buy it. My object is to keep unloading and not figuring how to get more stuff in and organized.

JIM KELLER
11-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Gary, I use plastic milk crates in the storage bays. They stack on top of each other, won't slip off and you can see what is inside of them. I also use some low level Coke crates. They also stack on top of each other without sliding around.

rickdesilva
11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Gary
The best system that I have seen is organized and stacked in various containers and draws is Kellers coach. Ask Keller to post pictures of K (keller) Mart. Everything is put away in a meticulous manner. He even has foot condoms if you feel the need.

Gary Carmichael
11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
What say you Mr. Keller?I assume this is a real person or am I biting at the hook here?

truk4u
11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
If you ever get the opportunity to check out Mango's H bays, you will be in awe! He was so excited at Kerrville to find a Honda scooter in one of the bays, hadn't seen it in months. He is the all time supreme storage commander capable of putting 10 lbs of doo doo in a 5 pound sack.

garyde
11-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Yes, Jim please send some photos along. Truc, I thought about Mango's rolling restaurant, I hope he will post some ideas as well. Jon, your absolutely right, I always pack 3 times as many clothes and things than I will ever use, its the 'just in case' compulsion.
I do agree about tools , ladders, hoses, etc. , don't leave home without those items.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-20-2010, 07:31 AM
The problem we have is self created.

For years we used our plane for travel. As all pilots know weight and balance is a critical concern. So for each trip, depending on who was traveling I would tell the allowable weight of our luggage. It doesn't go over real well when our week long trip is only allowed to have 35 pounds of luggage per person.

So when we got the bus I announced there were no limits on what to load and bring. Big mistake.

JIM KELLER
11-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Rick, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Gary, Keller still doesn't know how to post a picture. My class in Kerville was cut short due to a low signal. Jim Skiff and Dale Farley tried to teach me though. Could be the " Old dog new trick syndrome. "

dale farley
11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Jim, The problems we were having at Kerrville weren't related to any of the dogs involved. A bad signal plus software complications just didn't make for easy picture uploading.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Jim Keller, email a picture to Skiffer or Tom and they can post it along with any comments you wish to include in the post.

We who are computer challenged need somebody with skills to write an article we can print out and follow step by step.

truk4u
11-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Jim,

I just posted a thread for pictures, see if you can get through it and if not, call me.

rickdesilva
11-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow this a tuff group, no sympathy for upload ignorance.........Jim just let Karen do it!

GDeen
11-22-2010, 10:58 PM
I Really like those clear plastic containers of various sizes with the latching lids. One larger one for the grill which keeps all the greasy stuff and smells locked up in it. One for the pressure washer and hose and other washing stuff. Smaller ones for a variety of items. The clear ones are the easiest to keep up with because you can see what is in them. The nice thing is that you can buy these in almost any variety of size and shape to fit all the spaces available and still keep things organized.