PDA

View Full Version : Private Coach Emblem

dale farley
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
If anyone is interested in getting a Private Coach emblem, the ones at this link are very nice. They are aluminum that is black powder coated then the letters are cut and the double sided tape is applied. I think they are the same ones that are supplied to Marathon. You get 2 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170557494615&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

BUSTER
11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
This is a good deal....I paid way more than that for one at Marathon....around $50 or so if my faulty memory is correct....at any rate...a lot more for 1

GDeen
11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Is there a reason other than aesthetics to have these? Tollway fees, etc?

dale farley
11-17-2010, 12:11 AM
There have been discussions about toll booths trying to charge commercial rates for a private coach. DMV may also have questions as to whether it is commercial or private. The emblem just validates that it is actually a private vehicle.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-17-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't know if signs are required, but if we are perceived as commercial vehicles it affects tolls and likely some scales or inspection stations.

Cops know by looking at the license plate if the coach is commercial or not, but toll booth folks can't necessarily see the plate. I have no front plate.

I own a dump truck for personal use. When I spoke to the Highway Patrol regarding registration, scales, etc. I was advised I am not even obligated to cross the scales, but it was strongly suggested that I do cross them because I look like a commercial vehicle and if a cop has to chase me to prove I am not obligated to cross he may find something to write me up for to make the trip worthwhile.

I think the signs just are one more thing to avoid confusion.

Charles Spera
11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Sooo.....you say I may be paying higher tolls than I need to? Seems like every time I go through a toll gate they count the axles and that's it. Maybe on the Ohio Turnpike where they weigh you as you enter the tolls it is different?
I hate the "special" treatment I get when I pay high tolls.
BTW, we have "Private Coach" plates in place...maybe a little research is in order.

Kenneth Brewer
11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Many turnpikes (Pennsylvania, for example) weigh vehicles automatically, commercial or otherwise, as you pull through the lane, and particularly where there is no booth operator where the ticket is issued as you pull up. And it makes a difference whether or not you are commercial or private coach, as well. Others don't weigh but count axles. Years ago when leaving the pike, I would have to tell them I am not commercial, where the ticket at the start was issued automatically. My belief is that if there is an upper and lower ticket dispenser, and your ticket comes from the upper, be careful to tell them when it comes time to pay. I have had toll booth operators, when I tell them I am an RV (much less a problem than saying coach or motorcoach), step out of the booth to double check even with the Private Coach emblem staring them in the face. Yes, I know, maybe it's my face causing the problem.

My unsolicited 2 cents.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Chuck, many bridges and turnpikes differentiate between private vehicles and commercial ones. The NY Thruway for example has different fees depending on the class of coach and it is definitely cheaper for a private coach.

Other toll roads or bridges do not differentiate and go by weight or axles. We learned a long time ago to ask for the fee schedule on toll roads we are not familiar with and before I move away I see if they differentiate. If they do I make sure we have been given the right ticket because in some cases they make it very difficult to make the change at the paying end. Unless you pull up the brake and let them know you will go sit in the living room until they figure it out.

hhoppe
11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
When I made my first stop at the toll booth on a bridge in California the toll collector looked down the side of the bus and said you can go. So I went, paying no toll. Evidently busses do not pay toll here. It has not happened for me since. They count the axels including the tow car and I fork over 9 or 11 dollars. Both of my busses had Private Coach signs on them. By the way our exhaust pipes exit on the toll booth side so ease your throttal past them. We have enough enemies of our diesel exhausts.

Woody
11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
FWIW Easy Pass seems to take away all variables.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Woody,

There are those of us who never have to pay tolls. That's the price you pay living in the northeast where the roads are shitty, the traffic is heavy, and the tolls are ridiculous.

If I remember correctly we paid about $80 in tolls to get to Maine. Going northwest through the Chicago area is equally expensive. And where the roads are in good shape, and traffic is light we don't have to pay tolls. Go figure.

Woody
11-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Part of the reason that as of Nov 4 we are Florida residents and Maine visitors and have decided that I 95 is our enemy. The Smokey and Blue Ridge mountains use more fuel but a lot less tension - NO tolls!