PDA

View Full Version : Prevost Service records

Gary Carmichael
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I need some in put from some of the group. We bought our coach in Feb this year, I have all service records for this coach from Liberty and some from the original owner, There was service done on the coach in Mira Loma, and other prevost sites. the original owner does not have them any more,now to the problem I called Rose Baker when I was in for service in July, ask if I could get the records for this coach, she said have the original owner e-mail me with approval to release these records and we can get them for you. This was in Sept this year The owner "original" sent his ok to release form in. Now two months later I get this e-mail from Rose. Mr Carmichael, I have been notified that the company policy is that we cannot give out coach repair records. However, we can advise the last time the coach had any services. Sorry for the inconvenience. Has it been Prevost policy all along how did the rest of you get info from them. Aggravated! Miss Baker is at the Nashville location.

Steve Bennett
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Gary, we have not had any problems getting records in the past. I would recommend calling Bill Jensen to see if it is a shift in policy, or if someone is misinformed.

Gary Carmichael
11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Steve, who is Bill Jenson

garyde
11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Prevost has some fuuny rules. Now, as I have been informed by a POG member, if you ask for a bid from Prevost for some work on your coach and you then decide to take the work else where, Prevost will bill you for the bid. 10% of the bid. So, be careful.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Gary,

That is a serious issue and one that I think needs to be confirmed. If in fact Prevost is adopting a policy of charging 10% for a quote if they are unsuccessful (that seems too stupid to be true) then they are on their way out of the motorhome business. That is a wild prediction, but consider the impact on owners.

I know that the Prevost costs to do simple repairs such as air bag replacement or slide seal replacement are high. I know of a POG member who recently sought to have Prevost repair some minor body damage and his quote from Prevost was 10X what it ultimately cost. If any of our sponsors are listening and if what you say proves true this is a business opportunity being served on a silver platter.

How can we confirm if this is in fact a new policy and how can we learn if it applies to parts prices as well? Unlike a seated bus company or a large converter we POG members are individuals with no clout. If Prevost is changing their business model perhaps POG needs to change its way of doing business and we as members should begin acting collectively so we have a more visible impact. My guess is if every POG member acts in concert with one another Prevost may return to being more like the Prevost of old and not the one of today. If Prevost is in fact instituting this policy then perhaps we need to support our sponsors who are willing to step in and fill the service function of Prevost.

Gary Carmichael
11-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Maybe this is a Volvo decree that is being put in place? I need to know who bill Jenson is I am trying to get some old records2006-08 for my coach which nashville prevost refuses to give me.

michaeldterry
11-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe this is a Volvo decree that is being put in place? I need to know who bill Jenson is I am trying to get some old records2006-08 for my coach which nashville prevost refuses to give me.

Contact info for Bill Jensen from the Prevost website:

William Jensen
Regional Service Manager - Hawaii, US and VIP Shell Division
Cel.: 1-800-997-7386
william.jensen@volvo.com

Kevin Erion
11-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I had the misfortune of having a surprise date with Bambie. Bambie lost but the the front bumber also paid the ultimate price as well! 8 weeks and part of the bumber showed up yesterday, if I am lucky the rest will show up next week. A bumber on a vechicle that is still somewhat a current model, and I can not drive without one!
I was told I would be charged for the estimate if I didn't have them do the work or buy the parts from them. Well, I had them do a small amount of the work and some day I will get the parts that have been on order for 2 months!

Gary Carmichael
11-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks Mike,,

truk4u
11-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I have asked Bill Jensen for clarification on this policy.

michaeldterry
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Prevost has some fuuny rules. Now, as I have been informed by a POG member, if you ask for a bid from Prevost for some work on your coach and you then decide to take the work else where, Prevost will bill you for the bid. 10% of the bid. So, be careful.

A few months ago, while researching some work needed on Evangeline that amounted to a partial suspension overhaul, I solicited detailed quotes from several vendors including some recommended POG sponsors and Prevost Nashville. I was shocked to see that the Prevost quote was almost $13,000 over the next highest bidder! I expected them to be a little higher maybe - but more than double? Give me a break! Well - surprise! They didn't get the work (and I didn't choose the lowest bidder either). I've not been billed anything for the quote - so far! But if they do get the notion to bill me for that ridiculous quote, they'd be more apt to get blood from a rock than any money from me! On the other hand, I did buy all the parts for the job from them - but I did that separately on the phone with my parts contact there without referring to the request for quote, which was handled by the service manager.

Gary Carmichael
11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Michael, have you or a previous owner done any suspension work on your coach prior to these estimates, your signature shows you have 110000 or so miles on it just wondered how often this has to be addressed. Are you talking air bags, valves,shocks, steering etc?

garyde
11-09-2010, 09:08 PM
In my business, if a customer keeps requesting bids and I never see the work, I simply don't bid to them any longer. In Prevosts case, they're kind of stuck , they have to bid Prevost insurance work , repairs, etc. I don't see anything wrong wih it as long as you know up front. They just don't want to be used as a second or third bid. It cost money to price jobs.
I would also say if there is a less expensive bid from competoitors, I would share the info with Prevost. They will eventually get the message they are not competitive.

charlesebrownjr
11-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I am at Prevost Fw tonight and I am not happy. They started at 8:00 this am doing a chassis insp. Then an outside contractor showed up at 9:00 (as scheduled)to do an alignment and performed the work in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to Prevost telling me it takes 4 to 5 to do. Then the mechanic changed my oil, filters etc. Then the coach sat ther till 6:30 when I went and told the guys in the shop it didn't look like any one was going to perform moore work, so back the coach out and I will go park it. The svc. Mgr. Told me at 3:00 they were going to get started shortly and work till 12:00. Wrong!
These folks get absolutely no performance out of there shop. Out of all the trips to a Prevost shop I have made, I would bet you the coach has spent More time sitting than time being worked on. I will say I am happy with the work that has been done so far but it is absolutely a back end whipping to get it done. Some one please recommend a good place to go to have normal maintanence and routine svc done. I have seldom had any work done that could no have been done by many of the old converters mechanichs.

LarryB
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Buddy, I also would like a recommendation in the DFW area for Bus work. I have an appointment on the 1st for a level 3, but based on what I have read here, they may not get my business, we are on the road and don't have time for a poorly run shop to use our time and money in such a manor.

On a related subject, we tried to get work done last week and they had no parking due to freeloaders filling their parking lot and no room for customers.

Seems they must have too much work to treat the customer this way in such an economy.

Jamie Bradford
11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I , too , am a bit perplexed with Prevost service work. I was in Nashville two weeks ago. I had a question about the bill I received and called about it three days ago......................... still no answer? I was only questioning 1 hour out of 11. I was right there with them the entire time they were working on it so I know how long they took.

Up to this past trip I was generally happy with what they did but this time was a bit "trying" to say the least. I found it difficult to get an answer and it seemed no one was really in charge??

Gary Carmichael
11-10-2010, 05:46 AM
I guess I would have to agree with Jon, If this going to be the norm as per service and questions to Prevost, then it's a golden opportunity for a company willing to give good and timely service, although we are still under the thumb so to speak when it comes to parts!

Jon Wehrenberg
11-10-2010, 07:43 AM
We have as POG members and sponsors a lot of highly qualified and skilled shops. They participate on our forum. They have vast experience, not only with the house, but with the chassis.

I am confident it POG members are seeking an alternative to Prevost for chassis service that we can convince these folks to set themselves up to service the Prevost Chassis.

I have stuck my nose in a lot of places on my coach dealing with maintenance issues and repairs. When I started doing it I had no specific knowledge of what was involved but learned that with a good set of tools and a suitable place to perform the work the Prevost chassis is actually not overly difficult to work on. All of the sponsors in my mind are more than qualified to step in and do the work. There will be limitiations. But Prevost also has limitations. Engine and transmission work is not done by Prevost, but by Detroit or Allison. So that will not change. There may be problems dealing with body work, whether the coach is riveted or not, but there are shops that already possess that expertise.

There may be some jobs that are just nasty and a shop might not want to get involved. I cannot picture too many shops that might have the facility or means to deal with fuel tanks for example, or pulling a differential, or replacing windows on an XLII. (Side windows or awning windows).

But our routine jobs like brakes (chambers, slack adjusters, pads, shoes, etc), suspension (air bags, norgren valves, etc.) oil changes, lubes, routine inspections, radiator replacement, coolant service, slide seal replacement, hub seal replacement, bearings, U-joints, electrical trouble shooting and repairs, alternators, AC service, are all common and well within the skill set of anyone capable of doing repairs on the conversion.

I would hope all of the sponsors who wish to step in and become a one stop shop to service the conversion and chassis would post it here and tell us what their range of capabilities will be and what we as POG members need to do to avail ourselves of their service.

As POG members we need to support these folks because from what we see and read Prevost does not have a business model that makes it easy for individual owners to get the service they need at a reasonable price. I think they view older coaches as a pain.

I also think that we as POG member need to realize that any sponsor who steps in to fill the void has to make money. They are not in business because they have nothing better to do. Our sponsors are in it for the money and profit is not a four letter word. As customers we need to be willing to pay a fair price and we need to allow the sponsor to make money. For example, If it takes 8 to 10 hours to replace a set of air bags it is not unreasonable to expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1000 or more for the labor to install them. Also, if the sponsor sees that the brake linings or pads are getting down and also should be replaced, don't assume he is trying to stiff you for more money. Pay attention and take his advice. It is always more efficient for you and the sponsor to deal with these tasks when the sponsor is already in there and can do additional work rather than postponing what has to be done.

I think as this situation unfolds POG members need to come together as a group so our collective muscle can be used for the good of ourselves and our sponsors. We need them as much as they need us and we already know them because they support us at our rallies and with valuable information they post on our forum.

Just a brain dump.

michaeldterry
11-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Michael, have you or a previous owner done any suspension work on your coach prior to these estimates, your signature shows you have 110000 or so miles on it just wondered how often this has to be addressed. Are you talking air bags, valves,shocks, steering etc?

Gary - to the best of my knowledge, this is the first suspension work done on my coach. The spec'd work includes all air bags, all shocks, 3 ride height adjustment kits, all brake chambers, swaybar and shock bushings, drag link boot, and air dryer cartridge replacement. I'm waiting on one more small shipment of parts that are in transit (5 more brake hoses) and then the work will commence in a couple of weeks.

LarryB
11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Well said Jon, I for one like to do SOME of my own work, however while on the road that is almost impossible either in terms of facilities or time. I have never used Prevost but as I am sitting in the Dallas area I thought I would give them a try, just want them to be organized enough to not waste our time. The work requested is not trick and a good shop certainly perform it without much problem, just need those sponsors to step forward.

HarborBus
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Michael, I see you have been working on this project since August 31st. Don't get me wrong you have done the right thing in getting several bids as the work your having done is substantial. As I step back and look at your situation I just think it's BS to have to go to such lengths to get work done on our buses. One of the reasons I bought a bus was the ability to have them worked on by the manufacturer of the chassis and the peace of mind that should go along with that. I get the impression that it used to be that way, but as time goes on it seems to be going in the wrong direction. Maybe they just don't want to work on the older ones so they are pricing use out.

Alek&Lucia
11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Michael,

I totally agree with Jon: support our sponsors.
I would always choose somebody that is fully equipped and insured, and has trained knowledge to do any job on our buses.
With your job there is no cutting corners, go with reputable shop.

Alek

Jon Wehrenberg
11-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Gary asked about how often suspension work has to be addressed and he mentions his mileage.

This is anecdotal so everyone needs to verify what I am saying and develop a plan for maintenance that fits their needs.

The suspension systems essentially consist of ride height valves, air springs (air bags), a number of Norgren spool valves and a manifold with solenoid valves. From my experience these do not need service as a result of miles, but moreso due to aging of rubber components. So for my purposes I will replace all valves (except ride height valves) and all air bags every ten years. I will replace the solenoid valves as needed, and I will replace the ride height valves as needed.

I have specifically not addressed IFS components because I don't have one, and at this point I am not sure anyone knows what the life will be for the bushings. I suspect that as needed will be the rule of thumb with inspections every 5000 miles when routine lubeing is done.

The above works for me. Obviously each owner needs to determine what will be best for his coach.

charlesebrownjr
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks Gary, italked to Eddie a few moments ago and will take my coach over there this weekend. I had good luck with these guys while at Boddy Gregg so I will give them a shot!!!

michaeldterry
11-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Michael, I see you have been working on this project since August 31st. Don't get me wrong you have done the right thing in getting several bids as the work your having done is substantial. As I step back and look at your situation I just think it's BS to have to go to such lengths to get work done on our buses. One of the reasons I bought a bus was the ability to have them worked on by the manufacturer of the chassis and the peace of mind that should go along with that. I get the impression that it used to be that way, but as time goes on it seems to be going in the wrong direction. Maybe they just don't want to work on the older ones so they are pricing use out.

Yeah Elliot - I've taken my own sweet time in getting this project spec'd, researched, organized and done for a few reasons. First and foremost reason is because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and it's takes me some time and a lot of research to be sure of what I'm doing! :o Next, given the importance and size of this project, it was crucial to balance the need/desire to save money with making certain that I chose a qualified, motivated, adequately equipped vendor to perform the work. Third, I hoped to be able to choose a vendor reasonably close to me geographically for convenience and being able to keep an eye on the job as needed. Finally, I wanted to learn as much as possible in the process to carry forward for future reference.

With the help and guidance of POG members, chiefly Jon Wehrenberg, I feel good about the time I took to research the project and am comfortable with the vendor I chose to complete the work.

I'll gladly report back and disclose any mistakes/errors in judgment that become evident as the project is underway and post completion as I have no pride/ego. :rolleyes: Yeah - that's the ticket! :p

Orren Zook
11-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Jon, I believe that you are also correct on the time frame of 10 years (maybe the miles too) for the IFS rebuild too, I rebushed mine this past summer, because of age cracking in the bushings. And Michael, was that $13k higher than the next bidder correct? WOW! How can Prevost qualify that number? When I was at their JAX facility in June the only 'new' seated coaches were Volvo's - maybe we are destined to become stepchildren in the grand scheme of things .... After the parts you have purchased are your costs in line with the labor that the service provider you have selected will be in line with your projected costs?

michaeldterry
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Jon, I believe that you are also correct on the time frame of 10 years (maybe the miles too) for the IFS rebuild too, I rebushed mine this past summer, because of age cracking in the bushings. And Michael, was that $13k higher than the next bidder correct? WOW! How can Prevost qualify that number? When I was at their JAX facility in June the only 'new' seated coaches were Volvo's - maybe we are destined to become stepchildren in the grand scheme of things .... After the parts you have purchased are your costs in line with the labor that the service provider you have selected will be in line with your projected costs?

Yes Orren - they were almost $13,000 higher than the next bidder! And yes, the total costs for parts and labor are well within the median with my selected service provider.

HarborBus
11-10-2010, 07:29 PM
OK Michael, you promised to tell everyone who you finally chose to do your work..........................so who is it?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Jon, I believe that you are also correct on the time frame of 10 years (maybe the miles too) for the IFS rebuild too, I rebushed mine this past summer, because of age cracking in the bushings. And Michael, was that $13k higher than the next bidder correct?

Orren,

My guesstimate that I used to determine a ten year life for my suspension components was based solely on personal experience and other similar anecdotal evidence. I know of three air bag failures at the ten year point that three POG members including me experienced. One was from rust and corrosion at the bottom metal cannister, and the other two were leakages of the air bags due to dry rot and cracking. I suspect the environment plays a role, with heat and exposure to drying playing a role which is why some folks have never had a failure in 15 years and others failing sooner.

I also suspect on the IFS that the same factors come into play as you have said.

I can speak a little about the costs knowing the extent of what Michael wants done on his coach. I will only speak in terms of my personal experiences and how my times compare to what Volvo is currently charging. I have changed fours sets of air bags, none of which was done as fast as possible, but was done at a steady pace. The steers and tags are easily done in under an hour and depending on the coach (XLIIs are easier) the drive axle air bags will take longer. I use a 10 hour total time as a good number. I know that can be beat but that estimated hours keeps the math simple. The last number I heard from a POG member was Volvo priced the replacement of air bags at $4400, and assuming all air bags cost $142 each ($1136 total) that leaves roughly $3250 for labor.

I believe Volvo uses similar ratios in pricing labor so I can understand how there can be that spread between a shop that quotes $100 or $125 an hour and bases the quote on the hours I experienced. I think anyone that has replaced air bags will agree they can all be replaced by one person is a hard day. Volvo has more overhead, I presume they consider every moment from driving the coach into the shop until it is driven back out to be billable so I can understand their pricing models.

A smaller shop, especially one where the owner is on the shop floor is going to run very efficiently so the difference on the same tasks is going to be similar to my air bag example above.

I think Volvo sees POG members as nasty bitchy owners, and I think we are somewhat upset at Volvo because when we are charged prices at their level our expectations are so high that we as owners will accept nothing less than efficiency and perfection. I wish we could go back to the days when we dealt with Prevost, but that is apparently not going to happen. So the bottom line is we either suck up the pricing Volvo charges, or as owners we develop our own service companies, working with them as partners which is the way it used to be. I used Prevost exclusively for the first 4 or 5 years of ownership and Prevost was superb. But policies change and we as owners have to accept those changes or move on.

I will let Michael speak to his specific situation. I just wanted to explain how I see the pricing variation you noted.

charlesebrownjr
11-10-2010, 09:35 PM
John's sentiments are right on. As I stated in my previous reply, I have never been dissatisfied with the quality of work at any of the Prevost facilities it is mainly a matter of time consumed to perform the various task. For instance, today they started replacing my muffler. I had a different muffler installed in FL last week by one of our sponsors who did the work in about 3 hours. By the time I got back to LA, I realized it was too loud especially with the jake brake operating and the welds on the tip we installed all broke and the bottom came off and is now part of the I 10 median some where.
I left Prevost a 7:20 to come spend the night at my son's and they were just about to get through with the exception of putting on a new tip I got in Coburn, OR. at some place who chooses not to be one of our sponsors. I would really like to see if some of our sponsors will do as John suggest and communicate with the group about what kinds of service can be done at there facilities. Maybe we could form a committee to gather the information from the various vendors. Maybe if enough of the sponsor were in key locals we could set up so called regional shops. As John has stated, we need to support these people if they are going to support us. Prevost labor rate is $106.00 per HR. I don't have a problem with that, I just want my coach worked on and not sitting in the camp yard with me laying on the couch watching TV. I want everybody I do business with to make a profit on the work performed because I feel if they make a profit on my work they will take care of me when I come back and (so to speak) be glad to see me coming. I have been in a couple of very heavy service businesses that relied on servicing customers and equipment and not making a profit was not fun.
Sorry for the length of post but I feel all of this needs to be talked about. Thanks all

Gary Carmichael
11-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Profit plus good service equals satisfaction! being in the utilities business for almost fifty years, we earned the trust of several municipalities, A 24" water main break at 3:00 AM they called us. They knew that the work would be done with the least amount of disruption as possible, The bottom line you do not mind paying for great service!

JIM KELLER
11-11-2010, 07:45 AM
I think the performance of each Service Facility is a direct result of management and employees are a reflection of management.

michaeldterry
11-11-2010, 07:47 AM
OK Michael, you promised to tell everyone who you finally chose to do your work..........................so who is it?

Elliot - the vendor I chose is Rob Russell of Russell Coach in Knoxville, TN. The choice was based on the following factors (in the order of consideration):

Demonstrated expertise, experience, facilities, and equipment to successfully complete the requested work;
Recommendations from knowledgeble sources;
Reasonable and fair pricing;
Vendor's demonstrated commitment to customer service and enthusiasm for my project; and
Geographic proximity (3 hours to Knoxville vs. 9 hours to the second choice)

Alek&Lucia
11-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Michael,

Good choice ! I was also considering to take my bus to them for chassis work,

Alek

travelite
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
For those of you who live in the Charlotte, NC area, I have a service facility to recommend:

Burke Christian Tours, Denver NC:
http://www.burkechristiantours.com/location.asp

They service a fleet of 50 or so Prevosts. Great service and great prices. Super folks. They'll
also service other bus brands.

Will Garner
11-12-2010, 07:50 AM
My experience returning from OKC in 2009 at Prevost Goodlettsville TN (read Nashville) was not positive. The problem did not get fixed, simply a change of fuel filters would have done the trick, and in less than an hour too. They did the work on the night shift to get me back home of which I was appreciative. I also spoke with Ms Baker about her driveway recognition problem after dark. She related all sorts of political good old boy network problems with the Goodlettsville Town Council. I sent her a letter as a professional engineer, at no cost, about the liability problems associated with the positions the council had taken. I am still waiting on, but not holding my breath, for an acknowledgement from Ms. Baker.

I like Ron Beverly, but the rest of my experience with Prevost Goodlettsville is not positive.

As David has stated, check with the closest Tour Bus operator. They may well be able to service your coach. I have mine serviced at Holiday Tours, just south of Greensboro in Level Cross, NC. Jim Hudson is the shop manager, (336) 808-0330. They are good people, great technicians, and good times at the shop. I don't have their street address but they have a web page so look it up if you are passing through the area. Just call ahead to see if they can service you. They are an exclusive H3-45 fleet having sold the last of their LeMirage XL's last year.

rahangman
11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
As David has stated, check with the closest Tour Bus operator. They may well be able to service your coach. I have mine serviced at Holiday Tours, just south of Greensboro in Level Cross, NC. Jim Hudson is the shop manager, (336) 808-0330. They are good people, great technicians, and good times at the shop.

We recently were involved with the "Radiator" listed in Ebay for $500. Radiator is great, but it was not the one I need. (Read 1994 XL S-60). Anyway, the owner, Crossroads Travel was very helpful and we hit upon an excellent deal on a new (read re-core) with National Warranty. It took a few days but I am more than happy with outcome. $$$ saved and problem resolved, in a somewhat timely manner given circumstances. This is not the 1st time I have leaned towards a Tour company and surely will not be the last. Major cities all have them.

Gary Carmichael
11-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Happy day, I just got back from Carolina to V.A. and guess what was in the mail box, All the service records that I have been trying to get for months from Prevost. I think what happened Prevost sent the documents to the original owner and he forward them to me, 2 envelopes! I am so glad to have the complete records. I thank the original owner, any one on this site that may have helped with a phone call, or note to Prevost! I even have the original invoice from Prevost to Liberty for the shell! I am now as complete on records as you can get . Many thanks to all!