PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke series 60

Danss
10-29-2006, 12:36 AM
When engine is cold just after cranking I get lots of black smoke when pressing pedal to get moving. When engine gets to operating temp. no more black smoke. Ideas?

garyde
10-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Too much diesel not enough air mix? I know very little but what I have read it sounds like you are not getting the proper air/diesel mix thru the injection . Could also be a sensor issue.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Gary is right. Our engines do not have a wastegate or turbo controller. The boost we get is based solely on how much exhaust output the engine is producing. That is dependent on how much fuel is called for by the pedal, and that is determined by the DDEC based on how much turbo boost that sees. Confused?

This is a case where you might want to get a the codes read. It might be that the DDEC thinks you have more turbo boost (air) available for your engine than it really has. I can't explain why this is a cold engine situation, other than the heat of compression is what ignites the fuel, and with less heat it is not firing efficiently, but generally that is shown with white exhaust (unburned fuel).

truk4u
10-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Some smoke on a cold diesel engine is normal, but if it looks like your fogging for mosquito's, the other post may be right. Turn on the Webasco engine heat for a couple of hours and you won't have any smoke.;)

win42
10-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Ditto truk4: I very good DD tech in Springfield, OR told me he has a customer that he would not think of starting an engine without first starting the Webasto and pre heating the engine. He gets hundreds of thousands of miles from his truck engines. Truckers put on more hours a week than we do in a year. We have the Webasto as truk points out, or a day before cranking the block heater should be plugged in to pre-warm the engine. Our diesel generator motors have similar preheat options.

Be fore-warned a nice warm engine will attract wire chewing rodents. A deterent is pepermint extract soaked cotton balls put in key areas of the engine and other wired devices. They got my wires under the DDEC computer and on top of my Webasto. It took two days to find the engine problem.
Harry