PDA

View Full Version : Noises

Woody
10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Just used my OTR heat for the first time for about a thousand miles south from Maine.

There is a frequent noise that sounds like a flapper valve opening and closing that has become so frequent we have turned the heat off - it's getting warm anyway.

The noise was mysterious - we have wrapped all our pots, china, booze and the noise didn't stop - it did when the heat was turned off.

Any body have an idea what I should look for?

We'll probably need OTR AC tomorrow and don't know if we should try it.

HELP

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Didn't hear the sound, but could it be the forward shutter cycling open and closed due to a short or loose wire in the actuating circuit? Just guessing.

JIM :confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I doubt if Woody's bus has forward shutters but it is easy enough to verify.

What is needed is more information, such as where is the noise coming from, does it happen on OTR or just heat, is it affected by adjusting the thermostats for forward or whole bus temperature?

Neither of my OTRs in the 87 or the current 97 made a noise beyond the fan noise. I cannot imagine a valve opening and closing making that noise. Is the outside air supply baffle located in the OTR bay on the driver's side loose and banging around? On both my coaches the outside air supply was blocked so the system was always recirculating.

truk4u
11-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Woody,

If your referring to over the road air and heat, I can't help much because I never had it, but if your using the dash air/heat I can. On my 94 Liberty like many other conversions of that vintage, there is a switch to move more heated coolant through the dash heater loop and the pump that moved that coolant made a noise just like you described.

If you have the Prevost big compressor OTR, disregard this.

Woody
11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I doubt if Woody's bus has forward shutters but it is easy enough to verify.

What is needed is more information, such as where is the noise coming from, does it happen on OTR or just heat, is it affected by adjusting the thermostats for forward or whole bus temperature?

Neither of my OTRs in the 87 or the current 97 made a noise beyond the fan noise. I cannot imagine a valve opening and closing making that noise. Is the outside air supply baffle located in the OTR bay on the driver's side loose and banging around? On both my coaches the outside air supply was blocked so the system was always recirculating.

Jon

My outside supply is permanently blocked. Today I tried shutting off the thermostat on the drivers heat and it did shut down the noise which seemed to originate from one of the OTR bays - I can't tell exactly as Joanie refuses to walk around the bus when going down mountains at 70.

When we get to flat lands she may try but by then it will probably be hot and we'll need the OTR air.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Shooting from the lip here, but without looking perhaps it is a solenoid valve opeing and closing? If so I am surprised you can hear it over the noise of the front step dragging down the highway.