PDA

View Full Version : Daytime Running Lights (Headlights)

Will Garner
10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
OK, for the past three plus years I've owned our coach the headlights have always come on when the transmission was initially engaged. That is in either R or D positions. Coming back to the barn last weekend Carole noticed the headlights were not blinding her as they usually do when she spots me entry to the barn. :confused:

So the question I need help on is where to start looking for the problem. Is there a fuse panel in the electrical bay beneath the driver's seat that could have blown a fuse? Is it possibly a wiring issue with the shift mechanism? The headlights work normally with the toggle switch on the dash so I am suspicious the source of the problem is one of the two items mentioned above.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, what did it take to correct it?

Thanks for any and all help.

rahangman
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Can't help directly with your problem, but recently I finally got my "Drive Lights " working. Normal headlights work as your do, however, my drive lights (now with power) work only when the Bright lights are selected. I have the Drive Light switch on overhead panel to my left above my window. Normally aux lights such as fog lights only work on low beam, but these work only with the High Beam. Hmmmm MILES?

Mark3101
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
OK, for the past three plus years I've owned our coach the headlights have always come on when the transmission was initially engaged. That is in either R or D positions. Coming back to the barn last weekend Carole noticed the headlights were not blinding her as they usually do when she spots me entry to the barn. :confused:

So the question I need help on is where to start looking for the problem. Is there a fuse panel in the electrical bay beneath the driver's seat that could have blown a fuse? Is it possibly a wiring issue with the shift mechanism? The headlights work normally with the toggle switch on the dash so I am suspicious the source of the problem is one of the two items mentioned above.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, what did it take to correct it?

Thanks for any and all help.

I am not at my bus now, but I think there is a relay in that compartment for the DRL's. I would check there first and look for a circuit breaker as well as that relay. Could be one or the other. On mine everything is labeled pretty well, so it shouldn't be hard to find if it is there.

Will Garner
10-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Rodger/Mark,

Thanks for the input. I'm going over to the bus this afternoon to start checking. This morning I completed changing out the front TV to digital. Of course I also found another project when I went to change the entrance door light bulb. The gasket crumpled up into a thousand tiny pieces. I have a new bulb and some 1/16" rubber gasket material to fix that problem. Buses are just like a house, always some project(s) to do, yes Dear!

nrhareiner
10-30-2010, 03:53 AM
There is a separate relay for the daytime driving lights. In my bus it is the lowest right relay in driver's side electrical area. It is not a "standard" type relay, and must be replaced with the correct relay.

Will Garner
10-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Kim,

Thanks for the insight. I didn't get the chance to check into the problem yesterday. I will be going over this morning with the problem as my #1 priority.

dreamchasers
10-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Will,

The link below is to a Prevost drawing set that I think will match your coach. The drawing set I have uploaded on my website is for the dates 1990-91, so I think it should help you with your coach. Concerning what allows the driving lights to come on, according to the drawing, a pressure switch on the parking brake circuit. When the parking brake is released, the driving lights should come on. The drawing set is big, very big, 26 meg plus, so it will take a few minutes to download. If you have any questions, call me on my cell 936-328-7881, and we will set a time to work through the drawings with you. Remember, I am on CST, in Texas.

http://www.texasdrifters.net/pog/d060758/d060758.pdf

The drawing set should open in your browser, if you want to save it to your hard drive, select file, then save as command.

Good Luck,

Hector

rahangman
10-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Hector.....as long as you may have your finger on the Schematic/Diagrams button, would you have anything on the Country Coach "Betsy" system. I am not very proficient at this electrical stuff, however recently looking above dash and trying to figure out "why" she clammed up, we thought we could hear relays clicking as though the was tryin to work, but the cat has her toungue, No Voice. I don't see a speaker of any sort dedicated to this system. Before I try another electrical genious type, would love to find a schematic so that I am not constantly starting "cold" when going to someone with a better ohm/volt meter if you get my drift. I am told the switch itself (Mute/Reset) seems to be working ok

dreamchasers
10-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Will,

The man with the finger on the drawing button is Miles C., but I have a few. The files I have on the voice processor are in .tif format. I would be best if you click the link, select the file, then select "save target as" to get the drawing to your computer for better manipulation and zooming in.

http://www.texasdrifters.net/pog/voiceproctiffiles

Hope these help.

Hector

Will Garner
10-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Hector.

Thanks for the link. I scanned the pages this morning and printed some for reference while at the bus later today. I had not thought about the service brake release as being the trigger for activating the daytime running lights. That does make sense now that you mention it.

rahangman
10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanx a bunch for the files. Downloaded and saved to my computer as instructed (and will print out a copy to add to bus file). I am sure this will assist anyone I get to help look for my problem. Duplication of troubleshooting , as we all know, can "vacuum the wallet syndrome"
Once again, thanx a bunch '

The man with the finger on the drawing button is Miles C., but I have a few. The files I have on the voice processor are in .tif format. I would be best if you click the link, select the file, then select "save target as" to get the drawing to your computer for better manipulation and zooming in.

Hope these help.

Hector[/QUOTE]