PDA

View Full Version : Ted Delorme

Loc
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
For those of you who may not know, Ted Delorme passed away on Tuesday morning after a couragious battle with cancer. Ted (aka Mel Torme) was a long time Prevost-stuff poster and one of the original POG members. Ted was one of a kind. He would do anything for anyone in need and always with a smile on his face - the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off of his back and drive 5000 miles to do it. Ted was buried today in the family cemetary on his farm in East Texas. Ted and Jan were married for 45 years and Jan and the family could certainly use your prayers. A memorial service will be held on Friday, October 15, 2010, at Longview Christian Fellowship, 2101 West Marshall, Longview, Texas.

Jan has also invited everyone to their home/farm in Diana (north of Longview) after the memorial service. There is plenty of room for bus parking if you are on your way home from the POG rally.

I will post the obituary when Jan sends it out later today.

Loc
10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
John Theodore “Ted” DeLorme, owner/operator of two East Texas nursing homes, died Tuesday at his home in Diana. He was 65.

Visitation will be held Thursday October 14 from 9 -11 a.m. and 6 - 8 p.m. at the DeLorme home. Following a private interment, a memorial service to honor Mr. DeLorme will be held Friday, October 15 at 4 p.m. at Longview Christian Fellowship Church, 2101 West Marshall Ave. in Longview.

Mr. DeLorme was born June 24, 1945 in Ft. Worth to William Courtenay DeLorme, Jr. and Claire Youngblood DeLorme, formerly of Birmingham, AL and Charleston, SC.

Ted attended Arlington Heights High School in Ft. Worth and graduated from San Marcos Military Academy. He received a Bachelor of Business Administration from East Texas Baptist in Marshall and became a successful business owner.

On August 20, 1965 he began what would become 45 years of marriage to his love, Jan Williamson, at All Saints Episcopal Church in Ft. Worth.

Responding to a call from God to minister to people who need nursing care, in 1985 he became a Licensed Nursing Facility Administrator and moved his family to Longview to become the Administrator for Highland Pines Nursing Home.

He served at Highland Pines until 1994 when he became owner/administrator of Windsor place in Daingerfield, Tx. In 1998 he acquired The Springs Nursing Center in Hughes Springs, Tx

His love for his staff and residents, and his ability to truly take care of people, made him a successful care giver and administrator. He also invested himself in his church, Longview Christian Fellowship, and served on the Longview Christian School Board.

He was preceded in death by his parents and grandson, Jesse Randolf Hesley.

He is survived by his wife Jan; daughter Courtenay Bradshaw (Bailey); son David “Buck” DeLorme (Edie); daughters Mary Madeline “Maidee” and Kate Thornton (Tim); and son Charlie DeLorme (Lily) all of Diana. Brother W C DeLorme; Katheryn DeLorme-Arronovici; Charles DeLorme. Fifteen grandchildren: David and Laura Claire Hesley, John, Catie Grace and Charlotte Anne Bradshaw; Rachel, Samuel and Gracie DeLorme; Molly Hall; Ethan, Emily, Abby and Hannah Beth Thornton; and Aidan and Ryan DeLorme.

Memorials may be made to Longview Christian Fellowship Church ministries, 2101 W. Marshall Ave., Longview, TX 75604.

GDeen
10-16-2010, 02:49 PM
JDUB, Loc, Jim and Barb Chaloupka and I attended Ted's service and the reception following at the DeLorme house. The service was highlighted by tributes to Ted from his children and grandchildren. He has built quite a legacy in family and good works, and will be missed by all.

Jan and Buck, Ted's oldest son, went on and on during the reception about how much POG meant to Ted. His POG moniker, Mel Torme, was the perfect alter ego to his daily work with mostly women in his nursing home business - that straight from Jan. He loved the banter and discussion on the board. If you weren't party to any of those threads, search back - Mel was as good at it as anyone wielding his sharp wit.

POG members should be aware of the amount of personal care and attention one of our members has given Jan and Ted during these difficult months. Loc McNew has been there for them at MD Anderson, been there for them when Jan and Buck had problems with the bus, and they will only know what other kinds of support he has given them.

We were introduced to many people, and when Loc's name was mentioned you could see the "so you are the one" look they gave him. The POG group should be proud to know Loc - as am I - he is a good man.

merle&louise
10-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I first met Ted at the Sevierville Rally. He was parked next to me and Karen. At the time he had a '95 Liberty that was blue and he had it shining like a diamond. He was having so much fun fixing things on it and tinkering the way we all love to do. He asked me if I had a large cresent wrench and it just so happened that I did. He used it and 10 minutes later I felt like we had known each other for a decade. He was that kind of a guy!

At the Oklahoma Rally he had just bought Shookie's Liberty (2000 XL green); I can't remember if he had taken delivery of it but I think he had. I had been drooling over it for a few months when he bought it. I teased him about snatching it out from under me and he laughed and said "I'll sell it to you for the "right price". We talked that day inside the United Engine repair shop for about 15 minutes - that was the last time I saw Ted.

I sure will miss him; he was a good man.

aggies09
10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I am truly sorry that Jen and I were unable to attend the memorial service for Ted. I met Ted and Jan on Labor day weekend 2008. I had only been a POG member a short time and a bus owner for three months. Ted and I hit it off right away and I felt a kinship with him that is uncommon among most people. Ted was helpful at pointing out a few things about the bus that I should make sure I addressed and I was thankful for his advice and guidance.............I had helped Ted find a dove lease in west Texas and that is where he was headed when the blue bus lost it's engine. That facilitated the purchase of Shookie's bus and I couldn't wait to see him and Jan at the OKC rally. He was really proud of his new toy and as I recall was excited that his daughter was coming to the rally as well.

For those of you who didn't know. There is a little town in west central Texas called Thurber. Thurber is right on I-20 about 100 miles east of Abilene and about 60 miles west of Ft. Worth. There is a restaurant in Thurber known as the Smokestack because it is located next to a very tall smokestack from industrial days long since gone in this sleepy little town. Ted and Jan used to own that restaurant and that is where Ted picked up his magnificent short order skills. I encourage each of you to think about Ted and say a little prayer for his family each time you make the run across I-20 in what he referred to as "God's Country", I know that I always will.

And for that certain quasi government employee that was of special mention above..............Thanks for your help with the DeLorme family...........It is appreciated by all.......

MangoMike
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Ted aka Mel Torme had no problem keeping up with the big boys.

This is his work in front of my bus one morning in Sevierville at a POG Rally.

Will miss him.

Mike

Loc
10-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Here is an email from Jan this morning:

In the days following Ted's death our youngest son, Charlie, spent much of his time putting together photos for Ted's memorial service. All the kids brought over pics and we scrounged up in the barns and attic for more. I was right there with them digging in boxes not really knowing why, just mechanically gathering. The link to youtube.com is the gift Charlie gave to his Dad and to me. I didn't realize how precious it was going to be. Seeing all those photos of Ted happy and smiling began to wash away the recent memories of his face so tired and in pain. I watch it like a baptism letting the sorrow of "now" be washed away and replaced with the greater reality of the joy our whole life's journey together. Watching this reminds vividly me of the overriding love, joy and companionship we had in our life's journey together.
Ted was my best friend and lover, my "other" and we were blessed to have had this life together . The song in the background he knew was his Dad's most "Favorite Song Of All". You shared our pain and walked this road in prayer with us. I want to share this joy with all of you. Let it load, turn up the volume and enjoy. Jan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDbfyz5E-y4
www.youtube.com

Gordon,

Thanks for the kind words. Ted would have done much more if the roles were reversed.

Steve Bennett
10-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Although I never had the privilege to meet Ted, I was very moved by the tribute provided by his son. It shows a life well lived, and a man that quite obviously knew what really matters, as evidenced by the love of his family and friends. My heart goes out to all who's life had been touched by such a wonderful person.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Ted and I talked on a few occasions and had a few laughs. We knelt on the ground in OKC monkeying with his OTR. He was one of my favorite people because he had such a quick wit and I especially loved it in his posts when he took JDUB down a notch or two. We will miss him.

michaeldterry
10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
What a beautiful and moving homage to an obviously extraordinary man! Even though I did not get the opportunity to meet Ted, I feel that I knew "who he was" from reading his posts here and from the wonderful stories that are told about him by so many who were fortunate enough to have known him. I am moved beyond words.