PDA

View Full Version : Lost Direct TV signal

jj628
10-04-2010, 08:27 AM
On our last trip the in motion satellite worked fine through half the trip. The next time I turned it on --no signal from Direct TV. I've hit the red button to reset, unplugged for 15 seconds, reset all of the settings and still no signal. I can hear the satellite dish trying to acquire but nothing happens. I miss my old hand crank dish that I could "eyeball" in in about 30 seconds. Any idea's ? jjf ( The receiver works fine--brought it home, plugged it in and had instant signal)

jack14r
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
I had an LNB fail this year,your problem sounds the same.

merle&louise
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
John,

It sounds like your problem is in the antenna. Who is your antenna manufacturer?

If it is TracStar just give them a call and they can walk you thru a "reset". I have done that and it is easy.

Good luck!

jj628
10-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I have a Winegard system. I have a call into them to see if there is a reset. jjf

Jerry Winchester
10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Call DirecTV. I'll bet the issue isn't in your dish but on their end. When we had our bus stored for a month or so, this was frequently the case. They magically "reset" it on their end and it comes on. I think you can also do it online if you have your account set up that way. It's a stupid deal, but that fixes it every time for us.

jj628
10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I had called them before but whatever they did didn't work. I'll try again. jjf

Jon Wehrenberg
10-04-2010, 03:56 PM
If the dish is constantly searching it is not receiving a signal. When we have been away from the bus and Direct TV doesn't see activity they shut off the signal to our receiver, but the satellite locks onto the Direct TV site and we get a message on the TV screen.

Somewhere within the Winegard system is the problem.

GSwaim
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Your bus satellite system is actually two subsystems. A mobile satellite system which I understand is a Winegard dome. The second system is the DirecTV receiver(s). Some brands of mobile satellite systems rely on voltage from their sister subsystem, the satellite receiver. Winegard domes are one of these satellite systems and uses the output voltage of the receiver to power the LNB of the Winegard. If that voltage is not present the Winegard will constantly search without locking onto the satellite. I would check the “satellite in” cable running from the receiver to the satellite system for continuity. This can be done by checking for voltage at the LNB (13 – 18 volts DC). If there is voltage but the Winegard Dome won’t lock onto the satellite then you probably have a bad LNB or tuner board in your Winegard Dome. Unfortunately most Winegard products out of warranty are throw aways. Winegard has a terrible reputation of not providing replacement parts outside of the warranty period. Hope this helps.

hobobimmer
10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
What is an"lnb"? Our system has started to malfunction periodically and I think it may be what you are describing. Ours will lock in but not hold it long term. It will hold it about 10 mins. Eric thinks it is related to watching Southpark, but I think there is more to it than that. If someone could tell me what an "LNB" is maybe I will know enough to call the kvh folks. Thanks. Deb

Jon Wehrenberg
10-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I can save you both a lot of future grief. Just replace what you have with a TracStar.

End of issues.

Or you can drive yourself nuts screwing with a satellite system that doesn't begin to compare to a TracStar and takes the "recreation" out of recreation vehicle. I went down the path you are going with the Winegard and KVH and after 4 years of TracStar bliss I wonder why anyone chooses anything else.

jack14r
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Jon is right,I have had both and TracStar is the best.

jj628
10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Winegard did call and basically told me what you all have--not the go buy a Tracstar part--. I will pop the dome off and see if anything is obvious and it has the right voltage. I am also looking at TracStar in my area or in Phoenix. Still miss my no nonsense crank up. jjf

GSwaim
10-07-2010, 08:37 AM
To answer the LNB question, the LNB is the head in front of the dish (reflector) that appears to be looking back at the reflector. It collects the satellite signal coming off of the reflector and send it to the satellite reciever. If you don't have signal, this is one of the items in the signal path. BTW, in many mobile satellite systems, such as the Winegard & KVH, the LNB is powered by the satellite receiver. No power to the LNB means no signal can be collected.

Being in the satellite business for more years than I care to count, I would agree, the TracStar SV-360 in-motion system is the satellite of choice for those folks that want little to no problem. The Winegard is a problem waiting for the most inopportune time to break with little to no replcaement parts available, and the KVH, although nicely built is over engineered to be dependable. In my opinion, KVH has done a nice job with their latest system, the R6 DX. If you go with this brand, this would be the one to consider.

BTW, NO dome system is dependable for HD reception! They all offer Dish Network as a HD alternative and I've tested all brands. None have met the criteria of being dependable. The way to go for HD is the MotoSat HD universal satellite system. It is designed for our rounded roofs and is universal for all sevice providers. Being US made is a unique feature that fits my taste as well.

Hope this helps, CYA at the POG 9