PDA

View Full Version : POG IX Shooting Sports

GDeen
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Attention All POG Shotgunners.

Given the success of the sporting clays event at POG 8 in OKC, we have decided to have another shotgunning session in Kerrville. This will be a little different though as you will be shooting skeet and trap for your lunch. Not killing animals for lunch, but the right for the losers to buy you lunch.

Bandera Gun Club has 2 skeet fields and a trap field, and is more than anxious to have us come run a little shooting tournament. They do not have a sporting clay set up and the closest place that does is run by a prick. He will thusly not get any POG business as long as Skiffer or I have any say in it.

Each team will be made up of 5 randomly drawn shooters, and will cycle through a skeet field and trap field. This will be similar to a scramble in golf with the exception of prior handicapping of the teams. We are all handicapped in our own individual way so that will not be necessary. Highest score wins.

Cost will be $10 / shooter for the birds + $10/ shooter for lunch. The winning team and top shooter shall enjoy a free lunch and bragging rights, while the rest of you will enjoy eating a big dose of humility you had the privilidge of paying for.

A few specifics. #9 is the largest shot allowed on the range and he sells shells in all gauges. He also rents shotguns so no worries there. There is also a pistol range we are welcome to use at $5/ person plus ammo. He also has an uzi and grease gun to rent and spray bullets at silouttes for you gangsta wannabes.

This will be on Monday Morning, Oct 11 with a 10 AM start. Bandera is a neat old western town about 30 minutes from Kerrville, so the non-shooter / wives may want to spend a little time and money in town.

What say you? How many are interested? Please indicate by responding to the thread. I may adjust the pricing slightly as we are still working out details.

ToyMan
09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm in. Just have to bring more toys.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
I am in for the shooting exhibition.. What shall I bring to feed the winners ?

I broke all of the clay targets I shot at last year,......... but some ( lots ) of them hit the ground first.

Gary S.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
09-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm in, and ready to earn another shirt.

Ed

truk4u
09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm in, anyone can beat Mango!

charlesebrownjr
09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I am in:cool:. Can I use my 22 rifle to make sure its fair;);)How can I eat "Filet, potato, salad and desert for $10.00:mad:

kenrobertson
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm in.....sign me up

GDeen
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM
IHow can I eat "Filet, potato, salad and desert for $10.00:mad:

Must not have Golden Corral up in the Monroe area eh Charles??

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm in, anyone can beat Mango!

Tom, I didn't beat Mango!!!
Sandy

Reagan Sirmons
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Gordon,
I'm not a shooter...just found the hat !!
Count me in if you need to fill out the roster.
Very best,
Reagan Sirmons
Pres

garyde
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Im in as well. Make sure Roger signs up so we have a great lunch!

JIM KELLER
09-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Is there a Range for hand guns ?

Danss
09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm in! Dan

Steve Bennett
09-29-2010, 08:03 AM
I am looking forward to it!
Steve

Jim Skiff
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Gordon,

As you know, I'm in but have to confess I didn't beat Mago either.
I know Dave Wishnoff and James Stallings will be there with ells on.

Sandy should have gotten a prize for hitting anything with that 410.

rfoster
09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Ooooh Gary that hurt.

Maybe I can carry somebody's bullets.

GDeen
09-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Is there a Range for hand guns ?

yes, there is a handgun range....

charlesebrownjr
09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
I am like Gary. If my targets are shot while on the ground, that does count as a kill, RIGHT:confused:
I think the Golden Corral went out of business here just for that reason, trying to serve what was supposed to be a (real) beef fillet and all the trimmings for $10.00:D
Havent shot skeet or trap in many years, will be fun.

Pete
09-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Well, guess I will try to find my old shotgun and shake the dirt daubers out of it and see if it will still shoot. (how is that for saying how long it has been since I used it?)

ajducote
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I will attend and use the handgun range. Can we use our own ammo on the handgun range?

JIM KELLER
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Miles, Sign Laura up for the handgun range. She was to intimidating with that pistol grip short barrel shotgun ! Couldn't sleep for weeks after we saw her sling that thing around.

Seabyrd
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Been a long time but I'm willing... Count me in..Larry

Wally
09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
PUT THE LIBERTY GUYS IN

DAVE WISHNOFF & DAVE WALL

Jim Skiff
09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Gordon,

How do I reserve the Uzi and the Sten gun?

Jim

Jim Skiff
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Jim.

My question is what inspired Laura to bring in out in the first place?

Jim Skiff
09-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Jim Chaloupka,

Bring that 410 pistol you had in Branson.

Jim

Yankee802
09-29-2010, 06:38 PM
As long as I'm not going to miss some informative lecture or class, I'm all in!

GDeen
09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Jim,

I will put your name on it first. you want it for trap or skeet??!

GDeen
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok, thus far we have:

Ron Hampton
Gary Stevens
Capt Ed
Truk
Charles Brown
Ken Robertson
Reagan Sirmons
Gary D
Danss
Steve Bennett
Jim Skiff
Roger Foster
Pete P
Larry Byrd
Dave Wishnoff
Dave Wall
Yankee
Gordon D.

Still lacking some very very famous POG shooters on the list. I suppose they are going to sign up fashionably late.

For you pistol only shooters - you are welcome to come along as well. You pay the $5 fee and shoot your own ammo. I am working up a lunch deal through catering or the range ownership for the skeet and trap teams, so you may just pay your own way on that.

GDeen
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Miles, Sign Laura up for the handgun range. She was to intimidating with that pistol grip short barrel shotgun ! Couldn't sleep for weeks after we saw her sling that thing around.

Was it the Taurus "Judge?" shoots Colt 45 / 410 shotgun shell in a revolver. Loaded with 410 shot shell probably the best self defense firearm you can have in a bus given the lack of need for perfect acccuracy and limited collateral damage to nearby vehicles...I have fired one loaded with the 410 and it will give you a helluva kick and bring the noise....

Gary Carmichael
09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Did any one from POG go to the Vintiger,at Pintail Point Maryland this weekend, was a weekend of shooting and great guns from all over the world. They had hammer gun and hammerless competition. Water dog course. Stalking rifle etc Gary

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Did any one from POG go to the Vintiger,at Pintail Point Maryland this weekend, was a weekend of shooting and great guns from all over the world. They had hammer gun and hammerless competition. Water dog course. Stalking rifle etc Gary

Gary, I would have liked to see that, but am in West Memphis,AR on the way to the rally. Did you go? Where else is the event held and how often?

JIM

flloyd
10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Count me in for handgun practice (up range :-)

-fred

GDeen
10-03-2010, 03:20 PM
bring it on Fred...

..we have a new sponsor that has full body armor looking for some participants in live fire testing - you in? Free ammo for your up range portion of the event if so.

Jerry Winchester
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
As much as I would like to come school up the POG Hitler Youth with a shotgun, I have to fly back to Houston that morning for a meeting then fly back in the afternoon. Sucks to be me.

Gary Carmichael
10-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Jim, The Vintigers has been held at Pintail Point for the last 3-4 years before that Upstate NY, always held last week of Sept. If you ever have the chance you should go. I usually have a display of Parker Hammer guns cir 1874-1885, along with some other rare pieces, 8ga etc, Gary

JIM KELLER
10-04-2010, 08:04 AM
As much as I would like to come school up the POG Hitler Youth with a shotgun, I have to fly back to Houston that morning for a meeting then fly back in the afternoon. Sucks to be me.

James, Looks like this makes you the " High Score Dude " for this Event !

GDeen
10-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Update on shot size allowed on range.... #9 largest on skeet range only, #7.5 and up allowed on trap range (Thanks D Wishnoff for clarifying).

For all wanting to shoot your handguns, or more skeet or trap after the "official" shoot, feel free. We will have a lunch set up, so we may hang around as long as we like shooting the guns and bulls....

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

GOOD, now maybe somebody else has a chance at winning the shooting contest. If memory serves me right., JDUB's score at the Oklahoma rally was 98 out of 100 clay hits ????

How in the world are you trailering your Cessna behind the bus :confused: :D:D:) Did I say Cessna, oops, I meant Bonanza....! Oh well they both tow the same don't they !

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I love it. Posting for the world to see that Jerry tows a Cessna.

Gary, you might just as well drive right on past the hangar because you ain't going to hear the end of that one. He flies a V tailed Bo. It's a nice plan for folks that cannot afford to buy all three parts of the tail section.

Reagan Sirmons
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
What is the circled "x" doing by my name on the list ?
That will hurt my psychic ability to concentrate.
I did find the shooting hat and it fits but I need all the help I can get.
Reagan
Pres

Jerry Winchester
10-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Of course Jon speaks like a true Cessna owner and Spongebob speaks like, well... Spongebob. Nuff said. However, I take confort in the fact that the recently retired editor of Flying magazine stated in his last editorial (thus able to speak the total truth) that after all the years of flying and testing every plane imaginable, his all time favorite was .........

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ch5CDcwwvqk/TGW7P66NdmI/AAAAAAAABFI/x8WsIDZHuYc/s400/DSC_0268.JPG

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Ok, thus far we have:

Ron Hampton
Gary Stevens
Capt Ed
Truk
Charles Brown
Ken Robertson
Reagan Sirmons
Gary D
Danss
Steve Bennett
Jim Skiff
Roger Foster
Pete P
Larry Byrd
Dave Wishnoff
Dave Wall
Yankee
Gordon D.

Still lacking some very very famous POG shooters on the list. I suppose they are going to sign up fashionably late.

For you pistol only shooters - you are welcome to come along as well. You pay the $5 fee and shoot your own ammo. I am working up a lunch deal through catering or the range ownership for the skeet and trap teams, so you may just pay your own way on that.

I'm in, maybe Barb too.

JIM

GDeen
10-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Jim and Barb - consider yourselves added to the list....

Here is the current game plan. We will be at the club ready to go at 9 AM (40 min drive). We will randomly draw teams and let the games begin. After many stops and starts, rather than cook onsite or have a meal catered out there, we will head into Bandera for some Mexican food when finished. Apparently the world skeet shooting competition is going on down the road in San Antonio, which has limited the club owners ability to do a BarBQ for us. Frankly I am surprised some of you aren't shooting down there at that event based on the stories I heard from OKC.

Whatever the case, the weather looks to be great, the club is looking forward to hosting our event and it should be serious fun.

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Jim and Barb - consider yourselves added to the list....

Here is the current game plan. We will be at the club ready to go at 9 AM (40 min drive). We will randomly draw teams and let the games begin. After many stops and starts, rather than cook onsite or have a meal catered out there, we will head into Bandera for some Mexican food when finished. Apparently the world skeet shooting competition is going on down the road in San Antonio, which has limited the club owners ability to do a BarBQ for us. Frankly I am surprised some of you aren't shooting down there at that event based on the stories I heard from OKC.

Whatever the case, the weather looks to be great, the club is looking forward to hosting our event and it should be serious fun.

Barb was a maybe and now is a definite NO. No real reason just exercising her female right :confused:;):D

JIM

GDeen
10-07-2010, 11:12 AM
No problem Jim - we will take it on the fly as they say.....those rights are liable to be excercised around my house at any time.

GDeen
10-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Just a reminder - meet up at 8 AM in the morning around the windmill ready to roll. We can group up in carpools and pass out maps at that time. Thanks.