PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee and Dishwasher water line and automatic shade sensor........

hobobimmer
09-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello all. These three topics are obviously not related, but I'm hoping to have the brain trust give me some ideas about all these issues.

First. Zip Dee. 2003 Liberty Lady Classic. Automatic awning. Worked perfectly in Canada for a month this summer. Used it frequently. Two weeks after we came home, cleaned bus and pushed awning button (on both crestron and awning remote) to continue its regular use. Nothing. Not a sound. I hear the compressor fan blowing, but there is no auditory signal that anything is trying to work or unfold. I have not seen a breaker for it, so I assume I haven't turned it off. I do have a question about how the front arm of the awning looks at the connection with the awning (thinking that maybe it is not in the proper position) ( I'll go take a picture to show you what it looks like to see if that is how it normally looks.) But, if it were out of alignment, I would think you would still hear some kind of noise indicating that it is trying to open. So, what would be the logical things for one to check for on this one?

Second. Dishwasher supply line. When we bought bus, on our inspection, I saw one small drip under the sink, where the dishwasher supply line connects to the water supply. I could not reproduce this leak no matter how hard I tried, so no repairs were made at that time. I did tighten the connection a little when we got home with a plan to observe it periodically. I kept plastic bin under this connection, because I assumed it would show itself again at some point. I was right. We had no leak here from March to July. On our trip to canada, after driving 8 hours or so the first day, there was some water under this connection in the plastic bucket. Then the next day there was no water under this connection. I watched it like a hawk. Then, everytime we would drive, it would leak some. I had the valve turned off at this point, to avoid a major problem, but there was some residual water in the line running to the dishwasher that would make its way out when we moved. One day, there was so much water in my plastic bucket, that I assumed the water cut off valve might not be working. But I have tested the valve with nothing hooked up and there is no water leaking through valve to be able to leak at the spot that had been leaking. I tried installing another fitting in canada, but due to the tenison on the line, it pulled the line crooked, and it leaked. I've been searching for a proper fitting to handle this situation, but the plastic line is just larger than 3/8 inch, so you can't get any kind of sleeve over it to make the connection. So, to make a long story short, I am afraid I am going to have to get another supply line for the dishwasher and install it. It appears that the connection that was here before is not what came standard with the dishwasher, as the install booklet indicated the fitting was one that was slightly different.(I might be drawing the wrong conclusion on this one.) But the big question is, how difficult will it be to remove all the panels that liberty has installed to cover up this line so I can trace it back and make the connection with the dishwasher? I see some screws that I guess I will have to start with, but I have not disassembled the Liberty cabinet guts before, or taken out any drawers, so I am a little intimidated. If someone who has moderate handy man skills can give me a pointer or reassurance that I will be able to put it all back together, I guess I will try to get a supply line from the dishwasher manufacturer and go from there.

Third. The sensor that tells one of our automatic shades to stop rolling up does not stop it and we have to hit the stop button to stop it and keep the motor from burning out. Can you replace the sensor alone or do you replace the whole motor? Where are these parts found and how easy is it to remove this from the bus to replace?

GDeen
09-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Do you guys have the LTSomfy window shade motors? If so, there is are 2 buttons. You hold one down until you get to the limit you like and release it. My limit switches quick working and rather than spend a few hundred$$$ I just hold down the button until it is where I want it.

Below is a doc which describes operation if this is what you have.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Deb,
What brand of Dishwasher do you have in the bus? Ours is a "Sandy".:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I will check ours and see if Ed can help you out?
Sandy

garyde
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
The Zip Dee has a control box with a reset breaker for the awning motor. My contol box is located in the 3rd starboard bay with the OTR fans. There are also 3 switches in the control box, the top one i believe will manually run the awning motor.

jack14r
09-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Some of the panels under the sink have screws and some are just velcroed.They are real easy to get out,as far as taking out the cabinets to get to the dishwasher I don't know how to attack that yet.

pwf252
09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Eric/Debbie,
I have/had the same issue with the awning and it was the reset breaker on the top of the control box. I have a troubleshooting manual that I could E-mail you if you like or I can run you a copy and bring it to Kerrville next week.

hobobimmer
09-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Patrick, thanks for the offer, but I found our manual yesterday. I'm going to contact zip dee tomorrow to see how they advise I should solve the issue. The breaker did not act as if it needed to be re-set, at least I couldn't push the button hard enough to get it to press in. Neither could Eric. I did some trouble shooting and observing and have enough info that I think they will be able to tell me what to do. I will post anything I learn that might help someone else out in the future. One of the hydraulic arms is not completely seated in the completely retracted position, which probably caused the motor to keep running, so it probably caused the breaker or fuse to trip. I found the re-set button on top. I have not found a separate breaker. I also can't locate the kit in our bus that allows you to work the awning in manual mode. If the former owners know where this kit was stowed, that would be handy to know. I suspect since we were near salt water a bunch in canada, the arm got "sticky" and that is what caused the problem. if I could get it open and re-set the motor, I could clean and lube the arm and I bet my problem would go away. Of course, I am the eternal optimist.

Gary, thanks for telling me where to find this awning control box. It was hidden behind a big access panel in the OTR bay, just where you predicted.

Sandy, our "Debbie" dishwasher is doing a great job. I will call the Fisher-Paykel folks tomorrow to order a new water supply line.
Jack, you have given me courage!! Probably won't try to do replacement of the line until after Kerrville, but at least I have a plan.

Gordon, we are able to stop our shade with a button, so that is not the issue. There is some sensor in the shade that is supposed to stop in automatically when it gets to the top. That is what is malfunctioning. So, when we open that shade, we just hit the manual stop button to keep it from continuing to run. But, if we could replace the sensor, we would be back to new.

Thanks, again, everyone! It is good to know we are not alone when we deal with the things on our squawk list!!!

Deb

Seabyrd
09-26-2010, 04:31 PM
About your Zip Dee... I had the same problem on mine and searched for ages for a breaker but none to be found.. I have a remote in the coach and a manual switch for it in the bay.. neither would work... so after MUCH searching I noticed in the next bay by the TV a GFI outlet was tripped so I reset it and "voila" the awning worked.. so mine is tied into the bay outlets.. maybe yours is too. We had just replaced all the house batteries and when we restored the power for some reason that one outlet tripped. Hope its that simple for you... you may have to check all your outlets to find the right circuit.. good luck ! Diane

Hello all. These three topics are obviously not related, but I'm hoping to have the brain trust give me some ideas about all these issues.

First. Zip Dee. 2003 Liberty Lady Classic. Automatic awning. Worked perfectly in Canada for a month this summer. Used it frequently. Two weeks after we came home, cleaned bus and pushed awning button (on both crestron and awning remote) to continue its regular use. Nothing. Not a sound. I hear the compressor fan blowing, but there is no auditory signal that anything is trying to work or unfold. I have not seen a breaker for it, so I assume I haven't turned it off. I do have a question about how the front arm of the awning looks at the connection with the awning (thinking that maybe it is not in the proper position) ( I'll go take a picture to show you what it looks like to see if that is how it normally looks.) But, if it were out of alignment, I would think you would still hear some kind of noise indicating that it is trying to open. So, what would be the logical things for one to check for on this one?

Second. Dishwasher supply line. When we bought bus, on our inspection, I saw one small drip under the sink, where the dishwasher supply line connects to the water supply. I could not reproduce this leak no matter how hard I tried, so no repairs were made at that time. I did tighten the connection a little when we got home with a plan to observe it periodically. I kept plastic bin under this connection, because I assumed it would show itself again at some point. I was right. We had no leak here from March to July. On our trip to canada, after driving 8 hours or so the first day, there was some water under this connection in the plastic bucket. Then the next day there was no water under this connection. I watched it like a hawk. Then, everytime we would drive, it would leak some. I had the valve turned off at this point, to avoid a major problem, but there was some residual water in the line running to the dishwasher that would make its way out when we moved. One day, there was so much water in my plastic bucket, that I assumed the water cut off valve might not be working. But I have tested the valve with nothing hooked up and there is no water leaking through valve to be able to leak at the spot that had been leaking. I tried installing another fitting in canada, but due to the tenison on the line, it pulled the line crooked, and it leaked. I've been searching for a proper fitting to handle this situation, but the plastic line is just larger than 3/8 inch, so you can't get any kind of sleeve over it to make the connection. So, to make a long story short, I am afraid I am going to have to get another supply line for the dishwasher and install it. It appears that the connection that was here before is not what came standard with the dishwasher, as the install booklet indicated the fitting was one that was slightly different.(I might be drawing the wrong conclusion on this one.) But the big question is, how difficult will it be to remove all the panels that liberty has installed to cover up this line so I can trace it back and make the connection with the dishwasher? I see some screws that I guess I will have to start with, but I have not disassembled the Liberty cabinet guts before, or taken out any drawers, so I am a little intimidated. If someone who has moderate handy man skills can give me a pointer or reassurance that I will be able to put it all back together, I guess I will try to get a supply line from the dishwasher manufacturer and go from there.

Third. The sensor that tells one of our automatic shades to stop rolling up does not stop it and we have to hit the stop button to stop it and keep the motor from burning out. Can you replace the sensor alone or do you replace the whole motor? Where are these parts found and how easy is it to remove this from the bus to replace?

GDeen
09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Gordon, we are able to stop our shade with a button, so that is not the issue. There is some sensor in the shade that is supposed to stop in automatically when it gets to the top. That is what is malfunctioning. So, when we open that shade, we just hit the manual stop button to keep it from continuing to run. But, if we could replace the sensor, we would be back to new.Deb

Hi Deb,
If you have Somfy type motor, they have a limit switch built in. When I say hold down the button and release when you like it, that is during the intitial setup. The instructions sheet shows how to set it up such that it automatically stops when it gets to the right spot (where you set it up). My limit switch quit working completely, and rather than pay $600 for a new motor and limit switch setup, I just made mine maual.

hobobimmer
10-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Zip Dee success! Talked to zip Dee because nothing seemed to work. Turns out, in certain low voltage situations the motor will need to be reset in order for the awning to work. 4 lights have to be on in order for it to function. X5, red,which shows there is enough air pressure to operate the awning, x6, red, which would be out if the purple wire going to the relay next to the reset button has lost continuity, power and run lights which are both green. If the run light is out, simply slide the bottom switch off and on. I can't remember exactly how this switch is identified, but it says plv or something. It is the bottom switch below the manual switch and the motor only switch. So, problem solved. I cleaned and lubricated arms and all is good now.

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem sometime. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Deb