PDA

View Full Version : POG IX KERRVILLE 4X4'ing ??????

Coloradobus
09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
On the Itinerary for Kerrville, Oct 10th 4X4ing with LOC as "TO BE ANNOUNCED" (TBA) Does anyone know, Skiffy??, if there will be a planned off-road event? The deadline for deciding which "towed" to take is quickly approaching, so any info would be great. If nothing is planned, then we will bring the Lexus to make planned runs to Austin and San Antonio more cushy.

Loc
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Jim and Chris,

I have us set up to spend time at Cline Ranch an off-road vehicle park that is approximately 50 miles from Kerrville on Sunday of POG. According to the owner there are trails of all levels of difficulty. I have seen some You Tube videos of the most extreme trails. I am scheduled to go to the Ranch on October 3 to see everything.

Loc

Coloradobus
09-19-2010, 07:21 PM
GREAT, We will tow the Rubicon!!!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-19-2010, 10:56 PM
So I guess there will be NO need to have the Hummer washed and waxed before the Sunday event ?????? :confused::confused::confused:

Gary S.

Coloradobus
09-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Gary, You bet, no need to wash and wax, just use this.....http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2005/06/67794

Loc
09-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I want to get an informal head count for our POG Four Wheeling Adventure. We will leave on Sunday morning and return Sunday afternoon. If you will let me know what type of vehicle you have and how it is equipped as far as tire size, whether you have lockers or a winch and your level of off road experience (be honest - there is no shame in being a mall crawler) it will help me determine which trails will be best. For example:

Loc
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Rice Krispy Jeep - because it snaps, crackles, and pops)
35 inch GY MTRs
Rear Detroit and Front Ox lockers
Winch
10+ years of rock crawling and off road tom foolery

JDUB
Early 80's International Scout II (the Great Pumpkin)
33 inch BFG All Terrains
A lock on each door (does that count as two lockers?)
No winch (I am married)
Since I was knee high to a grasshopper

There are some great videos on YouTube of Cline Ranch. The best videos are from Trickety which show some of the less extreme trails. The trails vary from mild (easily handled by any stock 4x4) to wild (we will probably avoid these but may let some of the Gomers in the group try them if they want). I am headed to Cline Ranch next Sunday (Oct 3) to check everything out. If you are in Texas and want to join me let me know.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I once drove Di's H2 Hummer up on a curb. But the craziest thing I did was drive my 4X4 Dodge Ram onto a gravel driveway.

rfoster
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Jon: Your driveway is tuffer to climb than anything they got in Texas!

pwf252
09-26-2010, 05:38 PM
LOC,
I'll be there. You know what I'm bringing. I ain't gonna be anybodys huckalberry!!!!!!! Well then again I was just getting off the roadway alittle in Maine and several know how that worked out. Does sound like we will have some fun though. Wish I could come down next weekend but I've got a prior commitment.

Coloradobus
09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Loc,
"Rudy" is a 2004 Rubicon with 385 tries, swaybar disconnects, 4 inch lift,, a Warn Winch, land jack equipped, lockers etc. Its over done for us, but we bought it because to was outfitted to tow. A bit above a mall crawler, but haven't driven over any gilbralters yet.

ajducote
09-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Loc,

2010 jeep 4 dr Wrangler with stock 32" tires and a 3 inch lift. No winch, no front locker, factory trak-lock rear. It worked ok at the NOT-"the Fat Begale 4x4" in Durango.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
We have the H3 Hummer X Alpha, which means it looks, perty, but has never seen any dirt or gravel except on the way to the car wash. They tell me it has several options for wheel locks on it, but never used them. No winch, but I have a nice nylon toe line if someone gets stuck.

NEWBIE to 4 wheeling so be gentle on me. Do not get me rolling over and over like you did several years ago. You had to put various parts of your jeep on the trailer to get her home and put back together if I remember correctly?

Gary S.

pwf252
09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Gary,
As Loc I'm sure will concur, thats 4-wheeling. Having to put her back together is how you guage the fun level. Or at least thats how I would view it with someone else's rig. As for mine I really don't like to get it dirty!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Skiff
09-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Patrick,

After seeing that sad performance in West Tremont, I'm sure you are ready to prove your self in Texas. But dude will it be another DeSilva owned Hyundai pulling you out or an Orange Scout from Oklahoma?

Skiffer

pwf252
09-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Skiffer,
I'm arranging to have a modified Prius onsite to be utilized as our go to rescue vehicle. Thats so we can all feel good about being Green!!!!!!!!!

garyde
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
If they have jeep rentals locally, I would be interested in going as well. Or if someone needs a co pilot.

Loc
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Here is the update... I spent about 6 hours on Sunday running trails at Cline Ranch. We are in for some great wheeling. There are some really great trails that will be a lot of fun. The only drawback is that the Ranch is covered with small cedar trees / bushes that in many places are really close to the trail and you may end up with some scratches.

My plan is to run the following trails in this order - Money Pit (named because someone lost their wallet in it); Bloody Leg (named because someone cut their leg on the trail); Lake View (named because of the nice view of Lake Medina); Rainbow Rock (a dry creek bed with some waterfalls when raining that you have to climb); Tower Trail (goes up a big hill); Rock Garden (as you would guess a lot of large rocks) and finally Throttle Up Hill (going down because going up is a real challenge). Although this doesn't seem like much, this will keep us busy. There are several obstacles which will be fun to watch your fellow POGgers try to conquer.

The trails should be doable for any of the Jeeps based on the way that they are set up (each of them has lift and larger tires). I am concerned Gary that the H3 may be a little challenged to run some of these trails. I did not damage anything on Sunday nor did either of the two other Jeeps running the trails, but you will have to be the judge for your vehicle.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Here is the update... I spent about 6 hours on Sunday running trails at Cline Ranch. We are in for some great wheeling. There are some really great trails that will be a lot of fun. The only drawback is that the Ranch is covered with small cedar trees / bushes that in many places are really close to the trail and you may end up with some scratches.

My plan is to run the following trails in this order - Money Pit (named because someone lost their wallet in it); Bloody Leg (named because someone cut their leg on the trail); Lake View (named because of the nice view of Lake Medina); Rainbow Rock (a dry creek bed with some waterfalls when raining that you have to climb); Tower Trail (goes up a big hill); Rock Garden (as you would guess a lot of large rocks) and finally Throttle Up Hill (going down because going up is a real challenge). Although this doesn't seem like much, this will keep us busy. There are several obstacles which will be fun to watch your fellow POGgers try to conquer.

The trails should be doable for any of the Jeeps based on the way that they are set up (each of them has lift and larger tires). I am concerned Gary that the H3 may be a little challenged to run some of these trails. I did not damage anything on Sunday nor did either of the two other Jeeps running the trails, but you will have to be the judge for your vehicle.

In that case Loc, I will just stay at home and wash / wax my Hummer.

Seriously, I don't want to show my ignorance anymore than I already do, by trying to climb hills I shouldn't be climbing in an ON ROAD ONLY vehicle.

Besides you lost me at SCRATCHES !!!! :p

Thanks for checking the trails out for us.

Coloradobus
10-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Naw, they be called Texas Pinstripes. we have them in Colorado! "Colorado PinStripes"!!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Gary,

Just go out and rent a bulldozer. It will go anywhere one of those little Jeeps will go, it makes its own road, you don't have to worry about scratches, and if anyone pisses you off just drive over them.

If its worth doing, it is worth doing to excess.

I'm not sure about what kind of tow bar you would use and I don't know what braking system to recommend.

GDeen
10-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Loc,

Stock Lexus GX470. You reckon I can tear it up enough for my wife to quit hinting at not using her daily driver as a toad and demand it?

Loc
10-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Gary,

That is probably a wise choice. I am afraid that you would not like all the scratches on and the potential rock rash underneath the Alpha.

Gordon,

I will almost guarantee you that after a day on these trails your wife will no longer agree to drive the stock Lexus. In addition you will have character marks on the Lexus that you can be proud of when you cruise the neighborhood - that is if we can drive it off the Ranch.

I am not trying to scare anyone, but this is real off roading and requires a vehicle that is built for such activity (Wrangler, CJ7, CJ5, Defender, or modified 4x4). The grocery getters are not the best suited. I am more than happy for anyone to run what they brung and we can get you through, but it will likely require a fair amount of tow strap and winching. A little lift and/or larger tires make this much more doable and will let you get through most everything (with a possible tow strap or winch hookup on a couple of obstacles).

GDeen
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Loc Man - just messing with you. With natural gas trading in the $3.75/mmbtu range the last thing I want to do is buy Ms Jennifer a new ride.

I will hang out and listen to the Mango Webasto story and tear up over how much money I could have saved had I heard the story a year ago before my Webasto cratered....

Loc
10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
You tell Jennifer that I am willing to help. I hate for you to be bored listening to Taco Boy spew Webastospeak.

Loc
10-06-2010, 06:54 PM
If you are planning on joining us for the off roading please bring along a cooler with water or your favorite drink (alcohol is not permitted on the trails) and snacks. If you have a CB that is also handy. Some type of trash recepticle is necessary as we must pack out anything that we pack in. Toilet paper can also be useful. We will leave Buckhorn around 9 am for the drive over to Lakehills. We should be back by 4 pm at the latest assuming no carnage on the trails. We will figure out lunch before Sunday.

Coloradobus
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Chris and I would like the THANK!!!! Loc for setting up GREAT 4X4 experience at the Cline Ranch. The Rubicon did more, and climbed better than we had imagined. Everyone had a great time. Thanks, LOC