PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need?

dreadnought
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
The bus came with a Snap-on toolbox. Yall give me some help on what to put in it that I'm apt to need. This should be a good question for Jon, huh?

garyde
10-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I always carry the following, but, you might want to look around your Coach and take notes on the different fastening screws, nuts, bolts, etc. you see.

Socket set up to 1 1/4", Hammer, Hacksaw, Box end & Open end wrenches (assorted to 1") 3-4 Screw drivers(Klein) different sizes -strait, 3-4 Philips screw drivers ,different sizes, Klein Side cutter Pliars, Klein dikes, Needle noses (2), razor cutter, razor blades,
Small set of screw drivers(minature)
Duct tape
Volt meter (digital ) Comb. type 0-300 volts with continuity test.
Channel locks ( 2 sizes)
tweezers, magnet screw driver, flash light (led)

Actually, the list is endless. Gary

Jerry Winchester
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Well I thought this one was answered on this forum, but I asked the same thing last year and we answered it over on Prevost Stuff, so here is part of it.

I picked up a small Craftsman tool set that had standard and metric combination wrenches, 3/8 and 1/4" drive deep and standard sockets also with metric, allen wrenches and nut drivers.

I have a couple of those Snap-On ratcheting screw drivers with all the bits in them, adjustable wrenchs, some metric allen wrenches that Lew "Crabby Bastard" Popp sent me, some sneaky screwdriver bits that include torx and those hard to find secret wheel cover hex head with the hole removers (that MangoMike sent me), a 12v/24v test light, volt/ohm meter, laser thermometer, water pump pliers (two sizes), ball pien hammer and a 2lb hammer (to whack those axles with for removal), a battery load tester, anti-freeze tester, battery service tools (post cleaner, terminal pliers, etc.), wire strippers and crimper, diagonal pliers (wire cutters) and a few items I'm sure I missed.

The second most important items were the misc. hardware which included a complete set of crimp wire "things", some stainless screws (10-32, etc) a few misc. 0-rings, and those pesky square drive screws that are everywhere in my coach. I also included fuses, a couple of relays and one or two ancient bulbs for those lights that have not been changed over to LEDs.

To tell you the truth, I use the screw drivers the most. And since POG 2, I keep a slicker jacket with my tools to keep some asshole from using an umbrella to run water down your crack whilst you mechanic on a buddy's generator.

MangoMike
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/sears_screw.jpg

As featured in Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools (he co-founded Wired Magazine)

From the article:
.Several years ago after failing to get my-son-the-mechanic to take a hint and get me the premium SnapOn ratcheting screwdriver reviewed earlier in Cool Tools, I bought the (much cheaper) Craftsman Ratcheting Screwdriver (yeah, good 'ol Sears!) model #41796. Turns out, it was a great buy.

This tool is well thought-out by someone who actually uses tools. The handle is round-and-rubberized rather than square-and-slippery, and it is a bit oversized, so you can actually apply significant torque and work with it for a long time without ruining your hands. It has the best ratchet I've ever used. There is no slack whatsoever. Feels like a clutch-action rather than a geared ratchet. However, if you're like me, you'll never use it, since there's a much better way. The back-end of the driver handle swivels effortlessly, so if you lock the blade in the fixed position, you can keep pressure on the back of the driver and swivel your hand in either direction instantly, without ever having to push a button, flick a button or twist anything to switch back and forth from 'tighten' to 'loosen'. The handle also contains a pull-out bit storage device that keeps 14 additional standard-size hex bits instantly available in individual slots. Just pop one out and swap it for the bit currently in the magnetized driver tip. (no more lost bits.) Comes with a good selection of all the common sizes of blade, Phillips, Torx and square-drive bits.

-- Steve Waskow

Craftsman Ratcheting Screwdriver Set
Model #41796
$25
Available from
Sears

dalej
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Dreadnaught, save the tool purchace for POGIII and we can all go down to all the hardware and automotive stores and spend the money you have left. This will be a good learning session for the guys.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I would be way too easy to break your chops because after spending all those Lewbucks you shouldn't have to pick up a tool for years.

But reality dictates that you should have tools, but as importantly you should have parts.

A few basic tools are certainly required. Mango and Jerry both made good recommendations. Gary is also on the right track. My most used tools are screwdrivers with multiple types of bits, especially square tip (#2) and phillips. Following that are open and box wrenches and then socket wrenches.

You have to decide what you are willing to do on the road. If you are serious about doing what is reasonably necessary to get yourself going, plan on carrying primary and secondary fuel filters and the wrenches to R&R them. Carry large open and box wrenches (1/16 increments up to 1 1/4") so you can cage an emergency brake spring or disconnect and cap or plug an air line.

Definitely add two larger bottle jacks so if you do decide to get under the coach you will be safe. I also carry a torque multiplier so I can remove and repair a tire if necessary, and the plugs to repair a puncture. Don't forget to carry air hose, tire pressure gauge and tire fill tool.

On occasion I will need to check something electrical so I carry a multi-tester. I also have a range of pliers and cutters such as dikes. For spares I carry Schrader tire valves and sealed valve stem caps. I also carry light bulbs but the LED guys will criticize that. I carry fuses and spare relays and solenoids.

I won't leave without a spare set of belts. I now also carry a Webasto control, a spare watchdog, a genset fuel pump, all parts that have previously failed, or which would make my life miserable if they failed.

The longer you have the bus the more you will add.

lewpopp
10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
I will soon be putting my tool assortment into the Smithsonian Museum when I lay down and travel no more.

I can be talked into parting out my Ace Hardware.

All kidding aside, what's a Brand new Torque Multiplier worth. Yes, I guess it is second hand but never been used. I want to sell it. I have no more room for my Oreo cookies.

Lew

Kevin Erion
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Lew, I would like to make you a deal, how many Lewbucks will it take for the very used wheel removing tool?
Kevin(carpet and tire repair man)

Jon Wehrenberg
10-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Last price I saw was north of $700.

Jeffery Raymond
10-26-2006, 04:06 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000EU039O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

MangoMike
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Oh man Jeff. I don't know if I can afford another Bling type contest, the stakes are getting pretty high.

MM

Jeffery Raymond
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=storage&item_ID=69833&group_ID=17805&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Of course, said cabinet is available in 8 different colors to kinda match yer coach.

I think $9 grand is a bit rich just for the cabinets and some will complain that so-and-so tools are just as good for less dough.

But hey, livin' large in the Prevost.

As one old wise man said to me when I complained about the costs..."Just paper up!"

lewpopp
10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I had it out today. No dust on it but it has never been used. Jon is that an offer?

Lew

Jon Wehrenberg
10-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Nope. I got mine and it is pretty beat up because I used it a lot until I got my 1" impact wrench.

Put a picture of it on the site. It is a great tool to have.

lewpopp
10-27-2006, 09:38 PM
It's been so long since I posted a picture it would take me forever. Doesn't everyone know what it looks like?

Lew

Kevin Erion
10-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Lew, If you want to sell the tool, send me an e-mail.
kevin@erionracing.com

Jeff Bayley
10-28-2006, 04:04 AM
I was going to mention the extra set of belts but Jon beat me to it but no one mentioned a flashing safety light. I keep several of these along with flares. I also scatter fire extinguisers throught the bays but I might be getting off topic now.

Jeff

lewpopp
10-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Reminds me of a little story how a guy had a flat tire and pulled over to fix it and no one gave him any respect and seemed to speed up as they passed.

The very next day he went out and purchased a large 12" rotating caution light and mounted it on top of his coach.

When people would see it up there they would ask him what i was faor and he answered " I plow snow with this in the winter". Nuf said.

Orren Zook
10-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Lew,

I recently saw a gear wrench made by Sweeney that sells for around $800US, I don't know if that is similar to yours or if the pricing is competitive.... but who changes their own tires these days, I can get one dismounted and mounted here at home for $25, then there's the cost of the tire or repair to same. While travelling I just call for road service with my travel club - I don't carry a spare, do you?