PDA

View Full Version : TAG AXLE OIL SEAL PART NUMBER

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
I am looking for the tag axle oil seal part numbers for both Stemco and Chicago Rawhide, can't seem to locate them and I need one, someone please help.

I believe they are the same for the steer hubs.

Thanks, JIM :)

Jon Wehrenberg
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Jim,

They are the same. I have them at home. If you haven't gotten them by Wed. AM I will post them.

dale farley
09-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Jim, The one I bought was a Scotseal (SKF) PN 48690.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
That looks like the right number to me. Jim, I know you are careful, but these are very sensitive to damage. The inner race must rotate within the outer race so the key to a successful installation is to drive the seal into place without damaging or deforming that metal outer race. I use a short section of 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 and I tap it in slowly working around it in circles a liittle at a time.

You will also need a gasket for the hub cover unless you use the "form-a-gasket" type material.

Orren Zook
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Ideally a seal driver should be used to install your seals, many truck parts supply houses will have a selection of these that can be rented and used to install your wheel seal. As Jon mentions correct installation is absolutely critical to seal life. Most seal failures are a result of improper installaion - when the seal makes contact against the bearing race resist the temptation to hit the driver again to 'make sure' it's bottomed out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Orren, would you please post the correct CR and Stemco part numbers, so they are all available in the same thread.

Thanks, JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Orren as usual is correct. I have not used the tool although I should, so in its absence I lay the section of wood flat on the seal and tap it in using a circular path to work the seal in place as straight and uniformly as possible and never hit directly on the seal.

I have replaced about 8 seals total so far on my coach and others and to the best of my knowledge have never had to replace a seal I have installed so by being patient in tapping one in place appears to be the secret.

Forgot to mention that you are likely OK on the tag and steer as long as you fill the hub with lube oil, but on the differential it is vital that you either prelube the bearings or insure the lube oil has filled the hub before driving the coach. A dry bearing will be destroyed and may also damage a spindle or axle housing in a very short distance.

Orren Zook
09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Jim,
Here are the part numbers for that application: CR 48690, National 370195A and Stemco (Voyager series) 393-0134. I'd also recommend that you pre-lube of the bearings with the lubricant you will be using before installation. Using a dial indicator, the acceptable range of bearing end play should be .001" to .005" .

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Jim,
Here are the part numbers for that application: CR 48690, National 370195A and Stemco (Voyager series) 393-0134. I'd also recommend that you pre-lube of the bearings with the lubricant you will be using before installation. Using a dial indicator, the acceptable range of bearing end play should be .001" to .005" .

Good deal Orren, you always come through with the right information!

Thanks, JIM