PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans

LarryB
09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Anyone have knowledge of Pontchartrain Landing RV Park in New Orleans? Many have posted info on French Quarter RV Park [a Class A Only Park]. We will be traveling with friends that have a Fifth Wheel so looking for opinions.

Thanks

merle&louise
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Larry,

French Quarter RV Resort advertises in Trailer Life and should therefore accept 5th wheels as an RV. They also state on their website that they accept all types of RVs; I would assume that means 5th wheels. You might want to give them a call.

I have not heard of Pontchatrain Landing RV Park in New Orleans. Maybe it is new. We have stayed at FQRV and it is great; easy walking distance to the French Quarter. I wouldn't recommend walking at night; take your car or a cab.

Enjoy the "Big Easy" it's a great place.

Trendycat
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Larry,

We drove over and took a look at the Pontchartrain Landing Park when we were in New Orleans in February. It is in an old industrial area (abandoned warehouses, etc) along a canal. The road leading into the park was very rough - go slowly. The park does look like it would be prone to flooding during periods of heavy rain. If I remember correctly, the sites and the roads were gravel.

We decided it would be too tight of a fit for us - due to our trailer we're 65+ feet overall but there were a number of large Class A motorhomes there at the time. The pul throughs were relatively narrow and short.

Given the dearth of options in the New Orleans metro area, it would probably be fine for a short stay - they do run a shuttle into the French Quarter, or it's close enough to drive there yourself.

I would recommend Cochon Restaurant (http://www.cochonrestaurant.com/) or the more casual Cochon Butcher (sandwich shop and market - right next door) as an excellent choice for lunch or dinner.

(We were staying at the Cajun Palms (http://www.cajunpalms.com/) in Henderson, LA at the time and went into New Orleans for the day.)

Bruce

Loc
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
If you want to be close to NOLA, but don't want to stay in the FQ try Bayou Segnette State Park. It is on the south side of the Mississippi about 7 miles from the FQ in Weswego (a NOLA suburb). They have paved roads and sites with 50 amp service and water (no sewer, but a dump station). It is a state park so you feel like you are camping in the woods, but you are close to NOLA. We haven't been there since Katrina, but the website indicates they are open.

aggies09
09-13-2010, 09:52 PM
We stayed in the French Quarter RV Resort this past spring and found several types of RV's present. Including 5th wheels. Good luck.

LarryB
09-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for ALL the input. I have to go back and see where I got it that the FQ RV Park was Class A only. That is great that it will take Fifth Wheels as we wanted to stay there.
Thanks for the report on Pontchartrain Landing, The web site only shows what they want one to see, of course--they omit the negative.

ajducote
09-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Larry,

We are at Bayou Segnette State Park right now. It is not a bad place. 50 AMP elec and water at the sites, but only 1 dump station. The place is almost empty. Lots of space between sites. But if you come here make sure and use these instructions.
http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ibyusegne.aspx
From I-10, take I-310 south. Cross the Luling Bridge over the Mississippi River, and exit US 90 east (toward New Orleans). US 90 becomes the Westbank Expressway. As you enter Westwego, look to your right.

DO NOT USE this route, the Huey P.Long bridge is being rebuilt and is a mess.
From I-10 in Metairie, take the Clearviw exit south. Follow Clearview over the Huey P.Long Bridge, to the Westbank Expressway (Business US 90). Again, look to your right off the expressway.

The only bad thing I have heard as a "rumor" is that the Park Rangers love to give out speeding tickets for going over 15 MPH. They have radar in thier trucks!

LarryB
09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Andre, thanks for the advice--enjoy your stay.