PDA

View Full Version : Blankets for Soldiers POG 9

Ray Davis
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
This year at Kerrville we will be again (as last year), making blankets for wounded soldiers. These blankets will be collected by Linda Ferrara of "Blankets for Soldiers", and ultimately distributed in Landstuhl Germany via "Soldier's Angels", where wounded soldiers are sent when injuries are too serious to handle in the field.

We did this last year, completing 25 blankets, and Blankets for Soldiers and Soldiers Angels were thrilled with what we accomplished.

A couple of important things.

1. Linda Ferrara has fronted the cost herself for the 25 blankets. The materials run $25 per blanket, which she purchases at wholesale markets in Los Angeles. It would be wonderful if we could cover the cost of the blankets with donations. If you're not able to attend, and would like to donate, let me know.

2. If you have sharp sewing scissors, please bring them. Other than that, no special talents or tools are required.

I hope you are all able to participate in this blanket party again this year. For fun, I've attached a picture from last year.

Ray

merle&louise
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Who do we make the check payable to and what address do we send it to?

bonhall41
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Can I give you the donation in Kerrville or would you rather have it before? Thanks for taking care of this again.

Bonnie

hobobimmer
09-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I have no sewing skills and was very unsure last year about helping with the blankets. For any of you who are having similar thoughts this year, erase those thoughts and jump right in. It was a lot of fun! Yes, you have the skills necessary to help. Plus it was really neat to see how many blankets we made in such a short amount of time. Thanks, Kathy, for organizing this again! Debbie Faires

mike kerley
09-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Ray, Great cause. Who do we make the check out to and where do we send it. We cannot make the rally, but we can help with the blankets!

Mike and Karen

LarryB
09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I am a little unclear as to what we need to help with this project....just scissors? I am a quilter, so have lots of fabric if that is needed. Teddy Beer (Larry)

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Looking forward to helping with this again!! I truly enjoyed doing it (I hate sewing and don't do it).This was alot of fun with experts there to tell you where to cut or just line up pieces of material. Most of all, you get to meet others on a more personal basis and then, what more than to have the feeling of helping our soldiers!! God Bless and watch over them!!
Sandy

Ray Davis
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
HI All,

Sorry for the delay in answering. Flu bug put me in the hospital for a couple of days.
1. Make checks to "Linda Ferrara - Blankets for Soldiers". If you are going to be at Kerrville, I will be happy to collect them there. If not, send to my home address 21052 Paseo Vereda, Lake Forest, CA 92630. I will bundle everything up and send it in together, the blankets and donations.

2. For this particular project, only scissors are needed. Essentially the sides of fleece blanket material is cut into strips, and then a hole cut to tie back through. This is done around the 4 sides, and ties the top and bottom fabrics together.

3. Teddy, make sure that my wife (Kathy) and you connect. She is also an avid quiter.

We look forward to seeing everyone at Kerrville!

Ray

charlesebrownjr
09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I will bring my check to Kerrville. Thanks

Ray Davis
09-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I've just learned that checks should be made out to "Linda Ferrara - Blankets for Soldiers"

Ray