PDA

View Full Version : XLII Windshield service??

GSwaim
09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
This will be my first Windshield replacement in my XLII for me but probably not my last. Heard a loud crack today going down I75 and when I retracted the blind a hundred miles later there was a big crack in the windshield. Anyone know pof a place inand around Knoxville, TN that does replacement windshields for XLIIs? If I can' get it done here then I'll be in Nashville around the 22nd of this month and Shreveport at the end of the month. I guess I could wait tuntil the POG rally out in Kerrville if someone knows of a good place around there to replace the glass. Let me know what I'm in for so I can get through this with the least heartache.

Gary Swaim

Kenneth Brewer
09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Gary,

There is Texas Custom Coach in Pipe Creek Texas that does this sort of work (including coach interior refurbishment, etc., and I have had experience with them removing and re-installing my Webasto (rebuilt by a factory authorized center), which I have not been able to really test since it is still hotter than the hinges of hell here, but they did a professional job re-installing it from a physical standpoint. They also earlier replaced a bad equalizer for me from stock. They say they can order in a windshield in a couple of days and to give them about 4 hours. I saw a number of replacement windows in crates while there, but they will need some particulars from you (I called to check). They are located a few miles west of Boerne, Texas (I-10 northwest of San Antonio. They always have a number of Prevosts in for work, as well as other units. 830-510-4224.

In any case, good luck.

Jerry Winchester
09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Gary,

Just make an appointment with Prevost in Nashville and stop there on your way to Kerrville. Sometimes they run specials on windshields, but I can tell you from having had three installed in the last 18 months that (1) they are not cheap and (2) you want someone who does this fairly often to install it. I would install one on an XL myself. I might install one on an XLII with a trusted helper, the right equipment and the knowledge I have from having seen several of them done. They make it look easy and most of all make sure they check it to see if it leaks.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
What Jerry said.

I am in the middle of a long stretch of good luck and I am waiting for the law of averages catch up to me. Our windshields are almost vertical so any impact from stones or debris kicked up by passing cars is a direct hit, and does not glance off like would happen in our cars. As a result if we are lucky we get a star that can be fixed to minimize the risk of it turning into a crack. But once a crack starts the windshield has to be replaced.

I have averaged 20,000 miles per windshield, more since we moved to TN from NY. In NY road maintenance is to spread wet tar on the road and follow that with loose small stone. Oncoming cars then kick up the loose stones, which eventually all get knocked to the shoulder, but in the meantime, if you are unlucky you get your front end chipped and your windshields broken.

Today the current coach has had about 70,000 miles put on it since I bought it and I have replaced three windshields, one of which already had a star in it. so I've been doing better than normal.

charlesebrownjr
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I bought a windshield at Prevost Nashville for $219.00 in July. (Windshield only) Labor $89.00. Oct. of o9.

GSwaim
09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks all for the leads on windshield replacement. When I call for a replacement windshield do I have to explain that the upper portion of the glass is blacked out or is this standard enough that they will know by telling them the year and converter? Do different converters use different windshields?

Kenneth Brewer
09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Ask them, and give them all the info you have on yours.

Jerry Winchester
09-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Just tell them the VIN number (if you are calling Prevost) and they will sort it out. They put the blacked out part on before they install the windshield, so they use the old one as a template.