PDA

View Full Version : Normal Temp Ranges - 8V-92

Will Garner
09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
For those of us with the 8v-92 I have attached a sheet from my Owners Manual. It lists normal operating temperature ranges for gauges on the dash panel layout. I recall there being a discussion about this some time ago. It did not reach a conclusion other than someone needs to check with Detroit Diesel and Allison Transmissions. Well this attachment has answered all my questions. I think I'm going in for radiator service this winter as my engine temps have been rising above the mid point of the range.

Use it for what it is worth.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Will,

170 is too cool. I saw normal temps cycle between 180 and 190 which would have been influenced by radiator shutters or the engine thermostat. The engine is more efficient at slightly higher temps and I think the installed thermostats are rated higher than 170.

With the very warm temps we have had this summer I would expect to see a small increase in temps. The key to knowing the radiator is becoming plugged is if you pull a long hill on a very hot day and the temps do not stabilize, but continue to climb, even if slowly. The long hill between VA and NC on I-77 I would pull and the temps would stabilize at 195. As the radiator became less efficient, due to both blockage and corrosion of the fins it would stabilize at 200 then 205 at which point I had it recored.

Another factor is Prevost had an issue with their design and somewhere in the early nineties, just prior to the Series 60 I think they made some modifications to help the cooling system air flow. If I recall the coach was a contributing factor and the radiator was not the cause in all instances. The RH curb side engine door had its vent openings increased significantly and the rear doors gained slots across the top to help.

I am not certain, but I was told the full width rear flaps at the rear bumper was a contributor because it minimized the exhausting of air pulled through the radiator and this was why Prevost opened up the side door slots and added the rear door slots.

truk4u
09-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Will,

Mine ran between 170 and 180 and like Jon said, it never got beyond 195 in the hot summer pulling hard like Jelico or Mount Eagle with pyro's under 1000. I always geared it down and didn't have to use full throttle, but that's just the way I have always done things and that won't set well with the pedal to the floor crowd.

PLSNTVLE2
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
2001 what????
I know you and the king have a secret stake in a new coach business that will support CC. Let's see some pictures.....

Jon Wehrenberg
09-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Truk has apparently found someone who pays attention. Good catch Terry.

The dynamic duo are likely racing to the Acme store as we speak. When they are silent you know something is up.

truk4u
09-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Terry,

Picture of the plastic machine coming soon.

Nice write up in that article about you and Kris...