PDA

View Full Version : Prevost Level 1,2 or 3 Lube and Service

GDeen
08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Can anyone give me the summary of Prevost's level 1, 2 or 3 oil change and lube/maintenance service? I know I have seen it discussed here but for some reason cannot locate it now. Have to have a bearing replaced and I am due for an oil change so will probably schedule it all at Prevost. My guess is the level 1 is an in and out oil and filter change. Curious about the next 2 levels.

Also searched on their site but no joy there. I was on hold today with Prevost longer than I could tolerate trying to get the answer, and got sidetracked and never called back.

Thanks in advance.....any commentary on the service itself is also appreciated.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Gordon, I have no clue but suspect Prevost has the three options detailed, possibly on their site. Your post does bring up something that I thought about as I read your post. I suffer from CRS. So the only way for me to survive is post-its and log books for my vehicles.

On my vintage the Prevost lube schedule is the control. It has the shortest mileage and time interval so at that time I do a lube, oil change, all filters, and a full inspection including hubs, differential, coolant lines and clamps, brake pad or shoe thickness, disk or drum cracks, chafing of hoses or wiring, etc. As long as the hubs and differential are full I don't do a bearing inspection. My point is after I do my maintenance, which includes the generator if due, house AC filters if due, OTR filters if due, etc. I log it and on the log sheet reflect the next due date. Typically I maintain that running tally so when coolant changes, or differential or transmission fluid changes or a myriad of othere items are due I have that recorded on the next log sheet.

The bus has so many varied and staggered items because some are time sensitive (tires and batteries and coolant) and others are mileage sensitive (oil, filters, lube, etc.) that without some form to trigger the maintenance event I have no clue when I did something, and when something else is due. Without a formal way to track stuff maintenance becomes hit or miss, and the stuff that's missed could prove important.

Trendycat
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Gordon,

I had a Level 1 service done on my Wanderlodge (Detroit Diesel Series 60) at Prevost Fort Worth in February. I'm having trouble pasting in the details from the bill here, so PM me if you want full details but basically it lists:

Change Engine Oil & Filters, Change fuel filters, Check coolant level and coolant (PH, etc). Inspect engine air filter, inspect engine main belts, inspect wheel seals. Grease driveline u-joints, grease tie rods, grease kingpins.

Cost $397.48 + tax

I had already had a differential ($271) and transmission oil change (Transynd $502) done the month before when I was in for other issues. If I remember correctly, those items were part of a Level 2 service (which may include some other items, as well)

Bruce

dmatz
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
I do not have a copy with me. However when I was at prevost in nj they gave me a copy with all ten details on it. If you call the cEnter you want to use I am sure they will fax or email it to you. Had to due recommendations based on millage and or time. As an example a tifreeze was 2 years.

garyde
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
If you list everything you want them to do or look at, they will tell you what Service type that would be. Also, if you know how many miles and/or years it has been since you last replaced your coolant, transmission oil, drive train oil, air filters, brake check and so on, it will help. Also, make sure they do a thorough inspection and stay with them.

GDeen
08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
All good points - thanks. Have done some of the major stuff since we didn't have great records, eg a switchover to Transynd. Also had the bus on the lifts and walked around with them on a visual several months ago.

Probably a good time to pull out Jon's sheet and just see what should be checked and go through that with them and as you say Gary, figure out which "level" that is.

rahangman
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Gordon, if anything was done at Prevost Centers (my limited experience), that Center will have the complete history of what/when it was done as well as outcome. I think they do this to provide info in case of problems with what they have done, sort of a CYA.

dmatz
09-08-2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.prevostcar.com/DB/services/maintenance/XL2%20Lubrication%20Schedule.pdf

This is the link to the prevost service interval recommendations.

GDeen
09-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I am in the FW center right now and am having a "level 2" plus C/O of the differential fluid. Went over the list with Ryan this morning of each, and a lot of what the difference between the 2 and 3 have been taken care of.

This place is a ghost town compared to when I was through here in April. Got in at near midnight expecting to be in the back of the lot on the generator over night, but hookup spots available right up front. They are busy, but it just isn't jammed up like the last couple of trips through.

Ray Davis
09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Did we ever learn was is included in level 1, 2 or 3 service?

GDeen
09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Ray,
They had a printout that detailed each. I should have requested a copy but didn't. Will send them an email requesting a copy and post it to this thread. Good point.