PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne Fuel Additive

jimshoen
08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Is anyone have experience with Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive?
It was recommended to me by another coach owner?
Thanks

Jon Wehrenberg
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm a coach owner. What if I don't recommend it, Jim?

What is it, what does it do, and how are the claims supported? Finally, what does Detroit Diesel think about it?

JIM KELLER
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Jim, I guess you can see you don't have to ask Jon about his opinion on additives ! He and I discussed the topic one time and I gave up. He asked how I knew the product did what it said. I told him " Because the bottle said so. "

Jon Wehrenberg
08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
My reasons for being a skeptic are simple.

Any product that is used for automotive or truck puposes is made to standards. Our engine oil, coolant, fuel, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc. The components those products are used in such as the engines or transmissions were built and tested and the engineers specified the use of products that are certified to specific standards. We see the specifications on everything from our engine oil, to coolant, to transmission fluids. The engineers did not specify the products to be used by looking up their names in the phone book, but actually tested the engines, transmissions, etc using products made to those standards.

So when a company comes along and says they have a product that will do this or that I have two things I want to see. First I want to see the standard to which the product is made, tested and certified. I will compare that with what the engineers specify for my bus. Then I want to see evidence the product not only doesn't hurt my bus, but that it actually does what it says it does.

The cynic in me has a real problem believing some guy mixing chemicals in his garage or even his large modern factory has created a product that is better than anything Shell or Mobil, or any other large sophisticated company can develop, and second that has the blessing of Detroit Diesel. If any product can increase the life of my engine, ward off internal corrosion, fight algae, and grow hair I'm all for it, as long as people who are experts such as the standards writiers or Detroit Diesel engineers say it is alright. If they did however, then Jim S would not have asked the question.

jimshoen
08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Actually, I do not have an opinion about fuel additive and have never used it.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I know you do not have an opinion on it otherwise you wouldn't have asked. I do get a kick out of folks who recommend the siver bullet type stuff.

Jim, what is U-Haul's procedure for recommending products for its dealers to use? With such a large fleet you obviously cannot risk potential damage, nor justify spending the money for a product that won't perform.

BoaterAl
08-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Jim and Jon,
I found a article which was posted on the Country Coach web site early this year when they got into a major "brew-ha" about Marvel Mystery oil. Six (6) pages titled Diesel additive study with rankings. The focus is the benefit of supplements and rankings best to worst. Jim, Stanadyne is listed there. I have it printed out which I saved for reference, but better yet was able to get it back on my e-mail. If you would send me your e-mail address I can forward the study that way. There probably a better way to post it so cut me little slack on computer expertise, thanks.
Jon, this is probably right down your alley as..purpose, history,content,method,blind study,results.order of performance. Homework tonight, best regards...AL

jimshoen
08-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Jon, we are out of the diesel business now. However, the only additive we used was for fuel gelling in cold weather operations.
Any product we recommend has to be approved by our in house engineers etc. No additives in our fleet.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I went to the Standayne site and their additive IS APPROVED by diesel engine manufacturers. Among its claims is it prevents gelling so if you are going into cold weather it may have a benefit.

However, can anyone guess which engine manufacturer is absent from the list of those engine manufacturers which approve its use???????

Kenneth Brewer
08-30-2010, 09:26 PM
My reasons for being a skeptic are simple.

Any product that is used for automotive or truck puposes is made to standards. Our engine oil, coolant, fuel, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc. The components those products are used in such as the engines or transmissions were built and tested and the engineers specified the use of products that are certified to specific standards. We see the specifications on everything from our engine oil, to coolant, to transmission fluids. The engineers did not specify the products to be used by looking up their names in the phone book, but actually tested the engines, transmissions, etc using products made to those standards.

So when a company comes along and says they have a product that will do this or that I have two things I want to see. First I want to see the standard to which the product is made, tested and certified. I will compare that with what the engineers specify for my bus. Then I want to see evidence the product not only doesn't hurt my bus, but that it actually does what it says it does.

The cynic in me has a real problem believing some guy mixing chemicals in his garage or even his large modern factory has created a product that is better than anything Shell or Mobil, or any other large sophisticated company can develop, and second that has the blessing of Detroit Diesel. If any product can increase the life of my engine, ward off internal corrosion, fight algae, and grow hair I'm all for it, as long as people who are experts such as the standards writiers or Detroit Diesel engineers say it is alright. If they did however, then Jim S would not have asked the question.

Thank you. This cannot be stressed enough, obviously. A product cannot be labeled as 'good stuff' that works, without testing and comparison. That takes time, effort, recognized and understood test methods, repeatable and documented results, and a basis (a known, agreed, and applicable standard). Anecdotal endorsements are worth nothing without establishment of exactly what the question was. This is why engine manufacturers will approve only what they have tested (or have independent labs test for them), because the bottom line is money, litigation, and reputation. Aside from that, the differences between manufacturer approvals often has to do with metallurgy (compatibility), and other (approved) fluids that may come in contact as well. My unsolicited two cents.

I am glad Jon has repeatedly pointed this out. Address all incoming to him.

BoaterAl
08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
If any POG member wants a copy of the diesel fuel additive study send me your e-mail address and I'll forward a copy.
AL

Sid Tuls
08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
If any POG member wants a copy of the diesel fuel additive study send me your e-mail address and I'll forward a copy.
AL

I sure would like one sidtuls@yahoo.com Thanks

Bill Price
08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I to would like the additive information.

Thanks

rahangman
08-31-2010, 11:18 AM
I would like to read it also, got time on hand, so might as well read something that may help me in the future. rahangman@yahoo.com if you please.

michaeldterry
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
AL

Al - please add me to the distribution! michael_terry@comcast.net Thank you!