PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Mercedes Benz G500

Devin W
08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
2003 Mercedes Benz G500 ***SOLD***

Coloradobus
08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Devon, Did you know the G-500 has a transfer neutral? As you said, it is a military vehicle. I talked "withiin" the Service dept of Mercedes Benz of Westminster and they went into an internal database, to show there is a :"transfer neutral" in case the military wanted to tow one. Glenda, one of the Engineers at Roadmaster was willing to send a tech out to the Porland Oregon Merc dealer to see if it was possible for them to build a baseplate.
We didn't go thru with it, since the G in question ended up having questionable background so we bought a LX-470 instead.

Devin W
08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I knew this, but I'm a little concerned about possible lubrication issues, etc and not having any official backing by MB. The owner's manual stipulates that when flat towed it should be done at no more than 30mph and only for short distances. One of my good friends is a 20 year MB tech and he couldn't really pinpoint why it couldn't be flat towed for greater distances at highway speeds, but seemed less than confident about recommending it. That being said -- a Suburban or Yukon XL can be towed w/o a key in the ignition, won't register towed miles, has brackets and MG brake adapters already made for it, and I can easily increase the tongue weight capacity, so for now it looks like that is the direction I'll be taking. The G definitely is more truck than most SUV's these days, though. Thanks for the info.

Coloradobus
08-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Great. We have towed our Chevy 4X4 Duramx with flawless success. Only one nagging problem, which behind a 45'er, we were too long in Ca and all of Canada. But now with a 40, we could tow it without looking over the shoulder, but use my LX-470 instead. We leave the Duramax for towing the Airstreams.