PDA

View Full Version : Amana refrig takes a dive

BoaterAl
08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
While at Sturgis SD the Amana side by side decided to stop working. Just a click and couple of minutes later and another click. Wednesday on the phone Amana recommends several repair services back in KC. Friday appointment anytime between 2:00 thru 4:30 guy shows up at 4:15. I have spoke to Marathon and found out it's not complicated to remove the frig from the hole. So several hours and we are able to roll out. I think more time was spent on building protection on the walls as just in case makes sense to me if something slips. The Murphy Law Rule. This tech listens and with no other testing other then watching the interior light dim and brighten says you need a new compressor. OMG ...how can a refrig quit in 5 years. I come from turning them on and 20 years later maybe trouble. $625-700 marbles to repair. I tell him I'll let him know.
Back at home I call my buddy in town who owns way to many apartment buildings. He gives me his appliance repair guy who comes out on Sat afternoon. He at least takes off the back panel and says he can fix it. It needs a new start/stop relay that is attached to the compressor. He has the part on his truck as it is very common failure, service time line is about right. Replaced relay cost $20.00 plus $65.00 service call. Refig fires right up and works perfect. The relays fail because of heat hardens all the pieces, shake the old one and it rattles.
Way to long story but that little voice inside says get a second opinion ....we best listen.
AL
2005 Marathon XLII with cold beer again.... ice chest back in bay where it belongs.

merle&louise
08-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Al,

Thanks for a good post. Since we all have that same Amana your advice will likely come in handy.

A refrigerator is one of those things that you HAVE TO HAVE when you're on the road. I am going to
order a start/stop relay and put it in my spare parts drawer - just in case.