PDA

View Full Version : combo vs. stacker

treedoc
08-22-2010, 06:26 AM
I am interest on everyones comments on your experence with w/ds. Have you found combos really useful or more of a use it once in a while in a pinch type appliance? I've seen alot of nice 40 footers for sale but none with stackers. So a 45 may be the way to go if stackers end up on the must have list. We plan on using the coach 3 to 4 months each year. Thanks for your input. Rick

Charles Spera
08-22-2010, 07:36 AM
We have a 40' (although Jon thinks it is a 41') and it is fitted with a combo washer/dryer. We like it for our use but do use the RV resort wash facility for the big loads. Barb's delicates always seem to get done in the coach but my stuff goes to the clubhouse.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-22-2010, 08:10 AM
We'll need to have a gentlman's bet on the length of your bus Chuck.

We had a combo in our first bus and have Kenmore stackers currently. From my wife's point of view it is no contest. She will never again have a combo. It took too long to dry clothes, the loads were too small, and she could not be washing a load while drying a load. From my perspective the combo was a maintenance disaster. The motor had to be replaced the cycle timer had to be replaced and generally speaking I had to fix things on it a lot compared to how often it got used. The stack type thus far has been bullet proof.

ajducote
08-22-2010, 08:31 AM
We have a stacker washer/dryer now. In the past we had a combo. The difference is like night and day. We do all our laundry on the bus in the stacker and have never had to use the campground laundry. We have been on the road for 4 months and having the stacker w/d has made doing laundry a LOT easier.

michaeldterry
08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I agree with both Jon and Andre's comments. We have a Splendide combo w/d in Evangeline and I'd like nothing more than to replace it with a stacked w/d! The current combo unit would make an excellent boat anchor! I'm actually considering just removing the combo unit and converting the space to storage until I can afford to replace it.

treedoc
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your comments. You confimed what I was all ready thinking. Have any of you done laundry while traveling down the road? I presume the generator will need to be running.

GDeen
08-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I heard a combo dryer unit described as a de-humidifier, which accurately defines the function of one in a rental unit we once used...

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your comments. You confirmed what I was all ready thinking. Have any of you done laundry while traveling down the road? I presume the generator will need to be running.

We have separate washer and dryer and like it that way.

You could certainly run along and do laundry but remember it uses a great deal of WATER and HOLDING TANK SPACE. The laundry is best done at a full hook up campsite.

Whichever of you that does the laundry should be the one that chooses what you have for the facility.

It is important to think about the kind of camping you will be doing, boondocking, full hook up and everything in between.

If you have your own site where you stay for months on end or if you are always driving and water is at a premium.

Even though you can do your own laundry it is often better to save it up and use many machines at a laundry to get the job done in the same time it takes for one load in the bus.

JIM:)

Jon Wehrenberg
08-22-2010, 12:18 PM
We have done laundry while on the road and yes we ran the generator.

Doing laundry while driving seems counter-intuitive but if you are going from campground to campground it really doesn't matter if you use a lot of water because you will be refilling that evening. It is a good use of time to do laundry while driving instead of using time when you could be out and about.

Contrary to what Jim says my wife avoids using public laundry machines because she is unsure what has been in them before she uses them.

Alek&Lucia
08-22-2010, 02:10 PM
:cool:

We also have a stacker, and like to do laundry while on the road.
Doing that way also cleans your gray water tank at the same time,

Alek

BoaterAl
08-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Aside from doing laundry on the road in the bus there are a few memories of the college days at the laundry-mat. And thats where meeting chics was a possibility. Sometimes while going to get some refreshment.... while of course were waiting for the machine to finish. well so much for getting the laundry done. Oh the good old days !
This has absolutely nothing to do with fixing the bus.
AL
2005 Marathon XL II

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
08-22-2010, 03:50 PM
We just put in our XLII Royale, Maytag washer and dryer. They are separate pieces, but we stacked them. They are both front loaders and the washer uses very little water. I love them!!!! Yes, they are both Energy Star efficient, also.
Sandy

george frudakis
08-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I am planning to put in stack unite where my combo unit is located in my 97 liberty. What unites are the best and will fit in the alloted space? Any other requirement? What should the cost be having them installed? I agree having to go to a public laundry is not what i prefer.

Jeff Bayley
08-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Like some I too have had both. Correct that. I have both right now. I have a combo unit on my Angola and a stacker on my Royale. Every inch of space is more important to me than the convenience of the stacker washer and dryer. personally, I would rather have the extra space. (this is my attempt at making a short post)

Kenneth Brewer
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
We have a stacker washer/dryer now. In the past we had a combo. The difference is like night and day. We do all our laundry on the bus in the stacker and have never had to use the campground laundry.

This is our experience as well, and combined with Jon's reply concerning the ability to wash & dry at the same time, we would not consider a combo. However, in either case, I think it will become necessary to periodically blow (clean) out the dryer exhaust ducting to the outside (in our coach it is to the bottom of the coach). One further comment; the separate dryer should be a 240VAC unit rather than 120, in my opinion.

Devin W
08-23-2010, 11:34 AM
We have a combo W/D right now and we're satisfied with how it washes, but I could get things dry faster by wringing them out and wearing them. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy a dryer and stack them myself -- the combo then becomes a dedicated washer? It seems like even if I managed to sell my combo, this could still save me $500.

CCMH
10-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Jon,
Christine and I are going to be putting in a stackable washer and dryer.... where did you vent the dryer to the outside? Would love to know... Thanks!

Curtis

Sid Tuls
10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Mine is vented to the bottom of my bus. So I guess is straight down. It sure makes it nice not having to cut an extra hole on the side of your bus,

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
10-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello Curtis. On our 97 royale, our combo was NOT vented because it was a condensor dryer. You just had to make sure there was a window open or the vent fan going.
On our '01 Royale the combo was vented down under bus. We replaced it with separate units and stacked them Maytags. Both front loaders & apartment sizes. LOVE THEM!! Work great!
Sandy
Dryer is 240v

Jon Wehrenberg
10-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Jon,
Christine and I are going to be putting in a stackable washer and dryer.... where did you vent the dryer to the outside? Would love to know... Thanks!

Curtis

Both our coaches had the dryers vented to the outside. How it is routed is dependent upon where the dryer is located, with both of mine exhausting beneath the coach. My current coach uses a Kenmore and the lint trap at the rear of the dryer has a foam block inserted in it when not in use to prevent outside air or dust and dirt from traveling getting into the dryer. It has to be removed prior to using the dryer.

merle&louise
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Having a heating issue with my Kenmore stacked dryer. The heating element will not energize; the barrel tumbles but no heat!

I tried flipping the c.b. but no luck. The air coming out of the dryer vent outside is cool not hot.

Has anyone else had this problem?

garyde
09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
If you have 240 volt at the Dryer, than it is a relay of element issue.

merle&louise
09-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Gary,

Would I check with a volt meter at the outlet where the dryer is plugged into to see if there is 240 volts? Or would I check where the grey electric cord connects to the dryer itself?

What does the relay look like?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
I doubt if the dryer is 240 volts but it could be. Ours is a Kenmore and it is on a 120V circuit. Any way to access the inside of the unit to check the heating element for continuity?

RussWhite
09-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Tuga - You are probably going to have to get at the back of the dryer. I have the parts lists, but since it is probably Kenmore that should be available online too. In all my documentation there is not a schematic, but I suspect you will find that on the back panel. Reasonably sure yours is 220vac like mine. My wild guess is the heating element. Good luck and let me know if you need a part number or any documents scanned. Russ '99 Newell