PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC/ Virginia area

grantracy
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Going to be in DC area next week, can anyone recommend a campground in the northern virginia area?
Staying at Cherry Hill in Md. for a night.

jj628
08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
We've used Lake Fairfax Park in Fairfax near Reston, VA and Harpers Ferry KOA in WV. Liked Lake Fairfax the best. jjf

Gary Carmichael
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Granvil, I am trying to find a place in Maryland close to Easton where is Cherry hill?

Will Garner
08-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Gary, Cherry Hill is just outside the Capital Beltway on the NE side of DC. Easton, if I recall my 8th grade Maryland geography class, is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There may be some POGGERS that could "hook you up for a couple of days. They might even take you crabbing for blues! Send a PM to Miles Circo.

Gary Carmichael
08-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Will, Thank you for the info I got worried that I would lose out all around and made reservations at Holiday Inn. I know bummer but I have a display and table at the Vintiagers at Pintail Point, hard to get and could not risk losing it .

MangoMike
08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
To my knowledge there are no CG's near Easton as I've tried to find one, even w/ Miles help. Bummer.

In No. Va. there is a KOA we stay at a lot in Fredericksburg which is about 45 minutes south of Alexandria.
540 898-7252

MIke

Gary Carmichael
08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Mike I have stayed at Holiday Park which is in Greensboro Maryland but to many trees for the H3. It is a ok place just don't want to scratch er up you know. Greensboro is 30miles from Pintail.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Just a note of information here. Ed and I just stayed on base at Ft. Meade, MD. It is half way between Baltimore and D.C. Exact location is Laurel, MD. The base campground is newly remodeled and very spacious for 45's and H's. Cement spaces with large patios. If you are a veteran and have proof... you can stay at military campgrounds. This CG was very busy and booked. Thank goodness we had made some reservations. $135.00 Total for 1 week full hookup.(Sorry no cable, yet). Very nice!!Cheaper than staying at a Prevost shop!! Ha!!had to say that.
Sandy

truk4u
08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Sandy,

I am a Vet with a Veterans Card and have been told the campgrounds only allow retired and active personnel access. I would love to stay at the base campgrounds, but can't get access.

ajducote
08-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Sandy & Truk,

This is what the web site says for Ft Meade Fam Camp:

Authorized Users Active, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV. DoD Civilians.

Most Military Fam Camps have similar rules. I have not run into one yet that lets "Veterans" use the facility, that do not meet the above requirements.

There are a few that will allow a "Authorized User" sign in others. I did a rally once and signed in 20 other coaches. I had to sign away my life vouching for them all.

Ray Davis
08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
That would be great if they let veterans in. Only place I know of that has "extended" the rules is the Round Pond camp, outside of West Point. Many parents of cadets stay there at various times, including graduation week.

Ray

grantracy
08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
I found a Lake Fairfax campground which looks to be close to DC, anybody stayed there? Also going to be in Richmond area if anybody has any recommendations.

ajducote
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Granvil,

We have stayed at Lake Fairfax. It is ok. The location works good for us, our grandson is close to Lake Fairfax. It is very close to the DC Beltway and the Dulles Toll Road. It is electric only, there is a dump station and water available next to the rest rooms. There are not many choices in the DC area. It is a a little expensive for what you get. But nothing in the DC area is cheap.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Oops... I gave bad info (not meaning to). Ed is active Coast Guard Aux and I assumed we were allowed to stay there due to"Veteran" status. I do know that it was cheaper than my daughter and son-in-law sponsoring us to stay there.
Sorry everyone!!1
Sandy