PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Trouble

fixrim
08-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a 2003 XLII and the radiator is literally disintegrating in it. Pieces of red metal falling off of it. No leaks, bus cools ok but now overheats going up hills with my stacker (home built all aluminum stacker to keep weight down, haul a race car and street car, total stacker weight about 12,000 lbs).

In any event, I need a new radiator. I got a quote at a Detroit diesel shop and they wanted about $4000.00, which seemed a little insane. Anyone seen this and does anyone know where I can solurce a decent radiator for a realistic price?

PS: As an aside, I used to race constantly, logging 50k miles per year in my race car hauler. We "retired" from racing and now use our bus to do a little racing, a little vacation, a little go karting, a little of everything. Now we log 30k+ per year, when I had anticipated less than 10k per year. My wife and kids LOVE this bus! Kudos to Prevost, and thanks all in advance for any advice...

gmcbuffalo
08-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Bob what about calling around radiator shops for a repair/\? New Cap and Bottom and rodded core. Should be able to find something local, at least call and get prices. Maybe 4K is not far off.
GregM

rahangman
08-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Bob, recently had a quote from Diesel Radiator of Chicago for a new core for my 8V92T....less than $2000.00 ! Try calling their salesrep, Dale Hohler-419-239-6447...good luck.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Bob, This is a general comment. The flaking you describe is likely from running the coach at some point in its life in the rust belt or it spending a lot of time near the shore. I had to replace a radiator on my first bus because the fins literally disintegrated as you describe.

When the radiator is removed it can be recored. If you check around in your area (call charter bus companies) to see who most folks use for radiator work you are likely to get the name of a shop that will rebuild your radiator. That proved to be the least expensive option for me.

If you opt to not do the work yourself you may also come across a charter company or a truck repair shop that will do the remove and replace for you. My replacement was on a 40 foot XL with the 8V92 so I cannot give your specifics for your coach.

travelite
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I recently paid $3000 for a new radiator core. I removed the radiator myself, called The Cooling Center in Charlotte NC, they picked it up, recored it, and dropped it off. These are bolt together radiators. Any competent radiator shop can bolt your old tanks to a new core and pressure test. I went with a slightly larger core, 7 row instead of 6. Copper-brass is still the industry standard. While the shop was waiting for the core, I picked up the end plates and the tanks and had them powder coated.

fixrim
08-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks all, I called today and got a quote of $1800... how long does it take to remove?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-17-2010, 07:10 AM
If you have your pit crew change it out it should take 12.9 seconds.

On my old XL removal was a little over an hour. I only had radiator shutters to deal with. Newer coaches have the intercooler and an oil cooler that have to be dealt with.