PDA

View Full Version : OTR Chassis Mount Leaking

ToyMan
08-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Noticed a small puddle of fluid (about half of a cup) directly under the OTR compressor. Removed the stainless steel belt guard and noticed that the belt tensioner bladder was leaking fluid. I pressed down on the compressor and fluid was bubbling between the bladder and the steel mount.

I assume these bladders are air controlled. How did fluid get in it?

I am totally stumped.

Help!

Below is a picture.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
OMG Ron, what a mess, clean that up. Ha, Ha just kidding:p, Hey I don't think the fluid is coming from the bellows, I think you have a AC input shaft seal leak and the fluid you see is oil from the compressor.

I have the same leak and the seal kit (from Prevost), but have done nothing about it yet.

JIM:)

ToyMan
08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Jim,

Do you have a part number for the kit?

I looked all around the shaft and could not see any leaks. The sight glass shows that the oil level is good. I realize now that the oil is not coming from the bellows.

I cleaned all the oil off the area so maybe I can spot the leak.

Ron

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Any AC technician qualified to work on the big Carrier Compressors can replace the seal. It is a two hour job. Look for a Carrier truck / trailer refrigeration shop and they can do that in no time and they all have the seals in stock.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Jim,

Do you have a part number for the kit?

I looked all around the shaft and could not see any leaks. The sight glass shows that the oil level is good. I realize now that the oil is not coming from the bellows.

I cleaned all the oil off the area so maybe I can spot the leak.

Ron

Ron, for my year coach the number from Prevost is, 950407 $97.00./

I also bought a filter drier as a might as well Prevost number 950231 $56.35.

An individual can remove the old and install the new with a steady hand and two long thin screw drivers.

The catch is everything else in the system must be checked out before you start to use the OTR without concern/worry that it is functioning properly, ie. Compressor oil level sufficient refrigerant in the system and a system without other leaks.

JIM:)