PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitoring System

lrh
08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a Doran Tire Pressure Monitoring system that I used on my last motorhome and I would like to use it on the Marathon.

Has anyone ever used a Doran system on their coach and if so, how did it work? Did you need the antenna extension?

I also noticed that the sensor will not fit on the outside dual. The outside dual valve stems faces into the wheel hole which is too small for the sensor. Can I just rotate this stem around to face out?

Thanks,
Killeen

lrh
08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Looks like Doran is not the people's choice. What is everyone else using?

Thanks,
Killeen

ajducote
08-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Killeen,

I have a Doran system. I do need the antenna extension. I have had my share of issues with it. I have Equal in my tires and do not have the correct valve stems, the ones with screens in them. So I ended up removing all the sensors from the bus tires due to constant false alarms. When I get new tires in the near future I wil get the correct valve stems or use Centramatic balancers. The sensors do work on my tow car just fine.

gmcbuffalo
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
irh
I have turned the outside dual valve stem so it is accessable for my sensors . if this is wrong someone speak up.
GregM

jack14r
08-11-2010, 05:14 AM
I think that the Doran is the same as the Pressure Pro,I have it on my coach,toad and a trailer,I would not leave home without it.I have found that the repeater is necessary for the rear tires and toad/trailer.

michaeldterry
08-11-2010, 07:41 AM
We have the Doran TPMS, but get fairly frequent sensor "dropouts" (losing signal to one of the sensors - not always the same one). I guess that means that I need to go back and add the repeater to strengthen the signal. Other than that, we've had no issues with the Doran system.

dreamchasers
08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I am another Pressure Pro user. Also, I have turned my tire valve stems like GMC Buffalo on the outside rear duals to accommodate access to the tire valve stem and sensor. I have a Doran repeater mounted in the rear closet, which has eliminated all false alarms.

I also use the Silverleaf system which reads the tire pressure also.

I used the system on a previous coach and reinstalled it on this bus.

I'll bet if you do a search on "pressure pro" on this forum you will see plenty of comments on this device.

I like it!

H

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Killeen, I really like my Doran system. It took me a little while to get it all monitoring correctly, but just love the piece of mind that all my tires are being monitored.

I had to add the Remote Signal Booster and that solved most of my issues. It plugs into 110v, and I was able to put it under the bed.

I did have to have a number of wheel sensors replaced ( defective new sensors ) before all sensors would register, but I just called Doran and they sent me new units. NOW all 12 wheels are monitored and LIFE IS GOOD. :o

I would not turn the valve stems on the wheels, a sure way to get a leak. Wait till you need the tire serviced to have them properly orientated for valve sensors to be put on. Just my opinion. :(

Gary S.

Gary Carmichael
08-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I personally like the smart tire system, sensors last five years or more no false readings, a little more cost to install and purchase but well worth it

Woody
11-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Any opinions or complaints on the "Hopkins" tire pressure monitoring system?

www.nvisionsafety.com/tpms

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2010, 04:36 PM
As the in-house curmudgeon I have to chime in. So far there does not appear to be a single best tire pressure monitoring system. My opinion only.

I have considerable reservations about any system that monitors pressures by putting a sensor type cap on the valve stems. Apart from issues accessing the inner drive tire to add pressure or replace the cap my strongest concern is you are relying on a single seal at the sensor cap. I used to use metal caps with a seal as a backup to the Schrader valves. They worked OK, but since I went to the valve caps that allow filling through them, and the double seal they provide I have never had my tires hold air so well. I just cannot convince myself to use a system that replaces that second valve stem seal.

The type with the band that mounts internally appears to address that but my concern there is the compatibility with Equal. I have used Equal with great success for about 18 years and I cannot find anything as good anywhere near the price. There is no doubt in my mind Balance Masters and Centrimatics will work well, but they are very expensive. The combined cost of the monitoring system and the Centrimatics will buy a couple of tires.

So I use Tattle Trail on the toad and hope it works. It appears it may work very well. The bus, I rely on tire pressure checks. Maybe someday I will have a change of heart, but for now I check my tires and hope for the best.

We have all heard stories about tire problems and how monitors saved the day. There is no doubt they are beneficial.

travelite
11-25-2010, 07:27 PM
I use PressurePro with Centramatics and Crossfires (wow is there anything else I can put on my wheels? Spinners maybe! lol), and have had great success.

charlesebrownjr
11-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I have the Smartire system and so far like it. Have only had it about three weeks and about 2500 miles. The only draw back I see so far is the fact that if you decide to change some of your tire pressures, you have to reprogram the system to the new pressure and that requires a programmer I don't have. Am going to see if I can buy one but have not had time to try to track one down. My 40 foot coach did not require a repeater. Have one antenna in the drive tire area and one between the front steers.

nrhareiner
11-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Good day,

I have used the smartire system for 4 years without any problems. If you have the instruction manual, it will tell you how yo change the pressures, and other factors without a programmer. All you need to use is the readout box. If you are using a Silverleaf display, then I would recommend contacting them for the process.

jack14r
11-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Woody,The Hopkins looks like the Pressure Pro Sensors,you can buy them from Costco online when you need more.

Gary Carmichael
11-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Charles you can get the programmer at Les Shwab in Junction City spelling might be wrong! if not I have one.

charlesebrownjr
11-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks all. I have now been told you can program anything you need with the display I have. Don't need the programmer.

rmboies
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
We have a Smart Tire monitoring system on our new ride. One of the sensors is bad and I have been told that Smart Tire is out of business. Does anyone know where I can find a new sensor?

Thanks
Bob

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Bob/Deb, I have the Smart Tire and have been assured by the selling agent, Les Schwab that the sensors will be available for the life of the product. Even though Bendix pulled the product from the RV market they will not let existing users holding the proverbial Bag.

You may want to contact Paul Kintigh at Les Schwab 1-800-257-8430.

This is a West Coast company so you could call now.

JIM :)

gmcbuffalo
03-11-2011, 04:33 AM
just a comment
I have Tire Guard system and was told by the Tech person that I should remove them from the tires when not using them. This save the battery life of the sensors. Apparently pressure turns them on.

I have had this system for a while now and when the batteries go out you have to buy new sensors. I was having problems receiving the signals so I took the unit to the company in Cerrittos, California and Steve the customer service tech told me about the battery life. The new sensors fixed the problem.