PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh/Sturgis

truk4u
10-22-2006, 09:51 AM
OK Pog's with Hog's and SOB's, I am thinking real hard about combining the 07 POG Oshkosh with Sturgis.:cool: Any takers.....

Oshkosh 7/31 - 8/11
Sturgis 8/6 - 8/12

Oshkosh to Sturgis - 809 miles

MangoMike
10-22-2006, 10:06 AM
TT,

I guess if I bring my Go-Ped Scooter to Sturgis I'll probably be laughed right out of town.

http://www.extremescooters.biz/images/gop-08_3.gif

MM

dalej
10-22-2006, 07:32 PM
We are leaning Tom, push harder! There are so many great rides in Wisconsin, it would be hard to leave...I'm listening

marchant
10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Pencil us in Tom, we would be interested in going.

Carl

Joe Cannarozzi
10-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Thats right in our back yard. We dont ride or fly but who cares! We would be up for that.

Chris and Debbie Yates
10-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Tommy Truck,

We are all over that idea, count us in.

AP

lewpopp
10-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Holy Mackeral, Lewster might even go to the air show.

garyde
10-23-2006, 12:18 AM
For those of us who don,t know much, please fill us in on what this is all about. I know of Sturgis , but not much , and nothing about Osh.

Chris and Debbie Yates
10-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Gary,

I know nothing about Osh but I go to Sturgis every year.
Sturgis is a small town in SD, most of the year it is a quiet sleepy town. However, during bike week it attracts up to 500,000 visitors (bikers).
It is a mix of normal:rolleyes: folks who enjoy motorcycles and a small number of hardcore bikers. I have been staying at Glencoe campground which offers tent camping and a separate area for motorhomes with full hookups. If you Google Glencoe campground you will see that it is expensive but they offer free big name concerts if you are into that sort of thing. Last year there were about 20 or 25 Prevosts at Glencoe but no Poggers from what I could tell.
If you are a motorcyclist Sturgis is a mecca, great roads to ride, fantastic views of the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands national park etc.
If you like gambling with a little history thrown in there is Deadwood.
There is also a nonstop party going on the whole time.

If you are not a biker the atmosphere may be a little much!
It's very noisy as you can imagine.
If you are easily offended by what people wear (or sometimes don't) it is not for you.
The whole Black Hills area is very congested with motorcycles.

So there you have it.
I will be there in the bus (1st time I will not have ridden the bike)
Seems like some of your POG bretheren may be also.
Hope to see you.

AP

truk4u
10-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Gary,
Oshkosh is the grand daddy of them all for aviation enthusiaiasts. You will never see anything like it if your into planes. Here is a link to take a look at:
http://www.airventure.org/

lewpopp
10-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Gary

Oshkosh is a place that you and I would be watching all of the "A" holes pointing up or over to a b-59-86 something that their neighbor flew until he missed the runway. Then your hear the head "A" hole (Jer) point to a flying machine that bales hay at 55 per minute and so forth.

Don't go unless you want to be with the good buddie of POG, but the sh-t you hear from the so called experts is just that. If you ask them if the take offs equal the landings, they look at you funny. Well, they look at you funny anyways.

Jerry is the only flyer that has flown a single engine non-stop from Houston to Dubai. He uses his bull to fuel the plane when the juice runs out. When he gets back from Dubai from putting fires out, he'll give you an eye full. He went there last week to start the fires. He's the the big taker of money from us thru Halliburton.

The guys at Oshkosh are not afraid of telling you how ignorant you are if you know nothing about dem flying machines.

Nuff said, I bashed my loved ones enough. I had nothing else to do tonight.

Lew

lewpopp
10-23-2006, 11:25 PM
I forgot to mention that I might be going because I think it is around the time that the FMCA rally is in Minn. and My wife has relatives in Wisconsin. Otherwise I would stay close to home. Sturgis is absolutely OUT.

Lew

Jon Wehrenberg
10-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Grumpy,

If you keep picking on the aviators here we are going to turn this site into a Prevost Pilots club, and we will pick on glider pilots from Elmira.

lewpopp
10-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Don't need fuel of any kind to fly my glider. Just the right thermals. Harris Hill has all of them.

Another reason to stop by on the way to a POG #? Perhaps on the way to Prevost in Quebec this next summer.

It was 54 this morning in Port St Lucie. A far cry from previous days of 90's.

Grumpy Lew Bucks

MangoMike
10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Gary,

OSH is very cool. If you're interested I have a great DVD on the highlights of OSH and would be glad to mail it to you. Just send me your address at mike@mangomikes.com.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
You know who will be there with these bad boys..........

And Lew was there last year. Here is the photo of him at the flight line.....

And we had the Halliburton guys make a sign up for Lew.......

And before I forget, to those at OSH, when you open this month's Sport Pilot magazine, you will notice a photo of Joe's wife watching JDUB rig up the tent at OSH. Nice two page'er.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Post it up Jerry, lets see it:confused:

lewpopp
10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
How come this airplane crap isn't in the proper area so us land lubbers can ignore you?

Jerry Winchester
10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Joe,

I'm telling you it's like two pages wide. It won't fit in my scanner.

Brother Lew,

We get a little leeway here because we are talking about a rally, not actually about airplanes.

Does your wife know you are using the computer in the middle of the day?

A-1 at OSH

lewpopp
10-25-2006, 10:01 PM
She is in to playing golf these days. Par 3 is out my front window. I also have her permission.

I want to buy an airplane. Where is a nice used airplane junk yard. Piper is nearby, I may get one of their new air pushers. What are they called? Jets? Prevost owner killers?

merle&louise
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Gary:

This is some of what you can see at OSH!

It is great, you'll love it if you like airplanes.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.airventure.org/2005/gallery/images/mon25/spaceshipone.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.airventure.org/2006/gallery/2005/july25.html&h=531&w=800&sz=114&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=nSNgqD92Nm33kM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DOSHKOSH%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3 D%26sa%3DN

Joe Cannarozzi
10-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Jerry, Debbie called Sport Pilot Mag. today and they are sending us a complimentary issue. She went looking for it and found you have to subscribe?

Anyway-we thought that was pretty nice of them:)

Joe Cannarozzi
10-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Jerry, Either we are blind or they sent us the wrong issues.

I,m looking at Sept. Oct. Nov. What are we missing:confused:

Jerry Winchester
10-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Go to the article about the Cessnas camping at the North 40. The start of the article is a two page photo. Look on the right side.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Thats not in any of the issues they sent us:(

ken&ellen
10-31-2006, 06:49 AM
Tom, Ellen & I would be interested in Sturgis with our new Road King. May not have time to do OSH as well. We have been multiple times and it is definitely a must see for those who have not been. Back to my question....what is the camping situation? Have you been? Is it full hook ups or dry camping? Any recommondations? Thanks Ken& Ellen

truk4u
10-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Ken & Ellen,
I've been there 6 times in the last 10 years and have stayed at various campgrounds, but our favorite is Hart Ranch. All of them have been full hookups, but I don't remember all the different names. You have to start really early in the spring, most of the places close for the winter. AP goes there often and maybe he can jump in here. Maybe we could get Jim to contact Hart Ranch (as the POG supreme commander) and see if he could wiggle us in and call it a mini rally. Hart Ranch becomes difficult to deal with for bike week, their Coast to Coast rates are blacked out and their favorite members end up with the sites. It would be a good try, really hard to get a good nights sleep anywhere else we have been.:D Good to hear from you, how's the move to Savannah coming?

Chris and Debbie Yates
10-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I am not familiar with Hart Ranch, but if you are able to get a good night's sleep there it is an improvement on where I have been staying (Glencoe Campground)
which requires earplugs.:eek:
One thought may be to stay a little further out of Sturgis but be close enough to do all the sights and rides.
Check out the KOA in Hulett WY www.devilstowerkoa.com
This is about 75 miles from Sturgis.
The rates don't look too bad.

AP

ken&ellen
10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Tom, We purchased a home in Springfield about 30 mins from downtown Savannah on Highway 21. We are on a two acre lot with Angus Beef cattle as our only neighbors.:D The heated pool will attract all my upstate NY buddies on their way to Fla.
I found a KOA in Rapid City which does not seem to far from Sturgis. There is also a online ad for a new luxury coach campground in Sturgis. Ken