PDA

View Full Version : Shake down Cruise

jj628
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
We had hoped to do a short trip with the new bus before heading for the east coast but that didn't work out so the first trip was a 3500 mile round trip to see how things work. For the most part the bus runs and operates like a Prevost should.
This is the part that some of you gear heads might find the most interesting. Early in the trip I started to get in intermitent " check transmission" light and the motor would shut down. I was puzzled because it was shifting perfectly, the temp was good and the fluid level was correct It would start right up but going down a turnpike in New York with no power was not my idea of fun. I diverted to a Detroit Diesel/Allison transmission shop in Middletown CT--spent Sunday night in their parking lot since there were no camps in the area. I was in the service managers office before they opened and the first thing they told me was the transmission can't shut the engine down. We got on the phone with Prevost and were led to a 24VDC 40/30 amp relay that controls the ecu/engine. That relay was not available in Middletown so I canabalized one from a circuit I could live without, swaped the two and went on my way with no other problems getting back to MO.
Nobody seems to know why the check trans light was coming on with no other warning lights coming on. My first stop this morning was at my local parts store to order proper relays to carry on board.
Point 2) Before I get too full of myself about the new ride I'll keep in mind what the tour driver at Niagara Falls told Charlene when she brought her home after her tour " Say, that sure is a nice camper you have there".
Point3) Regarding maserators, black water/ grey water ect---No problems now that we own a Prevost--everything comes out in plastic bags and the angels carry it away at midnight. :-) jjf